[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Psst! Hey buddy, want MPW 3.2?

richards@eng.auburn.edu (Eric J. Richards) (05/20/91)

Like most MPW people, I found a rather rude and shocking
dialog waiting for me with System 7:  sorry, you have
to upgrade if you want to run MPW. SOB!

Then I started thinking.  I need the latest version.  I
need version 3.2.  I don't have the right... version.
Hmm... version.  As in vers-ion.  Where's my copy of
ResEdit?  Where's that vers resource?

So now it's running, though I don't know if I should
be running it or not, as in, am I going to lose anything?
I'd hate for my thesis on a platform free GUI to say
disappear.  What?  Oh, yeah, backups.  Right.

The only problem I've had so far is that Build, command-B,
doesn't work.  File O/I OS error, so I just have to type in:

BuildProgram <program-name>

Anything else evil lurking out there?  Is this a good idea?

\ Eric Richards, Auburn University   "Money can't buy happiness. \
 \   InterNet:                        Then again, happiness can't \
\\\       richards@eng.auburn.edu     buy government insured CD's."\
 \\\ BitNet:                                                        \
  \\\     erichard@ducvax.auburn.edu         -- David Addison        \
   \\\________________________________________________________________\
    \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (05/22/91)

In article <1991May19.140556.4205@ducvax.auburn.edu> richards@eng.auburn.edu (Eric J. Richards) writes:
>Like most MPW people, I found a rather rude and shocking
>dialog waiting for me with System 7:  sorry, you have
>to upgrade if you want to run MPW. SOB!
>
>Then I started thinking.  I need the latest version.  I
>need version 3.2.  I don't have the right... version.
>Hmm... version.  As in vers-ion.  Where's my copy of
>ResEdit?  Where's that vers resource?
>
>So now it's running, though I don't know if I should
>be running it or not, as in, am I going to lose anything?
>I'd hate for my thesis on a platform free GUI to say
>disappear.  What?  Oh, yeah, backups.  Right.
>
>The only problem I've had so far is that Build, command-B,
>doesn't work.  File O/I OS error, so I just have to type in:
>
>BuildProgram <program-name>
>
>Anything else evil lurking out there?  Is this a good idea?

You got MPW 3.1 to work except for that one problem??? Incredible!
Everyone else I know found the major problem the hard way - that you
can't save any changes to your text files. If you are managing to save
your files, then some incredibly weird interaction is taking place...

Keith Rollin  ---  Apple Computer, Inc.
INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"But where the senses fail us, reason must step in."  - Galileo

richards@eng.auburn.edu (Eric J. Richards) (05/23/91)

In article <53160@apple.Apple.COM>, keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) writes:
|> In article <1991May19.140556.4205@ducvax.auburn.edu> richards@eng.auburn.edu (Eric J. Richards) writes:
|> >
|> ... what I wrote
|> >Anything else evil lurking out there?  Is this a good idea?
|>
|> You got MPW 3.1 to work except for that one problem??? Incredible!
|> Everyone else I know found the major problem the hard way - that you
|> can't save any changes to your text files. If you are managing to save
|> your files, then some incredibly weird interaction is taking place...
|>
|> --
|> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|> Keith Rollin  ---  Apple Computer, Inc.
|> INTERNET: keith@apple.com
|>     UUCP: {decwrl, hoptoad, nsc, sun, amdahl}!apple!keith
|> "But where the senses fail us, reason must step in."  - Galileo

Oh.  Guess that's what I get for using another editor.  Whew... sorta.
Is that it, though?  It won't matter, I guess, here in a few weeks.

nicky@apple.apple.com (Nick Pilch) (05/24/91)

Please don't run MPW 3.1 under system 7. There are good reasons that the
system goes through the trouble of warning you. You may experience problems
with FileShare, VM and many other things.

Disclaimer: Apple has nothing to do with this posting.

Nick Pilch
Development Systems Group
Apple Computer
nicky@cup.portal.com