[comp.sys.mac.programmer] TMON Pro thread

brad@ecst.csuchico.edu (Brad Lowe) (05/07/91)

Well, I've had TMON Pro for about a week now.  Quite the debugger.  It
took a few frustrating hours getting out of the Macsbug swing of things
(In fact I almost reinstalled Macsbugs and said the heck with it.)  But
now I'm happy I didn't (there is a Macsbug script to help the weening).
It has some really handy features like setting
breakpoints by control-clicking on an address, copy&paste, typing
over existing assembly to modify code  and all my dcmds still work!

But having grown up unixless, I'm having trouble writing scripts.
The documentation is a little sparse here..  I'd like to be able to
write some that traverse code or the stack, while selectivly doing
something usefull (like setting breakpoints at all Link a6's)...

How about we (I) compile a list of cool scripts, macros & aliai.  What do
you think?  Anyone found something super cool that youd like to share?

Brad Lowe
brad@cscihp.ecst.csuchico.edu
[yamma yamma yamma]

rotberg@dms.UUCP (Ed Rotberg) (05/07/91)

From article <1991May06.215642.5986@ecst.csuchico.edu>, by brad@ecst.csuchico.edu (Brad Lowe):
> Well, I've had TMON Pro for about a week now.  Quite the debugger.  It
>...(text deleted)
> How about we (I) compile a list of cool scripts, macros & aliai.  What do
> you think?  Anyone found something super cool that youd like to share?
>
> Brad Lowe
> brad@cscihp.ecst.csuchico.edu
> [yamma yamma yamma]

One thing that TMON Pro gives you that I put into use almost immediately, was
being able to define my own "structure" template for use in a Memory Window.
This is a fabulous aid to anyone who writes data-structure intensive code,
and who doesn't.  You define these templates by creating a set of resources.
What I haven't yet figured out is why ICOM didn't include a header compiler
to create these resources automatically from the .h files.  In any event,
I'm planning on writing one ASAP.  You would then be able to extend TMON
Pro's Memory Windows to understand your program's structures by just
running your .h files through this app that produces the necessary resources
in whatever file you specify. Let me know if there is any interest.

	- Ed Rotberg -

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (05/08/91)

In article <1242@dms.UUCP>, rotberg@dms.UUCP (Ed Rotberg) writes:
> >From article <1991May06.215642.5986@ecst.csuchico.edu>, by brad@ecst.csuchico.edu (Brad Lowe):
> > Well, I've had TMON Pro for about a week now.  Quite the debugger.  It
> >...(text deleted)
> > How about we (I) compile a list of cool scripts, macros & aliai.  What do
> > you think?  Anyone found something super cool that youd like to share?
> >
> > Brad Lowe
> > brad@cscihp.ecst.csuchico.edu
> > [yamma yamma yamma]
> >

> One thing that TMON Pro gives you that I put into use almost immediately, was
> being able to define my own "structure" template for use in a Memory Window.
> This is a fabulous aid to anyone who writes data-structure intensive code,
> and who doesn't.  You define these templates by creating a set of resources.
> What I haven't yet figured out is why ICOM didn't include a header compiler
> to create these resources automatically from the .h files.  In any event,
> I'm planning on writing one ASAP.  You would then be able to extend TMON
> Pro's Memory Windows to understand your program's structures by just
> running your .h files through this app that produces the necessary resources
> in whatever file you specify. Let me know if there is any interest.

What a pain!  You have to define the data structure templates
yourself?  All the info is in the .SYM files that MPW emits (or the
THINK project file).

Jasik's Debugger is far from perfect, but it reads .SYM files and
THINK C projects and displays variables in their native types.

-- michael

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE

Dave.Alverson@bbs.acs.unc.edu (Dave Alverson) (05/10/91)

Is there anyone with comments comparing TMON Pro with Jasik's Debugger?

I saw Jerry Whitnells comments, saying that he thought TMON Pro approaches or
exceeds The Debugger in power, and is easier to learn.  I am leaning toward
TMON Pro because I'm very comfortable with TMON now.  But several
team members at work don't have much experience with any debugger, and
we are thinking of The Debugger.  T.D. looks like it does source debugging,
which I don't think T.Pro does.  Our project at work is in C++ with MacApp.
One team member will be looking at SADE (which we already have), to see how
well it works.

BTW, I called MacConnection and MacWarehouse on Wednesday night (May 8),
and neither had TMON Pro yet.

Z    Dave Alverson, Mason OH
Z    davea@kgw2.xetron.com  -or-  Dave.Alverson@samba.acs.unc.edu

--
   The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the University of
     North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the Campus Office for Information

bradk@wimsey.bc.ca (Brad Kollmyer) (05/11/91)

In article <3712@beguine.UUCP> Dave.Alverson@bbs.acs.unc.edu (Dave Alverson) writes:
>team members at work don't have much experience with any debugger, and
>we are thinking of The Debugger.  T.D. looks like it does source debugging,
>which I don't think T.Pro does.  Our project at work is in C++ with MacApp.

You are right The Debugger does great source level debugging, and TMON Pro
does not. As for easy of learning I think The Debugger is harder to learn
and use, but can be more powerful in certain areas. I use either one depending
on the job I have to get done.

Brad Kollmyer
bradk@wimsey.bc.ca

) (05/11/91)

It took me 1 year of trying to work with TMON 2.8.4 before I trashed
it in favor of Macsbug 6.0. For reasons only known to Kos, the god of Dooms,
I decided to upgrade to TMON Pro.
It took me 1 Hour to get it up and configured the way I wanted it. The dox
are much improved, and the Tutorial is wonderful (and funny!!!). Whoever
ICOM hired to do their technical writing gets a beer whenever they're in town!

One icky thing about their technical support is that they explicitly state
that will not offer any support via phone.

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (opcode ranger) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May10.192645.10700@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, sjhg9320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Vomit on a Stick! ) writes:
[...[

> One icky thing about their technical support is that they explicitly state
> that will not offer any support via phone.

I used HyperTMON at a client's and could never get it to work correctly.  I
spoke to tech support at ICOM and even wrote up a bug report with sample code
and everything and mailed it in by USMail -- at their request.  I never heard
from them.  About 3 months later I called them up and all I could get was that
an update was due out any day (what happened to my bug report?  Who knows...).
The update never came.  I never used HyperTMON (it's now a fairly useless
produce anyway, with HyperCard 2.0).

The point being: I hope that their support for TMON Pro is better than their
USMail support in the past (particularly since I placed my upgrade order last
week :->).

Robert

= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "Good tea.        =
=            		         * all my opinions are *  Nice house."     =
=                                * mine                *  -Worf            =

dmac@athena.mit.edu (David S. McCormick) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May10.192645.10700@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
sjhg9320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Vomit on a Stick! ) writes:
> One icky thing about their technical support is that they explicitly
state
> that will not offer any support via phone.

This is true, but they do have email/online support via CompuServe and
AppleLink, and you can use a fax number.  I understand that this does not
imply that they will answer you, but there are more channels in.