[comp.sys.mac.programmer] OpenDriver

dubuc@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Martin Dubuc) (06/07/91)

I am trying to open the device driver of the printer serial port. The actual
call is OpenDriver("\p.BOut", &refNum). The call to this routine returns
error -98 (portNotConfig? it's an AppleTalk error!). If I open the serial
communication port the same way, there are no problems. What's wrong?

Thanks,
--

   Martin Dubuc                     dubuc@IRO.UMontreal.CA
   Tel.: (514) 343-6111, ext. 3507  Local S-242, Pavillon Principal

In article <1991Jun7.161708.18727@IRO.UMontreal.CA> dubuc@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Martin Dubuc) writes:
>I am trying to open the device driver of the printer serial port. The actual
>call is OpenDriver("\p.BOut", &refNum). The call to this routine returns
>error -98 (portNotConfig? it's an AppleTalk error!). If I open the serial
>communication port the same way, there are no problems. What's wrong?

Try turning AppleTalk off.

peterc@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter Creath) (06/08/91)

dubuc@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Martin Dubuc @ Universite de Montreal) writes:
| I am trying to open the device driver of the printer serial port. The
| actual call is OpenDriver("\p.BOut", &refNum). The call to this
| routine returns error -98 (portNotConfig? it's an AppleTalk error!).
| If I open the serial communication port the same way, there are no
| problems. What's wrong?

Well, it sounds to me like you've got Chooser telling your Mac that
Appletalk is active.  Go to Chooser, deactivate Appletalk, and if the
problem persists, scream.