[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MPW 7.0 balloons speed and U-prices

mkh6317@zeus.tamu.edu (HOWARD, MATTHEW KENDALL) (05/15/91)

It is really annoying that Apple's own software breaks under their
new operating system.  Didn't they follow the guidelines? :-)
I understand that MPW3.1 doesn't have hooks to the new system
features but it really shouldn't break.

BTW,  I hope someone figures out real quick how to get rid of the
balloon crap.  If I'm not using it I don't want it taking up space
on the menu bar either. "This is a folder."  Jeeze.

Has anyone run speedometer on 7.0 release?  I noticed 7.0b4 was
significantly slower than 6.0.5-7.  I'm hoping that the release
executes faster.

What is the best University price on the personal-kit been?  The
lowest I've heard here on the net is $89.  This upgrade business
is starting to add up. $$  It seems that all my favorite software
is in the "must-upgrade" category.

Perhaps System 7.0 isn't for everybody, me for example.

macgyver@anaconda.cis.ohio-state.edu (MacGyver) (05/15/91)

In article <16226@helios.TAMU.EDU> mkh6317@zeus.tamu.edu writes:
>Has anyone run speedometer on 7.0 release?  I noticed 7.0b4 was
>significantly slower than 6.0.5-7.  I'm hoping that the release
>executes faster.

	I haven't done any speedometer test or anything like that.
But I can tell that 7.0 is significantly slower than System 6 from
just using it. It's understandable, considering all the stuff
that's in System 7.

--
Wilson MacGyver                      | True love strikes again, huh? That's
Internet:macgyver@cis.ohio-state.edu | the third time this week!

ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett) (05/15/91)

macgyver@anaconda.cis.ohio-state.edu (MacGyver) writes:

>In article <16226@helios.TAMU.EDU> mkh6317@zeus.tamu.edu writes:
>>Has anyone run speedometer on 7.0 release?  I noticed 7.0b4 was
>>significantly slower than 6.0.5-7.  I'm hoping that the release
>>executes faster.

>	I haven't done any speedometer test or anything like that.
>But I can tell that 7.0 is significantly slower than System 6 from
>just using it. It's understandable, considering all the stuff
>that's in System 7.

Especially since 7.0b4 is FULL OF DEBUGGING CODE. Just why does one expect
a BETA version of a rewritten operating system to act as polished as the
old one?

>--
>Wilson MacGyver                      | True love strikes again, huh? That's
>Internet:macgyver@cis.ohio-state.edu | the third time this week!
>=====================================| 			- Robin
>Disclaimer:All opinions are mine only|=======================================
--
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Lanett						ml27192@uxa.cs.uiuc.edu

wiechman@athos.rutgers.edu (NightMeower) (05/15/91)

In article <16226@helios.TAMU.EDU> mkh6317@zeus.tamu.edu (HOWARD, MATTHEW KENDALL) writes:

> It is really annoying that Apple's own software breaks under their
> new operating system.  Didn't they follow the guidelines? :-)
> I understand that MPW3.1 doesn't have hooks to the new system
> features but it really shouldn't break.

During the beta cycles, the notes said that you must use MPW 3.2 which
was in beta under System 7.0.  One could easily assume that one should
continue to do so under the final version.

Kevin
Kevin S. Wiechmann			arpa:  wiechman@cs.rutgers.edu

             This is only a test... for the next sixty seconds...

breidenb@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Oliver Breidenbach) (05/16/91)

In article <121478@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> macgyver@anaconda.cis.ohio-state.edu (MacGyver) writes:

>	I haven't done any speedometer test or anything like that.
>But I can tell that 7.0 is significantly slower than System 6 from
>just using it. It's understandable, considering all the stuff
>that's in System 7.

What machine are you using it on? On my IIfx it seems to be a lot faster than
6.0.7. (Norton SI on SoftPC indicates an increase of 2.5%).
But that's probably just because all those neat new features hit exactly my
needs and therefore increase my productivity.

Well done, Apple. But please rethink your distribution policy. If anyone
can get 7.0 from dealer, why is there no way for the experts to get it from
their friends legally? Anyone who wants to steal it will get it anyway.

Oliver. (who wants to be in san jose right now.)

macgyver@turtle.cis.ohio-state.edu (MacGyver) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May15.212001.24059@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE> breidenb@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Oliver Breidenbach) writes:
>What machine are you using it on? On my IIfx it seems to be a lot faster than
>6.0.7. (Norton SI on SoftPC indicates an increase of 2.5%).
>But that's probably just because all those neat new features hit exactly my
>needs and therefore increase my productivity.

	I tried it on regular Mac II, IIx, and SE/30, haven't gotten around
to install 7.0 on my IIfx because I don't have MPW 3.2 yet.

--

time@ice.com (Tim Endres) (05/16/91)

In article <16226@helios.TAMU.EDU> you write:
> It is really annoying that Apple's own software breaks under their
> new operating system.  Didn't they follow the guidelines? :-)
> I understand that MPW3.1 doesn't have hooks to the new system
> features but it really shouldn't break.

MPW is a very sophisticated program. I am surprised it has been as
compatbile as it has been with previous OS releases. Its breaking
under Sys7 is no more a surprise than its breaking under A/UX.

> BTW,  I hope someone figures out real quick how to get rid of the
> balloon crap.  If I'm not using it I don't want it taking up space
> on the menu bar either. "This is a folder."  Jeeze.

Turn it off.

> What is the best University price on the personal-kit been?  The
> lowest I've heard here on the net is $89.  This upgrade business
> is starting to add up. $$  It seems that all my favorite software
> is in the "must-upgrade" category.
>
> Perhaps System 7.0 isn't for everybody, me for example.

Sounds like that might be.

Tim Endres                |  time@ice.com
ICE Engineering           |  uupsi!ice.com!time
8840 Main Street          |  Voice            FAX
Whitmore Lake MI. 48189   |  (313) 449 8288   (313) 449 9208

Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Lawson English) (05/18/91)

Oliver Breidenbach writes in a message to All

OB> Well done, Apple. But please rethink your distribution policy.
OB> If anyone can get 7.0 from dealer, why is there no way for the
OB> experts to get it from their friends legally? Anyone who wants
OB> to steal it will get it anyway.

Is this true? My user's group will be carrying it on their BBS (fools!). The
AMUG will ship it for $25 + $3 shipping (includes The System 7 Book). Under
the assumption that we can share, a friend of mine and I have agreed to share
our copy once we get it.

From what you suggest, none of the above are legit...

Lawson

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!300!15.88!Lawson.English
Internet: Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org