[comp.sys.mac.programmer] System 7 and the Comm toolbox

woody@nntp-server.caltech.edu (William Edward Woody) (06/04/91)

In article <1991Jun2.183602.22433@ccu.umanitoba.ca> guelzow@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Andreas J. Guelzow) writes:
>In article <14324@ur-cc.UUCP> kellogg@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu (Lars Kellogg-Stedman) writes:
>>Perhaps its simply my deranged imagination, which tends to be a bit more
>>vocal at this time on a weekend morning, but wasn't the communications
>>toolbox supposed to be a part of System 7?  Or was it actually
>>intended as a completely separate entity?
>
>From the System 7 manual (Networking Reference p98): The Macintosh
>Communications Toolbox is a part of Macintosh System 7. ... Do not
>install the Communicatopns Toolbox on your Computer. The ... is now an
>integrated part of system software... Wherever programs that use the
>Communications Toolbox referred to the "Communications Folder" in the
>program itself or its documentation, substitute the "Extensions folder".

But but but...

It ain't documented in my copy of Inside Macintosh v.6 that I just picked
up today from B. Daltons's Software Etc...

Does that mean that I have to order the documentation from APDA or am I
just not looking carefully enough in IM?

					-- Bill

--
	William Edward Woody		   | Disclamer:
USNAIL	P.O.Box 50986; Pasadena, CA 91115  |

jackb@MDI.COM (Jack Brindle) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun4.035059.9684@nntp-server.caltech.edu> woody@nntp-server.caltech.edu (William Edward Woody) writes:
>But but but...
>
>It ain't documented in my copy of Inside Macintosh v.6 that I just picked
>up today from B. Daltons's Software Etc...
>
>Does that mean that I have to order the documentation from APDA or am I
>just not looking carefully enough in IM?

Mac CommToolbox manual. It's got a LOT of info that is applicable to
both System 7 AND the Comm Toolbox under System 6. I believe the price
is 22.95. I'm still waiting for my copies of this book AND IM vol VI. I
was "smart" and ordered them directly from AW...

Jack B.
ham radio: wa4fib/7

kazim@Apple.COM (Alex Kazim) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun4.035059.9684@nntp-server.caltech.edu> woody@nntp-server.caltech.edu (William Edward Woody) writes:

>It ain't documented in my copy of Inside Macintosh v.6 that I just picked
>up today from B. Daltons's Software Etc...

Yeah, it never made it into Inside Mac 6 for temporal reasons.  The Sys6
manual is available thru Addison Wesley and your neighborhood book store.
The changes made for System 7 were supposed to be put into a tech note,
so talk to DTS if you're interested.

Alex Kazim, Apple Computer
No longer CommToolbox loudmouth

glenn@gla-aux.uucp (Glenn Austin) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun4.035059.9684@nntp-server.caltech.edu>, woody@nntp-server.caltech.edu (William Edward Woody) writes:
> [Info about Comm Toolbox in System 7 deleted]
>
> But but but...
>
> It ain't documented in my copy of Inside Macintosh v.6 that I just picked
> up today from B. Daltons's Software Etc...
>
> Does that mean that I have to order the documentation from APDA or am I
> just not looking carefully enough in IM?

Yes.  Since CTB came out BEFORE System 7, it ended up with its own manual.
However, it is also on the Golden System 7 CD in DiskPaper format.

| Glenn L. Austin                | "Turn too soon, run out of room.           |
| Macintosh Wizard and           |    Turn too late, much better fate."       |
| Auto Racing Driver             |   -- Jim Russell Racing School Instructors |
| Don't take me too seriously -- I never do!  :-)                             |
| Usenet:  glenn@gla-aux.uucp or glenn%gla-aux.uucp@skinner.cs.uoregon.edu    |