[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Does system 7.0 support ResEdit 2.1's Auto Positioning for windows?

ari@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ari Halberstadt) (05/27/91)

ResEdit 2.1 allows you to set an "Auto Position" attribute for 'DLOG',
'ALRT', and 'WIND' resources.  After browsing through IM-VI and the
ResEdit 2.1 manual I didn't see any explanation of how the Window
Manager will auto-position windows, or how to indicate to the Window
Manager which window is a another window's parent. Was this feature
planned for system 7.0 but didn't make it by the release date, or am I
overlooking something?

jackb@MDI.COM (Jack Brindle) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May27.005435.26313@dartvax.dartmouth.edu> ari@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ari Halberstadt) writes:
>ResEdit 2.1 allows you to set an "Auto Position" attribute for 'DLOG',
>'ALRT', and 'WIND' resources.  After browsing through IM-VI and the
>ResEdit 2.1 manual I didn't see any explanation of how the Window
>Manager will auto-position windows, or how to indicate to the Window
>Manager which window is a another window's parent. Was this feature
>planned for system 7.0 but didn't make it by the release date, or am I
>overlooking something?

This info is discussed at some length in Volume VI's Window Manager
chapter. You can now get the window manager to auto position windows
just about any way you can imagine...

Jack Brindle
ham radio: wa4fib/7

REEKES@applelink.apple.com (Jim Reekes) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May27.005435.26313@dartvax.dartmouth.edu>, ari@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ari Halberstadt) writes:

> ResEdit 2.1 allows you to set an "Auto Position" attribute for 'DLOG',
> 'ALRT', and 'WIND' resources.  After browsing through IM-VI and the
> ResEdit 2.1 manual I didn't see any explanation of how the Window
> Manager will auto-position windows, or how to indicate to the Window
> Manager which window is a another window's parent. Was this feature
> planned for system 7.0 but didn't make it by the release date, or am I
> overlooking something?

It works in System 7.  The auto positions are checked for by the
Window Manager.  You can over-ride them by moving the window after calling
GetNewWindow.

Jim Reekes E.O., Macintosh Toolbox Engineering