[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MacApp under Sys 7

ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett) (06/02/91)

I want to point out a few problems people will have trying to run
MPW 3.2, and MacApp in particular, under System 7.

First, as we've already had discussed, you need the 3.2 Shell,
Linker, Lib tool, and DumpObj tool. It also comes with a new Choose
tool, but I don't think this is vital. SADE 1.1 and 1.2 won't work (a
relative statement, I realize), you need 1.3, currently only available as an
alpha version. And, no, it hasn't improved.

For MacApp there are other problems. Apple, in its infinite wisdom, went
around renaming some fields in structures in the 3.2 Includes*, so the MacApp
source won't compile. You must use the 3.1 Includes. It doesn't appear
to link with the 3.2 libraries, either, so I'm using the 3.1 stuff there
also. This is a problem because the MABuildTool will set up the link
with the 3.2 libraries if it detects the 3.2 shell (do you get the feeling
that someone at Apple wasn't testing things here?).

The only solution that works for me is to modify the MABuildTool source to
stop it from deleting the 3.1 library definitions. See line 1427 of
MABuildTool.p.  There's an if statement here that needs to be commented out
and replaced with "if false". You'll then have to recompile the MABuildTool,
a real trick if you have already converted to MPW 3.2 (!@#$) (How do I know,
you ask? Heh Heh). If you don't have Pascal and Asm, good luck. Maybe I could
figure out which bytes to change in the existing tool... Note: A possible
alternative to changing the MABuildTool would be changing the variable
definitions in Basic Definitions. I think I tried this and had no luck.

*I could see adding fields, maybe even renaming inappropriately named ones.
But changing NMRec.nmIcon to NMRec.nmSIcon? Give me a break.
--
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Lanett						ml27192@uxa.cs.uiuc.edu

ksand@apple.com (Kent Sandvik) (06/02/91)

In article <1991Jun1.225934.7267@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett) writes:

> I want to point out a few problems people will have trying to run
> MPW 3.2, and MacApp in particular, under System 7.

> First, as we've already had discussed, you need the 3.2 Shell,
> Linker, Lib tool, and DumpObj tool. It also comes with a new Choose
> tool, but I don't think this is vital. SADE 1.1 and 1.2 won't work (a
> relative statement, I realize), you need 1.3, currently only available as an
> alpha version. And, no, it hasn't improved.

MPW 3.2 is needed for System 7. I personally think that SADE 1.3 is better than 1.1,
mostly because it's far easier now to set the target (a menu command) and start
debugging.

> For MacApp there are other problems. Apple, in its infinite wisdom, went
> around renaming some fields in structures in the 3.2 Includes*, so the MacApp
> source won't compile. You must use the 3.1 Includes. It doesn't appear
> to link with the 3.2 libraries, either, so I'm using the 3.1 stuff there
> also. This is a problem because the MABuildTool will set up the link
> with the 3.2 libraries if it detects the 3.2 shell (do you get the feeling
> that someone at Apple wasn't testing things here?).

> The only solution that works for me is to modify the MABuildTool source to
> stop it from deleting the 3.1 library definitions. See line 1427 of
> MABuildTool.p.  There's an if statement here that needs to be commented out
> and replaced with "if false". You'll then have to recompile the MABuildTool,
> a real trick if you have already converted to MPW 3.2 (!@#$) (How do I know,
> you ask? Heh Heh). If you don't have Pascal and Asm, good luck. Maybe I could
> figure out which bytes to change in the existing tool... Note: A possible
> alternative to changing the MABuildTool would be changing the variable
> definitions in Basic Definitions. I think I tried this and had no luck.
>
> *I could see adding fields, maybe even renaming inappropriately named ones.
> But changing NMRec.nmIcon to NMRec.nmSIcon? Give me a break.

The Startup file under the {MacApp} folder contains this line:

# for compatibility with MPW 3.1 ( the currently released product )
# for MPW 3.2 or later remove or comment out the following line
#SET MABuildDefaults "{MABuildDefaults} -d qMPW31=TRUE"

As you see, I have commented out this line, and used MacApp 2.0.1 with various
MPW 3.2 beta releases for the last 7 months with no problems. We have tried
to inform people about this, but it seems like we have to do more work in order
to get the message through. I would also suggest to print out the Startup File
and examine various other switches available in this file, as well as including
-mf to most of the tools as default switches (Cplus, Link, Lib).

Kent Sandvik

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (06/03/91)

In article <1991Jun1.225934.7267@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett) writes:
>I want to point out a few problems people will have trying to run
>MPW 3.2, and MacApp in particular, under System 7.

>For MacApp there are other problems. Apple, in its infinite wisdom, went
>around renaming some fields in structures in the 3.2 Includes*, so the MacApp

Please don't blow this out of proportion. _A_ field was changed in
_a_ structure. This wasn't a case of randomly changing fields names
all over the header files.

>source won't compile. You must use the 3.1 Includes. It doesn't appear
>to link with the 3.2 libraries, either, so I'm using the 3.1 stuff there
>also. This is a problem because the MABuildTool will set up the link
>with the 3.2 libraries if it detects the 3.2 shell (do you get the feeling
>that someone at Apple wasn't testing things here?).

Apple _was_ testing. First of all, Technote #280, released over 8
months ago, documents the changes necessary to compile MacApp 2.0.1
under MPW 3.2. Secondly, there is a line in the MacApp Startup file
that you can comment out that will allow MacApp to be compiled under
MPW 3.2:

# for compatibility with MPW 3.1 ( the currently released product )
# for MPW 3.2 or later remove or comment out the following line
SET MABuildDefaults "{MABuildDefaults} -d qMPW31=TRUE"

Keith Rollin  ---  Apple Computer, Inc.
INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"But where the senses fail us, reason must step in."  - Galileo

ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett) (06/03/91)

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) writes:
>Secondly, there is a line in the MacApp Startup file
>that you can comment out that will allow MacApp to be compiled under
>MPW 3.2:

># for compatibility with MPW 3.1 ( the currently released product )
># for MPW 3.2 or later remove or comment out the following line
>SET MABuildDefaults "{MABuildDefaults} -d qMPW31=TRUE"

In MacApp 2.0.1, not 2.0. Neither I personally nor NCSA have seen an update
CD, however, so we're both at 2.0.

BTW, Now that I know that the NMRec field was changed on purpose it makes sense
(I do that also), but it still breaks MacApp 2.0.0.

lasleyse@wam.umd.edu (Scott E. Lasley) (06/04/91)

In article <1991Jun3.130959.14365@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett) writes:

>In MacApp 2.0.1, not 2.0. Neither I personally nor NCSA have seen an update
>CD, however, so we're both at 2.0.

While we are on the subject, does anybody know when MacApp 2.0.1 (2.0.2 ?)
will ship?  The people I spoke to at APDA when I last called said June.  Is
the update automatically shipped to 2.0.0 owners?
Thanks for the help.

ksand@apple.com (Kent Sandvik) (06/04/91)

In article <1991Jun3.174215.20871@wam.umd.edu>, lasleyse@wam.umd.edu (Scott E. Lasley) writes:

> While we are on the subject, does anybody know when MacApp 2.0.1 (2.0.2 ?)
> will ship?  The people I spoke to at APDA when I last called said June.  Is
> the update automatically shipped to 2.0.0 owners?
> Thanks for the help.

MacApp 2.0.1 has always been available from the ETO CDs, but I have to ask
the product manager if there are any problems to get 2.0.1 as a standalone
product from APDA.

Kent Sandvik