[comp.sys.mac.programmer] access internal clock for MIDI sequencer

defazio@ucunix.san.uc.edu (Joseph R. DeFazio) (05/21/91)

I would like to use pascal to build a MIDI sequencer, and need to know how
to access the mac's internal clock with more accuracy than is possible using
the "TickCount" Toolbox routine (which has a resolution of 1/60th of a second).

I am using Think Pascal, with the old MIDI Pascal MIDI drivers, and I would
appreciate your help
						thanks,
						Joe DeFazio
						defazio@ucunix.san.uc.edu

stevec@Apple.COM (Steve Christensen) (05/21/91)

In article <1991May20.210209.15993@ucunix.san.uc.edu> defazio@ucunix.san.uc.edu (Joseph R. DeFazio) writes:
>I would like to use pascal to build a MIDI sequencer, and need to know how
>to access the mac's internal clock with more accuracy than is possible using
>the "TickCount" Toolbox routine (which has a resolution of 1/60th of a second).

How about using the Time Manager (Inside Mac volume 4, page 297).  It will give
you 1ms resolution vs the 16ms resolution of TickCount...

steve

  Steve Christensen			Never hit a man with glasses.
  stevec@apple.com			Hit him with a baseball bat.

Eric.J.Baumgartner@dartmouth.edu (Eric J. Baumgartner) (05/22/91)

In article <53154@apple.Apple.COM>
stevec@Apple.COM (Steve Christensen) writes:

> In article <1991May20.210209.15993@ucunix.san.uc.edu> defazio@ucunix.san.uc.edu (Joseph R. DeFazio) writes:
> >I would like to use pascal to build a MIDI sequencer, and need to know how
> >to access the mac's internal clock with more accuracy than is possible using
> >the "TickCount" Toolbox routine (which has a resolution of 1/60th of a second).
>
> How about using the Time Manager (Inside Mac volume 4, page 297).  It will give
> you 1ms resolution vs the 16ms resolution of TickCount...

How about using the MIDI Manager??  It's available from APDA, although
Apple doesn't talk about it much.  It gives you a number of different
ways to handle timing, including milliseconds, ppq and hooking into
other MIDI devices or programs.  (Why Apple didn't include it in System
7 and IM VI is beyond me.  Anyone know?)

Eric Baumgartner
Interactive Media Lab
Dartmouth Medical School