[net.micro] Anchor Automation 1200 baud modem

accuncg@ecsvax.UUCP (12/02/83)

We received the Anchor Signalman Mark XII for evaluation last week.  Although
I am not familiar with the Hayes protocol, the Mark XII *seems* to be quite
compatible (e.g., the sequence "+++" returns the modem to command mode, rather
than putting the unit on-hook (as does the Password)).  The Signalman, like the
Password comes up in "verbose" mode--very "talky"--which won't work well as
auto-answer on our Micom 600 port-selector.  Nevertheless, it is *fine* for use
with terminal or micro and I recommend it as a "best buy" at the $300 price.
Incidentally, they also advertise a 212A compatible board for the IBM/PC at what
appears to be the same price.

About the Password:  U.S. Robotics has informed me that chips are available for
swapping which will enable the Password to power-up in "quiet" mode--ideal for
our use with the Micom switch.  It is possible that Anchor can do the same
thing--but I have not inquired.

Both Password and Anchor carry a two-year warranty.

				T. W. Hildebrandt
				Academic Computer Center
				UNC-Greensboro

omsi@reed.UUCP (OMSI) (12/05/83)

Sorry about errant pathname in earlier message...
Has anyone had experience with the Signalman Mark XII modem from Anchor
Automation?  Supposedly it is Hayes compatible and is being sold by some
dealers for under $300.  (212A compatible direct-connect, auto-dial,
auto-answer).  Much thanx,
Bob Ankeney

ROODE%sri-nic@sri-unix.UUCP (12/14/83)

From:  David Roode <ROODE@sri-nic>

What do you mean when you say the Achor Signalman Mark XII modem
comes up in a "talky" mode?  Won't it answer the phone of
it rings just after a power cycle to the modem?
-------

accuncg@ecsvax.UUCP (12/29/83)

	From:  David Roode <ROODE@sri-nic>

	What do you mean when you say the Achor Signalman Mark XII modem
	comes up in a "talky" mode?  Won't it answer the phone of
	it rings just after a power cycle to the modem?
-------

When the modem powers-up it is in "verbose" mode--what I meant by
"talky".  In particular, when it receives a ring signal from the
phone line, it sends the ASCII sequence "RING" to the host.  The
modem can be made "quiet" by a command from the host.

Now the application I had in mind was to use it as an unattended
auto-answer device with a Micom 600 port-selector, which expects
the first (speed-sense) character to be sent from the remote ter-
minal.  And the worry is that after a power interruption the modem
cannot automatically be restored to "quiet" mode.

I am sure that in most applications, the "verbose" mode on power-up
would make no difference at all.

				T. W. Hildebrandt
				Academic Computer Center
				UNC-Greensboro