[comp.sys.mac.programmer] System-Switcher and 7.0

tarr@cs.yale.edu (05/23/91)

I am currently running 6.0.7 on my disk. I would like to put 7.0 on the disk as
well (either on the same partition or a different partition) and then use
System-Switcher to switch between them.

1. How do I install 7.0 without trashing my 6.0.7 system.

2. How do I use system-switcher to switch? There is no manual.

3. Do I need the desktop manager init to avoid having 7.0 build a new desktop
each time I switch (and do I need a separate init for each partition?) Does
this work with SilverLining?

ajr3@quads.uchicago.edu (alain joel roy) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May23.164835.25577@cs.yale.edu> tarr@cs.yale.edu writes:
>I am currently running 6.0.7 on my disk. I would like to put 7.0 on the disk as
>well (either on the same partition or a different partition) and then use
>System-Switcher to switch between them.
>
>1. How do I install 7.0 without trashing my 6.0.7 system.

Copy your system and finder to a new directory. bless it. install over that
system

>2. How do I use system-switcher to switch? There is no manual.

run the program. search for systems (there's a button for this). Click the one
you wish to run.

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May23.164835.25577@cs.yale.edu> tarr@cs.yale.edu writes:
>I am currently running 6.0.7 on my disk. I would like to put 7.0 on the disk
>as well (either on the same partition or a different partition) and then use
>System-Switcher to switch between them.

Why?  There doesn't seem to be a need to keep 6.0.7 around unless you
have an application that specifically dies under 7.0; in general, 7.0
is less buggy than 6.0.7.

>1. How do I install 7.0 without trashing my 6.0.7 system.

Create a folder in your System Folder and drag your Finder to it, then
rename the "System Folder" to something like "System Six" (or anything
else).  Then do the System 7.0 installation.  Because you have no
valid system folder any longer nor a folder named "System Folder" on
the root level of your hard drive, your old system files won't be
disturbed.

>2. How do I use system-switcher to switch? There is no manual.

What `system-switcher' do you mean?

The easiest way to switch between System A and System B is:

- Drag the Finder in System Folder A someplace out of the main level
of System Folder A.

- Drag the Finder for System Folder B back into the main level of
System Folder B.

- Reboot.

>3. Do I need the desktop manager init to avoid having 7.0 build a new desktop
>each time I switch (and do I need a separate init for each partition?) Does
>this work with SilverLining?

It should work with Silverlining.  I don't recall if the Desktop
Manager eliminates the desktop rebuilding or not.

     << Brian >>

| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"

MacUserLabs@cup.portal.com (Stephan - Somogyi) (05/27/91)

tarr@cs.yale.edu writes:

>Do I need the desktop manager init to avoid having 7.0 build a new
>desktop each time I switch

As far as I know, the file format of the 7.0 DMGR and the DMGR INIT
are subtly different. (Dean?) Rebuilding each time is a good idea.

>Does this work with SilverLining?

5.28 and later.

Stephan Somogyi                   net.nerd                     MacUser