From comp.sys.mac.digest Sat May 25 21:42:31 1991
Date: Thu, 23 May 91 15:46:14 SDT
From: "Alexander Falk (ALF)" <K360950%EDVZ.UNI-Linz.AC.@@forsythe.stanford.edu>
Subject: Customizing the System 7.0 Finder

The new Finder for System 7.0 has indeed been completely rewritten (in C++)
and this is the very reason why none of the old ways to customize the
Finder with ResEdit work anymore.
There are, however, a couple of things you can actually do with ResEdit
in the new Finder, too. The menus are stored in resources of type 'fmnu'
(they include quite a bit more information than would fit in the regular
'MENU' resource type) and here is how you can edit them: Use ResEdit
(preferrably 2.1, but it should also work with older versions) to modify
the ResEdit Preferences file (in the Preferences folder inside your
System Folder) by adding a new resource of type 'TMPL'. Create 15 new
fields in the list and enter the following values for "Label" and "Type":

   Label            Type      Comment
   Visible          DWRD      1=Menu is visible in Menubar; 0=invisible
   Item Count       DWRD      the number of items in the menu plus 1
   ???              DWRD      ???
   Menu Number      DWRD      the resource ID of the 'fmnu'
   ???              DWRD      ???
   ???              DWRD      ???
   Title            ESTR      title of menu (padded to an even length)
   *****            LSTB      begin of item list
   AppleEvent       TNAM      corresponding AppleEvent for this item
   ???              DBYT      ???
   ???              DBYT      ???
   Cmd Key          CHAR      keyboard equivalent of command
   ???              DBYT      ???
   Item Text        ESTR      text of item
   *****            LSTE      end of item list

Please note, that a "???" indicates, that I simply don't know what these
fields contain (maybe they will one day be documented by Apple).
Once you've entered this list, close the 'TMPL' resource you've just
created and change it's name to 'fmnu' (using the "Get Resource Info"
command). Finally close and save the preferences file. You are now
ready to edit the Finder's menus!

There is, however, one tricky thing to actually do this: you have to
create a duplicate of the Finder, edit the copy, and finally replace it
in the System Folder and reboot.

While the above technique will actually give you the same freedom of
customization that you already had in the 6.0.x days, there is lots
more you can do with the new 'fmnu' resources:

1) The 'fmnu' resource type is NOT position-dependent anymore! This
   means that you can actually completely REARRANGE the menus in the
   Finder. All you need to do is make sure that you copy all the
   information stored in the various fields of an item to it's new
   destination (copy/paste can be a lot of help here!). You can
   even create your own menu and move commands from other menus to
   the new one!
2) If you find yourself getting annoyed by the fact that you always
   have to go through a lengthy duplicate/edit-the-copy/replace/reboot
   sequence to try out a new variation, the following might be a tip for
   you: you can actually add a "Quit" command to the Finder!
   Here is how: Open the "File" 'fmnu' and add 2 to the number of menu
   items (Item Count); Copy a separation line and append it to the end
   of the menu; Create another new item at the end of the menu; For this
   last item put 'quit' in the AppleEvent field, -127 in the next field
   (the one labeled ???), and finally "Quit" in the item text field.
   What this actually does is tell the Finder to send a "quit" AppleEvent
   to itself every time you choose that command from the menu. If you
   now want to customize the Finder, life is suddenly easy: just launch
   ResEdit; switch to the Finder; Quit from the Finder (doesn't that
   sound weird?!); edit the Finder from within ResEdit; Quit from
   ResEdit (once you quit the last running application the Mac will
   relaunch the Finder); voila - you are back in the Finder and didn't
   even have to reboot in order to see your newly customized Finder.

By the way, all the above assumes that you know how to use ResEdit. If
you don't, please don't attempt this, as it might damage your Finder.
Which reminds me: it is always a wise idea to keep a backup of your
original Finder (just in case something goes wrong....).

I will post more Finder customization tips as soon as I understand
the other new resource types.....

Happy Seven-Oh-ing,

(A) (L) exander  (F) alk

greggor@Apple.COM (Greg L. Anderson) (05/27/91)

>From comp.sys.mac.digest Sat May 25 21:42:31 1991
>Date: Thu, 23 May 91 15:46:14 SDT
>From: "Alexander Falk (ALF)" <K360950%EDVZ.UNI-Linz.AC.@@forsythe.stanford.edu>
>Subject: Customizing the System 7.0 Finder
>
>1) The 'fmnu' resource type is NOT position-dependent anymore! This
>   means that you can actually completely REARRANGE the menus in the
>   Finder. All you need to do is make sure that you copy all the
>   information stored in the various fields of an item to it's new
>   destination (copy/paste can be a lot of help here!). You can
>   even create your own menu and move commands from other menus to
>   the new one!

This is true, but please note that balloon help will be screwed up
if you do this.  You could conceivably change the Help Balloon
menu templates to match your new setup -- you'll find them in the
"Finder Help" extension.

I'm not sure I should give out more information than this, so I won't.

--
-----------------	----------------------
Greg Anderson		User Programming Group	    ()    "Ponnuki

mkelly@comix.cs.uoregon.edu (Michael A. Kelly) (05/27/91)

In article <53359@apple.Apple.COM> greggor@Apple.COM (Greg L. Anderson) writes:
>>From: "Alexander Falk (ALF)" <K360950%EDVZ.UNI-Linz.AC.@@forsythe.stanford.edu>
>>
>>1) The 'fmnu' resource type is NOT position-dependent anymore! This
>>   means that you can actually completely REARRANGE the menus in the
>>   Finder. All you need to do is make sure that you copy all the
[...]
>This is true, but please note that balloon help will be screwed up
>if you do this.  You could conceivably change the Help Balloon
>menu templates to match your new setup -- you'll find them in the
>"Finder Help" extension.

But then again, anyone who can use ResEdit to such a degree probably doesn't
give a damn about the Finder's balloon help.  Which brings me to my
question, a question that has been asked before, and one which I haven't seen
any responses to:

Is it possible to get rid of the balloon help icon in the menu bar, and if
so, how is it done?

Mike.
Michael A. Kelly                                   America Online: Michael792
mkelly@cs.uoregon.edu                                  Compu$erve: 73567,1651

chem0255@waikato.ac.nz (05/28/91)

In article <1991May27.001215.11284@cs.uoregon.edu>, mkelly@comix.cs.uoregon.edu (Michael A. Kelly) writes:

> Stuff deleted...
>
> Is it possible to get rid of the balloon help icon in the menu bar, and if
> so, how is it done?
>

> Mike.

One answer to this has been addressed in com.sys.mac.system. Just delete the
MENU resource from the system file. Can't remember the ID but I think it's
the second resource if listed by ID numbers. The do's and don'ts of this
haven't been discussed. I did this at home and have no problems so far.

Les.

hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu (HP48SX Archive Maintainer) (05/28/91)

Where do I find a TMPL for fmnu and the other new resources ?

Povl H. Pedersen             hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu
HP48sx archive maintainer

lsr@Apple.COM (Larry Rosenstein) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May28.100601.3816@waikato.ac.nz> chem0255@waikato.ac.nz writes:

>the second resource if listed by ID numbers. The do's and don'ts of this
>haven't been discussed. I did this at home and have no problems so far.

One potential problem is that developers are encouraged to add their own
item to the help menu (as does the Finder).  If you delete the help menu,
then you lose access to these additional items.

The help menu will be suppressed automatically if the "regular" menus
overlap its position.
--
Larry Rosenstein, Apple Computer, Inc.

lsr@apple.com
(or AppleLink: Rosenstein1)

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May28.123446.27174@wuarchive.wustl.edu> hp48sx@wuarchive.wustl.edu (HP48SX Archive Maintainer) writes:
>Where do I find a TMPL for fmnu and the other new resources ?

There should be a TMPL for the 'fval' resource in ResEdit 2.1. I
didn't seen any TMPLs for any of the other new Finder resources.

Keith Rollin  ---  Apple Computer, Inc.
INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"But where the senses fail us, reason must step in."  - Galileo