[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Pretty C

marmar@mtk.UUCP (Mark Martino) (08/09/89)

Rather than develop a set of standards and adhere to them, the software
group I just joined decided to let everyone write C their own way.
Then, they use a filtering program called "sprint" in MS-DOS to line
everything up and draw lots of vertical lines so that one may actually
decipher the intentions of the last programmer to work on the code.

Since the code actually resides on a VAX and we move it down to our
various personal computers to work on it, I thought it would be okay if
I used my Mac to work on the code.  Silly me.  The code is so hard to
read that I am now in need of a utility similar to "sprint" for the Mac.
Is there such a thing?  Is there anything in MPW that will help this
situation?  Is it possible and worth the trouble to write a script in MPW
to do this beautification?

oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster) (08/11/89)

In article <889@mtk.UUCP> marmar@mtk.UUCP (Mark Martino) writes:
>read that I am now in need of a utility similar to "sprint" for the Mac.

Some years ago, a C pretty printer was posted to the net. It still works.
I believe the person responsible for it is Peter Olson,
Compuserve: [76174, 1670]

SignalVideo, Inc.
P.O.B. 1569
Cambridge, MA 02238

I hope that is right, and I apologize in advance if I've gotten it wrong.
See if your local users group doesn't have it. The same guy also produced
a program that takes C in and produces C prototype declarations out the
other side.

--- David Phillip Oster            --"Unix Version 7 was an improvement not
Arpa: oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu --only over its predeccessors, but also its
Uucp: {uwvax,decvax}!ucbvax!oster%dewey.soe.berkeley.edu --successors."

kap1@tank.uchicago.edu (Dietrich Kappe) (08/14/89)

You might try downloading C-Tools from sumex-aim.stanford.edu. Its in
/pub/info-mac/lang , I believe.  Among other things it includes a C beautifying
utility similar to cb in unix.

Hope that helps,
--
---------------------------------------
	Dietrich Kappe

cs75sbm@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Studaroo ) (06/04/91)

	Is there a new version of Pretty C for use with System 7?

	My version of Pretty C will not print from Think C and if I
run the program itself it quits unexpectedly.

	I'm running 7.0 on a Mac IIsi.  The version of Think C I'm
using is 4.05.  I'm printing on a HP Deskwriter.

	Please mail me if you have any information.

		Thanks,

			John
			jstudaru@ucsd.edu

CAH0@bunny.gte.com (Chuck Hoffman) (06/05/91)

In article <20096@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cs75sbm@sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Studaroo )
writes:
>         My version of Pretty C will not print from Think C and if I
> run the program itself it quits unexpectedly.
>
>         I'm running 7.0 on a Mac IIsi.  The version of Think C I'm
> using is 4.05.  I'm printing on a HP Deskwriter.

I have a Mac-II with 8-Meg and a Mac-IIcx with 4-Meg.  Think C 4.0, System
6.0.7, HP DeskWriter.  Source listing of about 2,000 lines.  The Pretty C
program, by Jeremy Roussak, quits unexpectedly on the Mac-IIcx, with
4-Meg.  I will be installing an additional 4-Meg tonight, when I get home.
 If all is well then, I will assume it was a memory problem related to the
length of the source code, and I'll send in the shareware fee.  I doubt
that it is related to the compiler, and unless Jeremy is using low level
print manager calls, it probably is not related to the printer.

Chuck Hoffman, GTE Laboratories, Inc.    |  I'm not sure why we're here,
cah0@bunny.gte.com                       |  but I am sure that while we're
Telephone (U.S.A.) 617-466-2131          |  here, we're supposed to help
GTE VoiceNet: 679-2131                   |  each other.
GTE Telemail: C.HOFFMAN                  |