[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Changing Finder & System

rgonzal@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Ralph Gonzalez) (05/23/91)

I finally installed System 7, and immediately tried to change the
System and Finder resources for the Trash icon, etc.  Of course, I
made the changes on copies of the System and Finder, using ResEdit.
The problem is, I don't seem to be able to change the names of the
active Finder and System files so I can restart with the modified
ones.  I even tried rebooting off a floppy and I STILL couldn't change
the names of the old Finder and System.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but can someone tell me what to do?
Thanks!

-Ralph

PS - I know SUM II needs to be updated before it can be used with
System 7.0.  Does this mean I shouldn't use the Shield init?

rgonzal@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Ralph Gonzalez) (05/24/91)

Thanks, I got a suggestion that worked.  The reason I had trouble before was
that I made modified copies of both the System and the Finder, and
then
moved the original System and Finder into a different folder TOGETHER.

When I rebooted, the Mac decided to use the original System and
Finder,
and simply treated the folder containing them as the System folder.

All I had to do was to put the originals into DIFFERENT folders.
Actually,
when I first did this I couldn't boot at all, so I ended up having
to use the original Finder and new System in the System folder, then
rebooting, then replacing the original Finder with the new one.
finally,
I was able to trash the original Finder and System.

Sorry if this all seems a little trivial, but I spent hours on this
yesterday.

-Ralph Gonzalez
(rgonzal@elbereth.rutgers.edu)

brad@aero.org (Bradley A. West) (05/25/91)

In article <May.23.12.09.28.1991.29187@elbereth.rutgers.edu> rgonzal@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Ralph Gonzalez) writes:

>I finally installed System 7, and immediately tried to change the
>System and Finder resources for the Trash icon, etc.  Of course, I
>made the changes on copies of the System and Finder, using ResEdit.
>The problem is, I don't seem to be able to change the names of the
>active Finder and System files so I can restart with the modified
>ones.  I even tried rebooting off a floppy and I STILL couldn't change
>the names of the old Finder and System.
>
>Sorry if this is a dumb question, but can someone tell me what to do?
>Thanks!

Using ResEdit select the 'Get File/Folder Info' for System and Finder.
Then deselect the 'System' checkbox for each and save.  Now you can change the
names!

Brad

PS - not a dumb question at all.

aoki@husc9.harvard.edu (Edwin Aoki) (05/25/91)

There is an easier way (if you're a bit more daring....)  Using the Process
manager sample code for ProcDoggie (available at ftp.apple.com under the
dts/mac/system7/source directory (I think)), you can actually quit the finder.
Then, use ResEdit to make any changes you like and when you quit ProcDoggie,
the Finder comes back.  Of course, this is DANGEROUS -- and ylou should always
have a backup before proceeding....

On a related note, does anyone know the format of the fvars (Finder Variables)
resource?  I'd like to eliminate the Trash Can warning, and there are variables
for "Automatically delete trash and for Trashcan warnings" or something to
that effect.  Anyone know how to do this?  A tech note reference perhaps?

Thanks in advance.

-Edwin Aoki
(aoki@husc9.harvard.edu)

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (05/26/91)

In article <1991May25.084945.1163@husc3.harvard.edu> aoki@husc9.harvard.edu (Edwin Aoki) writes:
>On a related note, does anyone know the format of the fvars (Finder Variables)
>resource?  I'd like to eliminate the Trash Can warning, and there are variables
>for "Automatically delete trash and for Trashcan warnings" or something to
>that effect.  Anyone know how to do this?  A tech note reference perhaps?

Edwin,

I don't know the format of the fvar resource, but for this task, you
don't need to know it. Just do a "Get Info" on the Trash. You'll be
presented with a dialog box with a check box that allows you to turn
this option on and off. This, along with being able to Command-Click on
a window's title to see the directory hierarchy, has got to be one of
the more obscure Finder features.

Keith Rollin  ---  Apple Computer, Inc.
INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"But where the senses fail us, reason must step in."  - Galileo

Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Lawson English) (05/26/91)

Keith Rollin writes in a message to All

KR> Just do a "Get Info" on the Trash. You'll be presented with a
KR> dialog box with a check box that allows you to turn this option
KR> on and off.
KR> This, along with being able to Command-Click on a window's title
KR> to see the directory hierarchy, has got to be one of the more
KR> obscure Finder features

The System 7 Book mentions both of these...

Lawson

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!300!15.88!Lawson.English
Internet: Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org

Randomizer@cup.portal.com (Aron Fingers Nelson) (05/29/91)

On a related note of changing system resources, does anyone know how I
can shorten the DATE when including date views in the view control panel?
It takes up a lot of space horizontally on my 9" display.

Anyway to shorten it like I could with Layout?

Thanks in advance,

Aron_Nelson@cup.portal.com