[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Sys7 and memory leakage

gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu (Garance A. Drosehn) (05/20/91)

In article <53092@apple.Apple.COM>
           chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach, only here for the beer) writes:
> peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) writes:
>
> >> I have had another irritating problem with system 7.0 a few times. It
> >> eats up/fragments the WHOLE memory. Sometimes when there is not enough
> >> memory for doing something in the finder, because another program is
>
> >I've also had the same problem on an 8M Mac IIci.  Sounds like some
> >wierd memeory leakage to me...
>
> And I've been running 7.0 since Alpha 9 eight+ hours a day, and never seen
> this once...
>
> What INITs/Extenstions/Applications/etc are one these systems?

I've seen this problem too.  I'm running on a 4 meg Mac IIci.  Other than
system 7 stuff, I am running Superclock, MacTCP, Pyro, Suitcase 1.2.10, the new
version of the Apple CD-ROM software, and Ethertalk (phase 1, copied from my
previous system folder).  I'm running with both VM and 32-bit addressing turned
off.  I have file-sharing on, but that shouldn't make much difference seeing
that I'm the only one on our Appletalk network running system 7.

I have not had enough time to try to pin the leakage down at all.  It might
only happen when running MacTCP applications, for instance.

 -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Garance Alistair Drosehn   = gad@rpi.edu  or  gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
ITS Systems Programmer
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute;  Troy NY  USA

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (05/20/91)

In article <1rbhyzc@rpi.edu>, gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu (Garance A. Drosehn) writes:
> In article <53092@apple.Apple.COM>
>            chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach, only here for the beer) writes:

> > >I've also had the same problem on an 8M Mac IIci.  Sounds like some
> > >wierd memeory leakage to me...
> >
> > And I've been running 7.0 since Alpha 9 eight+ hours a day, and never seen
> > this once...
> >
> > What INITs/Extenstions/Applications/etc are one these systems?
>
> I've seen this problem too.  I'm running on a 4 meg Mac IIci.  Other than
> system 7 stuff, I am running Superclock, MacTCP, Pyro, Suitcase 1.2.10, the new
> version of the Apple CD-ROM software, and Ethertalk (phase 1, copied from my
> previous system folder).  I'm running with both VM and 32-bit addressing turned
> off.  I have file-sharing on, but that shouldn't make much difference seeing
> that I'm the only one on our Appletalk network running system 7.
>
> I have not had enough time to try to pin the leakage down at all.  It might
> only happen when running MacTCP applications, for instance.

I don't think it's MacTCP since I don't run that (no internet in my
house).  I didn't have filesharing turned on either.

What *seems* to happen is that I fill up, or almost fill up RAM, then
quit some of the Apps.  I also am pretty sure I've used a control
panel since bootup.

It's a hard one to characterize, but it happened twice this weekend.
I'll try to track it some more...

-- michael

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE