[comp.sys.mac.programmer] XTND - format docs WANTED

lowersbp@infonode.ingr.com (Ben P Lowers) (06/10/91)

I am looking into writing some goodies for Claris' 'XTND'
technology.  Does anyone know if the formats are widely
available, and if so, what ftp site (IP address) can I
try via anonymous ftp?  Thanks in advance!

Info:  the XTND technology, I believe, is the way in which
custom-developed code can work in the environment of some
of Claris' newest applications (Filemaker Pro and MacWrite Pro).
Please correct me if I am wrong.
--
Ben Lowers                      | Intergraph Corp.
  lowersbp@ingr.com    or       | Huntsville,AL  35894-0001

drc@claris.com (Dennis Cohen) (06/10/91)

lowersbp@infonode.ingr.com (Ben P Lowers) writes:

>I am looking into writing some goodies for Claris' 'XTND'
>technology.  Does anyone know if the formats are widely
>available, and if so, what ftp site (IP address) can I
>try via anonymous ftp?  Thanks in advance!
>
>Info:  the XTND technology, I believe, is the way in which
>custom-developed code can work in the environment of some
>of Claris' newest applications (Filemaker Pro and MacWrite Pro).
>Please correct me if I am wrong.

You're a little off.  XTND is the technology that allows file format conversion.
In other words, a generic front end and API to import/export.  FileMaker Pro
and MacWrite Pro both use XTND for import/export (and MacWrite Pro uses it
for Publish/Subscribe as well).  FileMaker Pro does not have a "plug-in"
capability such as the one in MacWrite Pro (which the Marketing people have
dubbed "Add-it"s).

To the best of my knowledge, there are no translators _currently_ available
via ftp for use with XTND; however, that should change after next month's
shipment of XTND by APDA (with an Apple label).  With it being a supported
Apple standard, I would expect the proliferation of translators to commence.