[comp.sys.mac.programmer] LDEF

lance@hermix.UUCP (Lance Ellinghouse) (05/30/91)

Does anyone know how to turn off the "scrunching" that the new
System 7.0 LDEF '0'??

Or does anyone have a LDEF that works like the old System 6.0.x LDEF
that I can use/look at? (I have never written a LDEF).

Thanks,
Lance Ellinghouse
hermix!lance@anes.ucla.edu

kinsey@athena.cs.uga.edu (Kevin Kinsey) (06/01/91)

In article <237@hermix.UUCP> lance@hermix.UUCP (Lance Ellinghouse) writes:
>Does anyone know how to turn off the "scrunching" that the new
>System 7.0 LDEF '0'??

I'm guessing at this, but since most folks use the default Monaco for
LDEF 0, the font is most likely TrueType under 7.0. Because TT fonts are
far more accurate than a bitmap, the discrepancy could be significant.
Anyone know for sure?

BTW, does anyone know if it's possible to alias an INIT under 7.0?

kevin

---
kevin kinsey
ucns
university of georgia
athens, ga
kinsey@athena.cs.uga.edu

zben@ni.umd.edu (Ben Cranston) (06/02/91)

In article <1991May31.172109.11246@athena.cs.uga.edu>
kinsey@athena.cs.uga.edu (Kevin Kinsey) writes:

> BTW, does anyone know if it's possible to alias an INIT under 7.0?

No, it does not seem to be possible.  We asked this question of the Flying
Apple Demo Team when they were out here last week, their definitive answer,
(and they really spoke it in all caps, too!) was:

  ALIASES ARE NOT SUPPORTED FOR EXTENSIONS

Would have been nice, especially for being able to put things on fileservers
to share them...

Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Lawson English) (06/03/91)

Kevin Kinsey writes in a message to All

KK>  BTW, does anyone know if it's possible to alias an INIT under
KK> 7.0?

My guess is no: isn't an alias primarily a Finder thing, and it probably wouldn't
be available at startup?

Lawson

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!300!15.88!Lawson.English
Internet: Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org

ari@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ari Halberstadt) (06/03/91)

In article <1991Jun1.195536.28209@ni.umd.edu> zben@ni.umd.edu (Ben Cranston) writes:
>In article <1991May31.172109.11246@athena.cs.uga.edu>
>kinsey@athena.cs.uga.edu (Kevin Kinsey) writes:
>
>> BTW, does anyone know if it's possible to alias an INIT under 7.0?
>
>No, it does not seem to be possible.  We asked this question of the Flying
>Apple Demo Team when they were out here last week, their definitive answer,
>(and they really spoke it in all caps, too!) was:
>
>  ALIASES ARE NOT SUPPORTED FOR EXTENSIONS
>
>Would have been nice, especially for being able to put things on fileservers
>to share them...

For some silly reason the OS doesn't support it, but there is a
solution, and there has been a solution for quite some time. There's
this awesome little system extension which will load all aliased
INITs, even if they're ona file server.  It's called INIT Loader, and
it comes on the 7.0 CD (even on the Beta CDs). The INIT works: I've
never had any problems with it, and it should be a real life saver for
network administrators.