anderson@Apple.COM (Clark Anderson) (05/26/91)

From: trotter@ENUXHA.EAS.ASU.EDU (Russell T. Trotter):
>Has anyone been able to modify the system 7.0 menus to
>add command key equivalent.  I booted up under sys 6.0.5
>and opened up the sys7 finder under resedit, but I didn't
>see the 'MENU' resource.

The menus are in a resource named 'fmnu' (Finder Menu,
I would suppose). The most practical way to edit these
resources would be to make a template in ResEdit and do
it from there.
                                         --clark
Clark Anderson                 BellNet: 408-974-4593
Apple Computer, Inc.         AppleLink: C.ANDERSON
                              InterNet: anderson@apple.com

"I speak only for myself, much to my employer's relief..."

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (05/29/91)

In article <53345@apple.Apple.COM> anderson@Apple.COM (Clark Anderson) writes:
>The menus are in a resource named 'fmnu' (Finder Menu,
>I would suppose). The most practical way to edit these
>resources would be to make a template in ResEdit and do
>it from there.
>                                         --clark

Clark, you wouldn't happen to have such a ResEdit template handy, would
you?  Or would anyone out there with IM VI like to make one up and post
it to the grateful masses?
--
| Paul E. Jacoby, 3M Company, 3M Center, 235-3F-27                   |
| Maplewood, MN   55144-1000     .-----------------------------------|

anderson@Apple.COM (Clark Anderson) (05/30/91)

From: pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby)
>Clark, you wouldn't happen to have such a ResEdit template handy, would
>you?

No, I haven't had time to muck around with it. I did ask a
Finder engineer (who shall remain anonymous) if he had a
template. He just laughed and told me to figure out the structure
myself. So much for the brotherhood of programmers...
                                      --clark
Clark Anderson                 BellNet: 408-974-4593
Apple Computer, Inc.         AppleLink: C.ANDERSON
                              InterNet: anderson@apple.com

"I speak only for myself, much to my employer's relief..."

lsr@Apple.COM (Larry Rosenstein) (05/30/91)

It occurs to me that trying to figure out the fmnu structure is the wrong
approach to take.  Especially since someone reported that editing one fmnu
causes the Finder to install the menus in the wrong order.

If you look at the menus inside the Finder, you'll see that they are normal
menus.  So rather than changing the fmnu, add the command keys after the
Finder installs the normal menus in the menu bar.  It should be a simple
system extension to do this.  (I would do it except that I've got other
things in the works.)

--
Larry Rosenstein, Apple Computer, Inc.

lsr@apple.com
(or AppleLink: Rosenstein1)

kiran@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Kiran Wagle) (05/30/91)

anderson@Apple.COM (Clark Anderson) writes:

>In article <53345@apple.Apple.COM> anderson@Apple.COM (Clark Anderson) writes:
>>The menus are in a resource named 'fmnu' (Finder Menu,
>>I would suppose). The most practical way to edit these
>>resources would be to make a template in ResEdit and do
>>it from there.

>From: pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby)
>>Clark, you wouldn't happen to have such a ResEdit template handy, would
>>you?

>No, I haven't had time to muck around with it. I did ask a
>Finder engineer (who shall remain anonymous) if he had a
>template. He just laughed and told me to figure out the structure
>myself. So much for the brotherhood of programmers...
>                                      --clark

The template & Stuff about how to make & use the template
was posted last week by ALF (Alexander Falk) to
comp.sys.mac.digest...i don't know if it ended up in the
sumex archive...

Another person has made the template, as well as a (corrected?) 'fval'
and 'fani' templs. These are at sumex in
info-mac/tech/sys7-fndr-tmpls.hqx or some such file. So look there.

While you're there check out 'applicon' by Rick Holzgrafe (in /utils).
Nice little app.
--
	...kiran
		__________kiran@copper.ucs.indiana.edu________(812) 331-1710

From the corrections column in a July Fresno, CA _Bee_:
"An item in Thursday's [issue] about the Massachusetts budget crisis
made reference to new taxes that will help put Massachusetts 'back in
the African-American.' The item should have said 'back in the black.'"

lsr@Apple.COM (Larry Rosenstein) writes:

>It occurs to me that trying to figure out the fmnu structure is the wrong
>approach to take.  Especially since someone reported that editing one fmnu
>causes the Finder to install the menus in the wrong order.

I reported that the ballon help would be out of order if you moved the
menu items around (which i did because i use find... & find again... a
lot more than sharing... & (since i don't have a network) and the user
interface guidelines say i should put most used commands at the tops
of menus.) I also added a "Quit" to the finder...with no problems (the
ballon help being out of order is not a problem for ResEdit users, IMHO)

How to do all this was detailed in a note to comp.sys.mac.digest by
Alexander Falk, and the finder templates are at sumex, along with
'fani' & fval' templates.

>If you look at the menus inside the Finder, you'll see that they are normal
>menus.  So rather than changing the fmnu, add the command keys after the
>Finder installs the normal menus in the menu bar.  It should be a simple
>system extension to do this.

What do you mean by this?
I looked in my finder just now (using the "Quit" command--quite
useful) and found no resources of type 'menu'.  So the only way i have
of adding cmd-keys is by editing the 'fval.'

Do you mean that the finder uses the resources of type 'fval' to make
resources of type 'menu' on the fly, stores them in RAM, then gets
these new resources? If so, wouldn't it make more sense to store the
'menu' resources in the finder?
--
	...kiran
		__________kiran@copper.ucs.indiana.edu________(812) 331-1710