[comp.sys.mac.programmer] i've got those THINK C 4.02 blues...

lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim) (05/24/91)

In article <10522@pitt.UUCP> andre@elvis.cs.pitt.edu () writes:
>[...]
>* blinking or otherwise indicating matching parens and braces would be
>nice.  the existing balance (command-b) does not do the trick.  it
>does select the area bounded by the delimiter, but i have to be
>careful not to type before clicking to deselect.

Well, a left arrow or a right arrow moves you to the start or end of
the block, if that helps.

>[...]
>* if i use prototypes but i am sucking in source that does not use
>prototypes, i either need to convert my code or the code that i'm
>copying.  the gcc philosophy (with the appropriate switches) is to
>provide the prototyping features when they are used but to also accept
>unprototyped functions in the same source file.

If you want to use prototypes when they are provided but not require
them, then uncheck Require Prototypes in the Preferences dialog box.
This should do exactly what you want.

>* contrary to popular belief that grep feature is limited to files in
>the project.  if there is someone out there looking for a shareware
>project, a simple fgrep da would be nice.

grep works in single files outside a project but it doesn't search
multiple files outside a project, if that's what you mean.  There already
is a grep DA.  I think you can find it on sumex.

>[...]
>if anyone has any suggestions or homebrew patches, i would welcome
>them.  i can't afford mpw so don't offer that as an idea.  i'm going
>to try using uemacs as an editor and then load the source files into
>project.  my guess is that think c won't notice that the file has
>changed on disk and reload it so this solution will most likely be
>abandoned.

This should work if you choose the Make command explicitly and click
the Use Disk button to get THINK C to check the date/time of the last
modification.  IMO, this a pain, but I guess you could set up a macro
to do this.

+++
Lloyd Lim     Internet: lim@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu
              America Online: LimUnltd
              Compuserve: 72647,660
              US Mail: 215 Lysle Leach Hall, U.C. Davis, Davis, CA 95616

glenn@gla-aux.uucp (Glenn Austin) (05/29/91)

In article <10522@pitt.UUCP>, andre@elvis.cs.pitt.edu writes:
> * i don't always want the cursor to move to the indent level of the
> previous line.  some people always want it to.  some people never want
> it to.

Option-return returns the cursor to the left edge of the document (at least
when auto-indent is on).

> * contrary to popular belief that grep feature is limited to files in
> the project.  if there is someone out there looking for a shareware
> project, a simple fgrep da would be nice.

I use Gofer for this -- it's great and FAST!  Of course, I got it with Disktop
4.0...

| Glenn L. Austin                | "Turn too soon, run out of room.           |
| Macintosh Wizard and           |    Turn too late, much better fate."       |
| Auto Racing Driver             |   -- Jim Russell Racing School Instructors |
| Don't take me too seriously -- I never do!  :-)                             |
| Usenet:  glenn@gla-aux.uucp or glenn%gla-aux.uucp@skinner.cs.uoregon.edu    |