[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Looking for TextEdit Code

slang@bnr.ca (Steven Langlois) (05/22/91)

In my current application I use TextEdit to implement a tracing capability
of what's arriving on the serial port. The text scrolls in a window
and the user can select, cut, copy, print, etc but can not edit. If the
user scrolls back in the trace, new text is added to the end but the
text is not scrolled into view (very much like what Microphone does).

I used TextEdit and it worked fine for this purpose but now, of course,
I would like the tracing window to contain more than 30000 or so characters.
Right now, characters are lost at the top when the tracing window gets to
30k characters. I am looking for code, preferrably Pascal, that implements
a virtual TextEdit with disk swapping or any other suitable substitute.
I realize I may have to write this myself, but if I can get it for free
(especially time wise) it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Steven Langlois
ISDN Basic Rate Access
BNR, a subsidiary of Northern Telecom

Internet: slang@bnr.ca

grh@rhi.hi.is (Gisli Runar Hjaltason) (05/23/91)

In <1991May22.124357.5348@bmers95.bnr.ca> slang@bnr.ca (Steven Langlois) writes:
>[...] I am looking for code, preferrably Pascal, that implements
>a virtual TextEdit with disk swapping or any other suitable substitute.
>I realize I may have to write this myself, but if I can get it for free
>(especially time wise) it would be very much appreciated.

I have a TextEdit substitute that's nearly finished. It's limits are as follows:
- supports only crOnly,
- text length within 2MB and lines fewer than 2,000,000,
- memory based (not so bad with VM) and
- single font and style.
It supports tabs and hopefully the Script Manager.

I'm willing to share this code with you, but I do not know when I get it
finished (you know, the last 10% constitute 90% of the time), maybe not until
next August :-( . There are so many other projects that wait for my time...
Gisli R. Hjaltason
grh@rhi.hi.is
  Iceland

kieling@apple.com (mark kieling) (05/24/91)

There is a package called Word Solution Engine by DataPak Software
(206-573-9155) the does what you want and much more.

- mark