[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Think Pascal, Sys 7, & Apple Menu...

dweisman@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Ordinary Man) (05/19/91)

	Is there maybe a bug in Think Pascal under System 7 for the new Apple
menu? When the Event manager tells me that the user selected an item from the
apple menu (greater than 2), you're supposed to call GetItem and then
OpenDeskAcc right? Well, did System 7 patch the AddResMenu and OpenDeskAcc
calls to make them work right. It must have. But why can't I write a new
program to support this? What happens is, I select an item from the apple menu
and nothing seems to happen. That is, until I quit my program. Then the item is
"run." This is regardless of whether I'm in Think Pascal's enivironment or as a
stand-alone application. Any particular reason for this strangeness?

System info: Mac Classic (and LC) with 4 megs RAM each, System 7, and Think
	     Pascal 3.0.2. (All extensions disabled, too)

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer...

Dan
/-------------------------------------------------------------------------\
|   Dan Weisman -  University of Miami - Florida   |  ||   ||   ||   ||   |
|--------------------------------------------------|  ||   ||   ||\ /||   |
|   INTERNET  -----> dweisman@umiami.IR.Miami.edu  |  ||   ||   || | ||   |
|     BITNET  -----> dweisman@umiami               |  |||||||   || | ||   |
| "...the fact is- this friction will only be worn by persistance." -RUSH |
\_________________________________________________________________________/

glenn@gla-aux.uucp (Glenn Austin) (05/25/91)

In article <1991May19.030239.10018@umiami.ir.miami.edu>, dweisman@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Ordinary Man) writes:
> What happens is, I select an item from the apple menu
> and nothing seems to happen. That is, until I quit my program. Then the item is
> "run." This is regardless of whether I'm in Think Pascal's enivironment or as a
> stand-alone application. Any particular reason for this strangeness?

If the Finder can't get its AppleEvent to launch the DA item, then it won't
open.  You ARE calling WaitNextEvent and not using the "evil" SetEventMask,
are you???

| Glenn L. Austin                | "Turn too soon, run out of room.           |
| Macintosh Wizard and           |    Turn too late, much better fate."       |
| Auto Racing Driver             |   -- Jim Russell Racing School Instructors |
| Usenet:  glenn@gla-aux.uucp         | CI$:       76354,1434                 |
| GENie:   G.AUSTIN3                  | AOnline:   GAustin                    |