[comp.sys.mac.programmer] About the Finder

d88-jwa@hemul.nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) (06/01/91)

   p.s.  By the way, am I the only person on the net that noticed the mountains
   in the "option"-about box in system 7?  I hate to ruin suprises like that,
   but I was touched...

Hmm... that dialog box was still and nice in the betas, but now on
golden, it just flashes up and disappears in a split second. What's up ?

--
						Jon W{tte
						h+@nada.kth.se

joel@neon.Stanford.EDU (Joel R Tornatore) (06/02/91)

In article <D88-JWA.91Jun1111138@hemul.nada.kth.se> d88-jwa@hemul.nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) writes:

>   p.s.  By the way, am I the only person on the net that noticed the mountains
>   in the "option"-about box in system 7?  I hate to ruin suprises like that,
>   but I was touched...
>
>Hmm... that dialog box was still and nice in the betas, but now on
>golden, it just flashes up and disappears in a split second. What's up ?
>
>--
>						Jon W{tte
>						h+@nada.kth.se
>						- Speed !

I believe this is the original finder's about box.

joel

d88-jwa@byse.nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) (06/03/91)

> joel@neon.Stanford.EDU (Joel R Tornatore) writes:

   >Hmm... that dialog box was still and nice in the betas, but now on
   >golden, it just flashes up and disappears in a split second. What's up ?

   I believe this is the original finder's about box.

Yes yes, that's all very fine, but in the beta releases of the sys 7
finder, the dialog box stayed up - in the golden release, it flashes
onto the screen and then disappears again in 1/10th of a second...

Why is this ?

--
						Jon W{tte
						h+@nada.kth.se

stui@avalon.caladan.wa.com (Stuart Burden) (06/03/91)

In article <D88-JWA.91Jun2190746@byse.nada.kth.se>, d88-jwa@byse.nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) writes:
  | > joel@neon.Stanford.EDU (Joel R Tornatore) writes:
  |    >Hmm... that dialog box was still and nice in the betas, but now on
  |    >golden, it just flashes up and disappears in a split second. What's up ?
  |    I believe this is the original finder's about box.
  |
  | Yes yes, that's all very fine, but in the beta releases of the sys 7
  | finder, the dialog box stayed up - in the golden release, it flashes
  | onto the screen and then disappears again in 1/10th of a second...
  |
  | Why is this ?

Looks like it's one of those.. "you're milage may vary" type issues..
I'm running release, and the Mountains dialog will stay up right through
the credits, until I click.

Stu.

--
stui@avalon.uucp
stui@avalon.caladan.wa.com

jkeegan@hawk.ulowell.edu (Jeff Keegan) (06/03/91)

In article <D88-JWA.91Jun2190746@byse.nada.kth.se> d88-jwa@byse.nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) writes:
>> joel@neon.Stanford.EDU (Joel R Tornatore) writes:
>
>   >Hmm... that dialog box was still and nice in the betas, but now on
>   >golden, it just flashes up and disappears in a split second. What's up ?
>
>   I believe this is the original finder's about box.
>
>Yes yes, that's all very fine, but in the beta releases of the sys 7
>finder, the dialog box stayed up - in the golden release, it flashes
>onto the screen and then disappears again in 1/10th of a second...
>
>Why is this ?
>
>--
>						Jon W{tte
>						h+@nada.kth.se
>						- Speed !

I simply do NOT get the error you're describing.. I tested it just now..
Works fine, and stays up until I click.. Try it with extensions off, perhaps?

..Jeff Keegan

| Jeff Keegan                | I clutch the wire fence until my fingers bleed |
| jkeegan@hawk.ulowell.edu   | A wound that will not heal                     |
|----------------------------| A heart that cannot feel                       |
| This space intentionally   | Hoping that the horror will receed             |
| left blank                 | Hoping that tomorrow we'll all be freed  -RUSH |

smoke@well.sf.ca.us (Nicholas Jackiw) (06/03/91)

On a related note, try hitting the Option-key ten or twelve
times while displaying the Monitors cdev's about box.  Don't
know how I stumble across these things...

--
                              --- * ---
Nick Jackiw                  Smoke@well.sf.ca.us   | Jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu

stevep@wrq.com (Steve Poole) (06/04/91)

In article <1CE00001.g3u42b@avalon.caladan.wa.com> stui@avalon.caladan.wa.com (Stuart Burden) writes:
>In article <D88-JWA.91Jun2190746@byse.nada.kth.se>, d88-jwa@byse.nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) writes:
>  | Yes yes, that's all very fine, but in the beta releases of the sys 7
>  | finder, the dialog box stayed up - in the golden release, it flashes
>  | onto the screen and then disappears again in 1/10th of a second...
>  | Why is this ?
>
>Looks like it's one of those.. "you're milage may vary" type issues..
>I'm running release, and the Mountains dialog will stay up right through
>the credits, until I click.

Hmm.  And my mountains stay put until I click, but I see no credits!
Does a list scroll by on yours?  I'm also running release.

-- INTEL 80x86: Just say NOP -- Internet: stevep@wrq.com -- AOL: Spoole --

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (06/04/91)

In article <25199@well.sf.ca.us> smoke@well.sf.ca.us (Nicholas Jackiw) writes:

>On a related note, try hitting the Option-key ten or twelve
>times while displaying the Monitors cdev's about box.  Don't
>know how I stumble across these things...

I first saw notice of this goodie a couple of weeks ago in either
this newsgroup or in c.s.m.system. It was mentioned as a 7.0 goodie,
but the other night, when I was playing on a friend's Mac running
6.0.7, I discovered that the Monitors control panel in that system
does this, too!

Keith Rollin  ---  Apple Computer, Inc.
INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"But where the senses fail us, reason must step in."  - Galileo

vrm@babcock.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Vasile R. Montan) (06/04/91)

From article <25199@well.sf.ca.us>, by smoke@well.sf.ca.us (Nicholas Jackiw):
> On a related note, try hitting the Option-key ten or twelve
> times while displaying the Monitors cdev's about box.  Don't
> know how I stumble across these things...

So what does this do?  Whenever I'm holding down the key, a little
smiling Mac appears in the picture of the screen (this smiling Mac
can be dragged around.)  No matter how many times I hit the option
key, nothing particularly unusual seems to happen otherwise.

>                               --- * ---
> Nick Jackiw                  Smoke@well.sf.ca.us   | Jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu
> Key Curriculum Press, Inc.   Applelink:KEY.EDUSOFT | (415) 548-2304
>                               --- * ---

--Kurisuto
un020070@vaxa.wvnet.edu

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (06/04/91)

In article <1823@babcock.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu>, vrm@babcock.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Vasile R. Montan) writes...
>From article <25199@well.sf.ca.us>, by smoke@well.sf.ca.us (Nicholas Jackiw):
>> On a related note, try hitting the Option-key ten or twelve
>> times while displaying the Monitors cdev's about box.  Don't ...

>So what does this do?  Whenever I'm holding down the key, a little
>smiling Mac appears in the picture of the screen (this smiling Mac
>can be dragged around.)  No matter how many times I hit the option ...

Click on the "7.0" in the upper right hand corner of the Monitors cdev
window, THEN start whacking the option key.  Very silly.

Bill (johnston@minnie.me.udel.edu)

Edward.Rice@p4214.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Edward Rice) (06/04/91)

Re:
     I first saw notice of this goodie a couple of weeks ago in either
     this newsgroup or in c.s.m.system. It was mentioned as a 7.0 goodie,
     but the other night, when I was playing on a friend's Mac running
     6.0.7, I discovered that the Monitors control panel in that system
     does this, too!

6.0.5 also.

 * Origin: "It's still in beta testing," Tom said pointedly. (1:109/421.4214)

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (06/04/91)

In article <53610@apple.Apple.COM> keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) writes:
>In article <25199@well.sf.ca.us> smoke@well.sf.ca.us (Nicholas Jackiw) writes:
>>On a related note, try hitting the Option-key ten or twelve
>>times while displaying the Monitors cdev's about box. [System 7.0]
>
>I first saw notice of this goodie a couple of weeks ago in either
>this newsgroup or in c.s.m.system. It was mentioned as a 7.0 goodie,
>but the other night, when I was playing on a friend's Mac running
>6.0.7, I discovered that the Monitors control panel in that system
>does this, too!
>Keith Rollin  ---  Apple Computer, Inc.

I thought this one had been around for quite some time--the ability to
put the startup screen and MacsBug on a different monitor than the
menubar.  Just hold down option, click on the happy Mac, and drag it to
the monitor of choice.

Or am I missing something, and there is MORE to this in System 7.0?
--
| Paul E. Jacoby, 3M Company, 3M Center, 235-3F-27                   |
| Maplewood, MN   55144-1000     .-----------------------------------|

d88-jwa@byse.nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) (06/04/91)

About the monitors cdev; if you have it at the edge of the screen
and hit the options button, the dialog for gamma correction is
placed partly off screen. Irritating !

--
						Jon W{tte
						h+@nada.kth.se

bcarter@claven.idbsu.edu (Bruce Carter) (06/05/91)

*heh*

I love this kind of stuff in Apple software.  A little fun and creativity here
and there is a good thing.

Bruce Carter                                 Internet: bcarter@claven.idbsu.edu
Courseware Development Coordinator                     duscarte@idbsu.idbsu.edu
Boise State University                    Bitnet/CREN: duscarte@idbsu

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun4.153128.22774@mmm.serc.3m.com> pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) writes:
>In article <53610@apple.Apple.COM> keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) writes:
>>In article <25199@well.sf.ca.us> smoke@well.sf.ca.us (Nicholas Jackiw) writes:
>>>On a related note, try hitting the Option-key ten or twelve
>>>times while displaying the Monitors cdev's about box. [System 7.0]
>>
>>I first saw notice of this goodie a couple of weeks ago in either
>>this newsgroup or in c.s.m.system. It was mentioned as a 7.0 goodie,
>>but the other night, when I was playing on a friend's Mac running
>>6.0.7, I discovered that the Monitors control panel in that system
>>does this, too!
>
>I thought this one had been around for quite some time--the ability to
>put the startup screen and MacsBug on a different monitor than the
>menubar.  Just hold down option, click on the happy Mac, and drag it to
>the monitor of choice.
>
>Or am I missing something, and there is MORE to this in System 7.0?

Yes, you're missing something. Reread the second line of your quote
from Nicholas' posting. We're talking about the Monitor cdev's
About Box, not the main display. You get the About box by clicking
on the version number.