[comp.sys.mac.programmer] AppleEvents using the "CSHELL"

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (06/06/91)

On the Developer System 7 disk there is an application shell called
the CShell.  It was written by Eric Soldan of Apple DTS and supports
many System 7 features.

I've been working with this code and have been trying to get it to
open a document when it receives the Open Document AppleEvent.  The
code fails with an error -1700, data could not be coerced to the requested
data type, when it is parsing the open document AppleEvent.

So - is any one using this code?  Is Eric Soldan working on it further?
Any ideas why it might get that error?  Fixes?

As you can no doubt tell, I'm new to this AppleEvent stuff.  It all
seems rather complicated, though powerful.

-- michael peirce

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (06/07/91)

In article <0B01FFFB.hfox5b@outpost.UUCP> peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) writes:
>On the Developer System 7 disk there is an application shell called
>the CShell.  It was written by Eric Soldan of Apple DTS and supports
>many System 7 features.
>
>I've been working with this code and have been trying to get it to
>open a document when it receives the Open Document AppleEvent.  The
>code fails with an error -1700, data could not be coerced to the requested
>data type, when it is parsing the open document AppleEvent.
>
>So - is any one using this code?  Is Eric Soldan working on it further?
>Any ideas why it might get that error?  Fixes?

Thus spake the Great Soldini:

``Well, yes, that's true.  The bug he has is because I got bitten by an
interface change.  This is actually old news.

The sad thing is that it means that the latest version wasn't pressed
on the latest CD.  They have the latest, so I am not sure why this
happened.

I guess that is an improvement over the "Gorilla's in the Disk" CD, on
which they forgot to put anything I had ever touched anywhere on the
damned thing.

The current version I am working on has a lot of new gizmos I think you
will like.  If this latest version passes [testing] without being torn
apart too badly, then I think I have something.

Eric "Never Quite Done" Soldan.''

Keith Rollin  ---  Apple Computer, Inc.
INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"But where the senses fail us, reason must step in."  - Galileo