[comp.sys.mac.programmer] THINK Pascal 3.0.2 problems

danny@utkux1.utk.edu ("Danny W. McCampbell") (05/15/91)

I am write a chunk of code that simple draws the Menu Bar for my program,
but when I run it from within Think Pascal 3.02 I get a bus error at the
designated line:

 procedure Menus;
 begin	{Menus}
  ClearMenuBar;		{Clear old Menu Bar}
  vBPMBAR := GetNewMBar(BPMBAR);		{Get the MBAR for BP}
  SetMenuBar(vBPMBAR);						{Set BP's MBAR as current Menu Bar}
  DisposHandle(vBPMBAR);					{Release handle from Memory}
  vAppleMenu := GetMHandle(AppleMenu);	{Get the handle for the Apple Menu}
  AddResMenu(vAppleMenu, 'DRVR');			{Add the Desk Accessories}
  DrawMenuBar;								{Draw the Menu Bar now}-----------Bus Error right
here!
 end;		{Menus}

I have an SE/30 with 8 megs of Ram running 7.0b4.

Please help me out.  Thanks

Danny McCampbell
Computer Operator/Systems Analyst
University of Tennessee (Knoxville)
2339 Dunford Hall
Knoxville,  TN  37916
Phone:  (615)  974-0138

siegel@world.std.com (Rich Siegel) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May14.180045.483@cs.utk.edu> danny@utkux1.utk.edu ("Danny W. McCampbell") writes:
>I am write a chunk of code that simple draws the Menu Bar for my program,
>but when I run it from within Think Pascal 3.02 I get a bus error at the
>designated line:
>
> procedure Menus;
> begin	{Menus}
>  ClearMenuBar;		{Clear old Menu Bar}
>  vBPMBAR := GetNewMBar(BPMBAR);		{Get the MBAR for BP}
>  SetMenuBar(vBPMBAR);			{Set BP's MBAR as current Menu Bar}
>  DisposHandle(vBPMBAR);		{Release handle from Memory}
>  vAppleMenu := GetMHandle(AppleMenu);	{Get the handle for the Apple Menu}
>  AddResMenu(vAppleMenu, 'DRVR');	{Add the Desk Accessories}
>  DrawMenuBar;	{Draw the Menu Bar now}-----------Bus Error right
>here!
> end;		{Menus}

Don't DisposeHandle the menu bar you're about to draw with, and it should
work correctly.

(This is neither a Pascal 3.0.2 nor a System 7.0b4 problem, as far as I can
tell.)
>I have an SE/30 with 8 megs of Ram running 7.0b4.
>
>Please help me out.  Thanks
>
>Danny McCampbell
>Computer Operator/Systems Analyst
>University of Tennessee (Knoxville)
>2339 Dunford Hall
>Knoxville,  TN  37916
>Phone:  (615)  974-0138

R.
Rich Siegel                              Internet: siegel@world.std.com
Software Engineer                        Applelink: SIEGEL
Symantec Languages Group

rhart@anaconda.cis.ohio-state.edu (ronald thomas hart) (05/21/91)

	Outbursts of emotion are neccessary.
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.programmer
Subject: HyperCard Help!

	I'm having trouble with a scolling field in HyperCard.  When a
selection is hilited, then chosen, an event occurs (i.e. showing a card field).
When the event occurs the selection gets "deselected" and is no longer
hilited.  This makes for a very ugly implementation.  I have tried using
SelectLineXCMD but to no avail.  Does anybody have a possible workaround for
this problem.  I posted in the HyperCard section but the newsgroup is no
longer available.

Thanks,
	Ron

zune@lysator.liu.se (Andreas Magnusson) (05/24/91)

Well, this is starting to get serious. I upgraded the compiler to 3.0.2
and tried to compile my project. It crashes at the same place as 3.0.1
crashes. Rather annoying!
What happens is this:
	I call SFGetFile with OK parameters.
	The compiler complains. When I start to remove debug support
	it ends up in uRuntime.lib with "Illegal Instruction"!

Have anybody encountered this problem? I'm running in a vanilla (almost)
SE with 2 diskdrives and 2.5 Mb memory.

/Andreas

--
| Andreas Magnusson                  || Vet ni varf|r datavetare {r s}      |
| Linkoping Institute of Technology  || smarta? Jo, de LISTAR ut allt!      |

smargari@nmsu.edu (Susan Margarit) (05/27/91)

Well, I hate to ask the obvious, but I have had experiences in the
past where the managers were not initialized and sometimes
GetFile/PutFile worked and sometimes it crashed spectacularly. So,
have you invoked the magic incantation that initializes the various
managers? (ie. InitGraf,InitFonts etc.)

Jim.