[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Drawing Points

rasnow@bek-mc.caltech.edu (Brian Rasnow) (05/28/91)

>In article <9768@cg-atla.UUCP> kincaid@cg-atla.UUCP (Tom Kincaid ) writes:
>
>   In looking through the QuickDraw documentation in Inside Mac.
>   Volume I, there does not seem to be a plot point primitive.
>
>The obvious, intuitive way of doing this is:
>
>MoveTo ( x , y ) ;
>Line ( 0 , 0 ) ;

  The Think C profiler tells me Line(0,0), Line(0,1)  and Line(1,0) are nearly
twice as slow as Line(1,1).  I have no idea why, but keep that in mind if
speed counts.
   Regarding another posting that a Point primitive is not necessary, I find
that philosophy interesting though I don't think I agree.  I frequently wish
to fill a minimal area symmetrical region of the screen, which is a point.
Yes, I can think of that as a minimal line segment, or a minimal rectangle
and call FillRect, or FillOval, but I think a point primitive could be much
faster than any of these.

		Brian

Brian Rasnow, Caltech, Pasadena, CA 91125
rasnow@bek-mc.cns.caltech.edu
rasnow@caltech.bitnet