[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MPW C++ dump/load, once again

bowman@reed.UUCP (Eric Bowman) (05/31/91)

Every few months or so I waste a day trying to get the !@#$! dump and load
C++ options to work, but I can't seem to make any progress.  Was this every
resolved?

OK:  I'm running

	MPW Shell v. 3.2b8 (system 6.0.5, Mac II)
	MPW CFront v. 3.1
	MPW C v. 3.2b1
	Link v. 3.1

All destructors are declared virtual; most classes don't define any destructor,
those that do are derived from PtrObject.

(I'm not using MacApp at all.)

Everything compiles fine; Link returns the following error:

### While reading file ":SymObj:TApplication.cp.o"
### Link: Error: Bad object file: (Error 89) inconsistent declaration of a file
	object
### Link: Errors prevented normal completion.

Anyone know what this means?

aTdHvAaNnKcSe,
BoBo                                                 Ready, Willing, & Abelian
bowman@reed.{edu,bitnet,uucp}
"I think that there is a moral to this story, namely that it is more important
to have beauty in one's equations than to have them fit experiment." - Dirac

ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett) (05/31/91)

bowman@reed.UUCP (Eric Bowman) writes:

>Every few months or so I waste a day trying to get the !@#$! dump and load
>C++ options to work, but I can't seem to make any progress.  Was this every
>resolved?

>OK:  I'm running

>	MPW Shell v. 3.2b8 (system 6.0.5, Mac II)
                     ^^^^^
>	MPW CFront v. 3.1
>	MPW C v. 3.2b1
>	Link v. 3.1
                ^^^
If you're running the 3.2 Shell,
you need to be running Link 3.2, which came on the Beta 4 SEED CD. If you don't
have access to it bug Apple to get a final release of MPW 3.2 out.
--
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Lanett						ml27192@uxa.cs.uiuc.edu

d88-jwa@byse.nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) (05/31/91)

.edu> ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett) writes:

   >	MPW Shell v. 3.2b8 (system 6.0.5, Mac II)
			^^^^^
   have access to it bug Apple to get a final release of MPW 3.2 out.

I was under the impression that MPW 3.2 was final ? There's a very
"final-looking" release on the A/UX development tools beta CD some
developers received at the WWDC. (Those tools are great, except for
a few bugs, one of them serious but probably fixable now that I've
found it - that's what beta software's for, after all :-)

--
						Jon W{tte
						h+@nada.kth.se

bowman@reed.UUCP (Eric Bowman) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May31.051253.21316@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett) writes:
>If you're running the 3.2 Shell,
>you need to be running Link 3.2, which came on the Beta 4 SEED CD. If you don't
>have access to it bug Apple to get a final release of MPW 3.2 out.

Does this mean I could just go back to the 3.1 shell and everything would
be groovy?

thanks,

ksand@apple.com (Kent Sandvik) (06/01/91)

In article <16448@reed.UUCP>, bowman@reed.UUCP (Eric Bowman) writes:

> Every few months or so I waste a day trying to get the !@#$! dump and load
> C++ options to work, but I can't seem to make any progress.  Was this every
> resolved?
>
> OK:  I'm running
>
> 	MPW Shell v. 3.2b8 (system 6.0.5, Mac II)
> 	MPW CFront v. 3.1
> 	MPW C v. 3.2b1
> 	Link v. 3.1
>
> All destructors are declared virtual; most classes don't define any destructor,
> those that do are derived from PtrObject.

> Everything compiles fine; Link returns the following error:
>
> ### While reading file ":SymObj:TApplication.cp.o"
> ### Link: Error: Bad object file: (Error 89) inconsistent declaration of a file
> 	object
> ### Link: Errors prevented normal completion.

Are you using MPW 3.2 libraries, or MPW 3.1 ones? It usually makes sense not to
mix and match different releases, if there is not a need (like one needs the MPW 3.2 C
compiler for the load/dump feature).

Another typical load/dump problem is that the base class is not defined as public in
the inherited classes, which makes it hard to find information for load/dump, but
I don't know if this is your problem.

Kent Sandvik

ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett) (06/01/91)

d88-jwa@byse.nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) writes:
>I was under the impression that MPW 3.2 was final ? There's a very
>"final-looking" release on the A/UX development tools beta CD some
>developers received at the WWDC. (Those tools are great, except for

Wonderfull. We have a site license for MPW here, but haven't seen 3.2. Of
course we wouldn't have seen the 3.2 beta if it weren't on the SEED CD.

--
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

In article <1991Jun1.043822.15731@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett) writes:

> d88-jwa@byse.nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) writes:
> >I was under the impression that MPW 3.2 was final ? There's a very
> >"final-looking" release on the A/UX development tools beta CD some
> >developers received at the WWDC. (Those tools are great, except for

> Wonderfull. We have a site license for MPW here, but haven't seen 3.2. Of
> course we wouldn't have seen the 3.2 beta if it weren't on the SEED CD.

FYI, MPW 3.2 will be first released on the next ETO#4 CD, to be released really real
soon now. As for any kind of possible A/UX development tools beta CD, as the name
implies it's beta.

Kent Sandvik

jess@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Jess M Holle) (06/02/91)

In article <1991Jun1.043822.15731@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett) writes:
>Wonderfull. We have a site license for MPW here, but haven't seen 3.2. Of
>course we wouldn't have seen the 3.2 beta if it weren't on the SEED CD.

Does anyone know when MPW 3.2 will be coming out?

I really want to upgrade to Sys 7.0, but I also want to do programming. I am
an APDA member, but not a registered develop or the like, but just a
hobbyist. When can I get a hold of a Sys 7.0 compatible version. Will
registered owners of MPW 3.1 get sent a notice?

Jess Holle