[comp.sys.mac.programmer] THINK C not-so-Update

xerox@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Jamie Osborne) (05/21/91)

	In line with the other people scrambling to update their development
software for system 7, I grabbed the THINK update stuff for C 4.0.5 from
the developer CD.
	My problem is that _many_ of the headers files, typedefs, and function
definitions have been changed.  I couldn't even get any of their example
programs to work for me (and this is after I aliased things like Menus.h
to MenuMgr.h.  Silly me- thinking it would be easy as that).
	As far as I can tell, Symantec has done a haphazard job clamoring to
get their software fixed for 7.0.  Furthermore, I have heard nothing from
the company regarding upgrade information.
	I know some people from Symantec read this, and I hate to be pissy,
but it's _realy_ alloying when function calls like NewMenu() don't even work
because of redifined parameters or types.
	When is Symantec going to get a full (COMPLETE!) upgrade out to it's
loyal customers?
--
James W. Osborne                        | email: xerox@mac.dartmouth.edu
Systems Programmer and starving student | Disclaimer:I didn't mean it! Really!

hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu (David Hairston) (05/21/91)

[xerox@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Jamie Osborne) writes:]
[] When is Symantec going to get a full (COMPLETE!) upgrade out to it's
[] loyal customers?

don't know Symantec's plans (altho i have my suspicions).  it does
appear that the 4.0.5 upgrade was an afterthought to placate
system 7.0 eager beavers (bad move, IMO).  however, i suspect that
Think C will have a more comprehensive product out soon.  after all,
it has been two years since 4.0 and about the same time since
system 7.0 was rumored to be under consideration.  one would guess
that now that system 7.0 is golden, Think can make wise choices
in a new product ...

  -dave-
hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu

tj@kona.cs.ucla.edu (Tom Johnson) (05/22/91)

In article <1991May21.052727.960@dartvax.dartmouth.edu> xerox@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Jamie Osborne) writes:
>	My problem is that _many_ of the headers files, typedefs, and function
>definitions have been changed.  I couldn't even get any of their example
>programs to work for me (and this is after I aliased things like Menus.h
>to MenuMgr.h.  Silly me- thinking it would be easy as that).

Oh, come on, it's not that difficult to get up and running.  The problems
with the changes in the names of the header files is pretty trivial if
you are using the MacHeaders option (particularly if you use one of the
alternate MacHeaders which includes _all_ of the header files--then
you can simply delete Menus.h an all the rest from the code).  The rest
of it is just a matter of checking your prototypes.  If you've been using
the MacProtos header files all along, even this change is relatively
painless.

>	As far as I can tell, Symantec has done a haphazard job clamoring to
>get their software fixed for 7.0.  Furthermore, I have heard nothing from
>the company regarding upgrade information.

I haven't heard anything either, but you need to remember that you got
the 4.0.5 update off of the _Developer CD_!  This was not general release
information--this was meant for developers only, as presumably only
developers had access to 7.0 at this point.  I would hardly expect
Symantec to mail out notices to every registered Think C user that
a new preliminary version was ready.  I do hope to see something
in the mail one of these days notifying me of a fully 7.0 compatible
version, though.

All in all I welcome the changes that Symantec made. The prototyping
is great (but of course I use it all the times anyways), even though
it might be annoying to have to do NewMenu(id, (StringPtr)"\pthestring").
Anything that makes a little easier to go back and forth from MPW to
TC is OK with me.

>	When is Symantec going to get a full (COMPLETE!) upgrade out to it's
>loyal customers?

This is a good question.

>--
>James W. Osborne                        | email: xerox@mac.dartmouth.edu
>Systems Programmer and starving student | Disclaimer:I didn't mean it! Really!
> "The best thing you ever done for me is to help me take my life less
>        seriously.  It's only life, after all."  -Indigo Girls

Boy, I would expect an Indigo Girls fan to take these things a little
more in stride! :->  "It's only life, after all."

Tom
--
Tom Johnson             "I put this moment.............................here
tj@cs.ucla.edu           I put this moment......................here

laf@mitre.org (Lee Fyock) (05/22/91)

In article <1991May21.182332.26836@cs.ucla.edu> tj@kona.cs.ucla.edu (Tom
Johnson) writes:
>In article <1991May21.052727.960@dartvax.dartmouth.edu>
xerox@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Jamie Osborne) writes:
>>       When is Symantec going to get a full (COMPLETE!) upgrade out to it's
>>loyal customers?
>
>This is a good question.

This is slightly better than rumor, but:

4.0.5 was just a quick, mostly-7.0-compatible release.  THINK C 5.0 should be
out around the end of the summer...

Lee Fyock
laf@mitre.org

tarr-michael@cs.yale.edu (Michael J. Tarr) (05/22/91)

Wait -- I upgraded to THINK C 4.0.5 and there was no change in the
header files -- for instance MenuMgr.h did not become Menus.h and there
was no Menus.h anywhere in the upgrade package.

What am I missing?
--
Michael J. Tarr,  Department of Psychology,  Yale University,  tarr@cs.yale.edu

xerox@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Jamie Osborne) (05/22/91)

tarr-michael@cs.yale.edu (Michael J. Tarr) writes:

>Wait -- I upgraded to THINK C 4.0.5 and there was no change in the
>header files -- for instance MenuMgr.h did not become Menus.h and there
>was no Menus.h anywhere in the upgrade package.

>What am I missing?
>--
>Michael J. Tarr,  Department of Psychology,  Yale University,  tarr@cs.yale.edu

First off, aplogies for the tone of my previous post.  It was pretty anal.

Secondly, you should have gotten all new header files with the update.
Updating the application and the Debugger is not enough.  Do you have headers
like balloons.h and virtual.h?  If not, then you don't have everything
you need, and are probably running with all the old headers.

--

sw@nan.co.uk (Sak Wathanasin) (05/22/91)

In article <1991May21.182332.26836@cs.ucla.edu>, tj@kona.cs.ucla.edu (Tom Johnson) writes:
> Oh, come on, it's not that difficult to get up and running.  The problems
> with the changes in the names of the header files is pretty trivial if
> you are using the MacHeaders option (particularly if you use one of the
> alternate MacHeaders which includes _all_ of the header files--then
> you can simply delete Menus.h an all the rest from the code).  The rest
> of it is just a matter of checking your prototypes.  If you've been using
> the MacProtos header files all along, even this change is relatively
> painless.

Yes, I agree in general; the few problems I had were to do with the different
syntax for accessing low mem globals (which, of course, one should never
reference :-). Being able to use MPW header files is something we should
all applaud even if it means a few changes to our code now.

There was a small problem with the header files on the 7.0B4 CD; I don't
know if it has been fixed or not. Just in case it hasn't, in types.h
you should change the lines

#ifndef NULL
#define NULL 0
#endif
#define nil 0

to read

#ifndef NULL
#define NULL 0L
#endif
#define nil 0L

and rebuild the "MacHeaders" file.

Sak Wathanasin
Network Analysis Limited

uucp:	...!ukc!nan!sw
other:	sw@network-analysis-ltd.co.uk
phone:  (+44) 203 419996
snail:  178 Wainbody Ave South, Coventry CV3 6BX, UK

sullivan@granite.ma30.bull.com (Marie J. Sullivan) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May22.160550.5212@dartvax.dartmouth.edu> xerox@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Jamie Osborne) writes:
>tarr-michael@cs.yale.edu (Michael J. Tarr) writes:
>

>>Wait -- I upgraded to THINK C 4.0.5 and there was no change in the
>>header files -- for instance MenuMgr.h did not become Menus.h and there
>>was no Menus.h anywhere in the upgrade package.
>
>>What am I missing?
>
>..., you should have gotten all new header files with the update.
>Updating the application and the Debugger is not enough.  Do you have headers
>like balloons.h and virtual.h?  If not, then you don't have everything
>you need, and are probably running with all the old headers.

Did you get the the same 4.0.5 update that I got (off of sumex)? The
only thing different from the 4.0.2 update in the version I got was a
patch to the applications (and it said as much in the readme). Maybe
you got a special developer version?
--
 == Marie J. Sullivan                Bull HN Information Systems Inc. ==
 == (508) 294-3327                   300 Concord Road   MA30/874A     ==

sharp@fsd.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Maurice Sharp) (05/23/91)

    I do have all of the new headers and libraries. Of course I got
them from the beta CDROM. One has to ask why Symantec bothered with
4.0.5 when 4.0.4 was *far* superior. One also has to ask why Symantec
has not released the new headers and libraries that *clearly* exist.
So go on, ask ! Well Symantec, we are waiting...

	maurice

Maurice Sharp MSc. Student (403) 220 7690
University of Calgary Computer Science Department
2500 University Drive N.W.	      sharp@cpsc.UCalgary.CA
Calgary, Alberta, T2N 1N4	      GEnie M.SHARP5

--
Maurice Sharp MSc. Student (403) 220 7690
University of Calgary Computer Science Department
2500 University Drive N.W.	      sharp@cpsc.UCalgary.CA
Calgary, Alberta, T2N 1N4	      GEnie M.SHARP5

laf@mitre.org (Lee Fyock) (05/23/91)

There was a 4.0.4 update on the 7.0b4 CD that included a new set
of header files, including a bunch to do system 7 stuff.  There
was also a note that said Symantec was switching over to using
the MPW header files directly.

The 4.0.5 updater that was posted to sumex, however, uses the
old header files, which is good if you don't want to have to
do a lot of typecasting and adapting your old programs, but bad
if you want to use balloon help or the new sound manager, etc.

I don't know why they switched or switched back, but I'll bet
that 5.0 will use MPW header files...

Lee Fyock
laf@mitre.org

jl3j+@andrew.cmu.edu (John Robert Leavitt) (05/23/91)

I certainly had new header files.   Try getting the update from ics.uci.edu
instead of sumex.

-John.

--John R. R. Leavitt----------------------------------------------------------
--Center for Machine Translation-+-John: Ah, but I don't do linguistics-------
--Carnegie Mellon University-----+-Eric: John, John, you know this is going---
--(412) 441-7724-----------------+-------to be one of those Star Wars things--
--jrrl@nl.cs.cmu.edu-------------+-------where you find out Noam Chomsky is---
--jl3j@andrew.cmu.edu------------+-------your father.-------------------------

jl3j+@andrew.cmu.edu (John Robert Leavitt) (05/23/91)

Ooops... never mind.. looks like ics.uci.edu doesn't have 'em either.

-John.

jbr0@cbnews.cb.att.com (joseph.a.brownlee) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May22.160550.5212@dartvax.dartmouth.edu> xerox@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Jamie Osborne) writes:
> Secondly, you should have gotten all new header files with the update.
> Updating the application and the Debugger is not enough.  Do you have headers
> like balloons.h and virtual.h?  If not, then you don't have everything
> you need, and are probably running with all the old headers.

The updater I got had:

	- patch for THINK C itself
	- new debugger
	- info on one new minor documentation bug in TCL
	- headers and bug fixes included in 4.0.2 (which I already had)

It did *not* include any 7.0 header files.  This was the THINK C updater that
came from c.b.m.  The ReadMe file said to patch TC, install the new debugger,
and correct your documentation if you had already updated to 4.0.2.  The other
patches were for the infamous scanf() bug, and the 4.0.2 Color.h and TCL fixes.
There was nothing about 7.0 header files.

--
   -      _   Joe Brownlee, Analysts International Corporation @ AT&T Bell Labs
  /_\  @ / `  471 E Broad St, Suite 1610, Columbus, Ohio 43215   (614) 860-7461

fmidgley@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Frank Murray Midgley) (05/26/91)

  I'll say it's annoying.  I updated to 4.0.5 and everything seemed fine.  All
my old projects loaded up fine, but when I tried to start ThinkC on it's own
(i.e. - start a new project) the outline of the open file window came up, and
then froze.  Quite annoying.  I actually had the same thing happen when I
turned off the opening screen of ResEdit 2.1.  Any ideas anyone?

| fmidgley@phoenix.princeton.edu  |    This space left blank due to a lack    |
|                                 |                                           |
| "Your fault -- core dumped."    |    of imagination.          So sue me.    |
\-----------------------------------------------------------------------------/

fmidgley@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Frank Murray Midgley) (05/27/91)

Anyone been able to get 4.0.5 to open up for a new project? All I get is an
empty window and a frozen computer.  It works fine for opening up old projects,
but it cannot be booted on its own.  Anyone else had this problem?

tagreen@lothario.ucs.indiana.edu (Todd Green) (05/27/91)

>empty window and a frozen computer.  It works fine for opening up old projects
>but it cannot be booted on its own.  Anyone else had this problem?

I've had no problem getting it to work (IIcx, 8meg, no VM, etc etc). I
got the updater from sumex I think and went straight from 4.0 to
4.0.5.  My question is: When is Symantec going to release the libs so
that we can actually take advantage of system7.  I just finished
browsing IM VI.  Talk about an improvement!!!! Kudos to Apple, for
both Sys7 and IM VI.  Anyone with definite knowledge on how to use the
new routines with 4.0.5?

Todd
--
Internet: tagreen@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu
NeXTMail: tagreen@lothario.ucs.indiana.edu

emmayche@dhw68k.cts.com (Mark Hartman) (05/31/91)

Another of those frequently-asked questions:

Has anyone heard (besides the obvious System-7-friendly fixes) what will
or is rumored to be in THINK C 5.0?

Is anyone from Symantec willing to give us any information at all?  (I'm
trying to keep several clients from switching to MPW - help me save some
of your sites!)
--
Mark Hartman, N6BMO           "What are you just standing there for?  Where
Applelink: N1083 or BINARY.TREE      do you think you are, DIS-ney World??"