[comp.sys.mac.programmer] THINK Pascal 3.0.2 SFPutFile alias bug?

phil@and.cs.liv.ac.uk (Phil Jimmieson) (06/04/91)

I know that THINK Pascal 3.0.2 is only supposed to be *mostly* compatible with
system 7 - but I just found a very strange problem with it.  I was trying to
save a source file into a sub-folder. When the new SFPutFile dialog came up I
had to scroll to get to the sub-folder I wanted, but before I got there it
crashed everytime, with the Finder reporting a type 10 error. I happened to
notice that the dialog had just drawn a SICN for an application  before it fell
over - and had not drawn the application's name.  The problem seems to occur
when the SFPutFile dialog shows a file that has been aliased (inthis case I had
an alias to ResEdit 2.1 in the same folder as my project). Moving the alias out
of the way stopped the crash, until I used the SFPutFile dialog to enter
another folder where there was an alias - and then it crashed again. This error
occurs repeatedly with THINK Pascal the application - not my running project,
and it doesn't seem to matter what the alias is - just that there's one there
to be displayed by SFPutFile.

Phil Jimmieson,           ***************************************************
Computer Science Dept.,   * JANET    : phil@uk.ac.liv.cs.and                *
Liverpool University,     * INTERNET : phil@and.cs.liv.ac.uk                *
PO Box 147                ***************************************************
Liverpool  L69  3BX       "The contortionist has gone to put his feet up."
(UK) 051-794-3689         "Yes, it's a neat trick if you can do it..."

phil@and.cs.liv.ac.uk (Phil Jimmieson) (06/04/91)

In article <1991Jun3.180238.80@and.cs.liv.ac.uk>, phil@and.cs.liv.ac.uk (Phil Jimmieson) writes:
to paraphrase I reported a problem with SFPutFile in THINK Pascal 3.02 crashing
while trying to display an aliased Application (in this case an alias to
ResEdit). Well, it appears that Superpaint 2.0 also crashes when SFPutFile
tries to display the alias - so maybe there's something wrong with the copy of
System 7.0 that I got from my local AppleCentre (that and the fact that it
takes at least 10 reboots to start it first thing in the morning on my SE/30
with 5 Megs of RAM... :-( )

I take it that this problem doesn't happen to anyone else...

osborn@ux1.lbl.gov (James R Osborn) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun3.180238.80@and.cs.liv.ac.uk> phil@and.cs.liv.ac.uk (Phil Jimmieson) writes:
>I know that THINK Pascal 3.0.2 is only supposed to be *mostly* compatible with
>system 7 - but I just found a very strange problem with it.  I was trying to
>save a source file into a sub-folder. When the new SFPutFile dialog came up I
>had to scroll to get to the sub-folder I wanted, but before I got there it
>crashed everytime, with the Finder reporting a type 10 error. I happened to
>notice that the dialog had just drawn a SICN for an application  before it fell
>over - and had not drawn the application's name.  The problem seems to occur
>when the SFPutFile dialog shows a file that has been aliased (inthis case I had
>an alias to ResEdit 2.1 in the same folder as my project). Moving the alias out
>of the way stopped the crash, until I used the SFPutFile dialog to enter
>another folder where there was an alias - and then it crashed again. This error
>occurs repeatedly with THINK Pascal the application - not my running project,
>and it doesn't seem to matter what the alias is - just that there's one there
>to be displayed by SFPutFile.
>
>Phil Jimmieson,           ***************************************************
>Computer Science Dept.,   * JANET    : phil@uk.ac.liv.cs.and                *
>Liverpool University,     * INTERNET : phil@and.cs.liv.ac.uk                *
>PO Box 147                ***************************************************
>Liverpool  L69  3BX       "The contortionist has gone to put his feet up."
>(UK) 051-794-3689         "Yes, it's a neat trick if you can do it..."

Maybe THINK Pascal uses some sort of file filter with SFPutFile which
doesn't quite like aliases.  I don't know the particulars of how an
alias in distinguished from real files.  Maybe some bits get set which
causes this hypothetical file filter to blow chunks.

Any 7.0 file system experts care to comment?

-- James

| James R. Osborn              | It just goes to show you it's always |
| Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory | something.  Either it's baffling     |
| osborn@ux1.lbl.gov           | tech notes or your mac is smoking.   |
| (415) 548-8464               | It's always something...             |