[comp.sys.mac.programmer] C++ load/dump, once again, once again

bowman@reed.UUCP (Eric Bowman) (06/10/91)

A couple of weeks ago, I posted I was having problems getting dump/load to
work; I was told I needed the 3.2 libraries.  Well, I got them off of the
system 7 beta CD.  Here's the current configuration:

MPW Shell version 3.2b12
MPW CFront version 1.0
MPW C version 3.2b1
MPW Link version 3.2b6.4

All running under System 7.0, on a IIcx.

When I link, I get the following error (the same one I got before):

### While reading file ":SymObj:TApplication.cp.o"
### Link: Error: Bad object file: (Error 89) inconsistent declaration of a
### file object
### Link: Errors prevented normal completion.
### MPW Shell - Execution of AppDebug.makeout terminated.
### MPW Shell - Execution of BuildProgram terminated.

To create the header file, I use the command:

CPlus :includes:PopBioHeaders.h -dumpc :SymObj:PopBioHeaders.h.dump
  -o :SymObj:PopBioHeaders.h.o -sym on -i :includes: -mbg on -mark fcts -mf

The sources are compiled as such:

CPlus :cplussource:TApplication.cp -sym on -i :includes: -mbg on -mark fcts
   -mf -load :SymObj:PopBioHeaders.h.dump  -o :SymObj:TApplication.cp.o

And the link is as follows:

Link -w -t APPL -c POPB -mf -ra IO=resPreload,resLocked -srt -sym on
	[ object files]
	"{CLibraries}"CSANELib.o
	"{CLibraries}"Math.o
	"{CLibraries}"CplusLib.o
	"{CLibraries}"StdCLib.o
	"{Libraries}"Interface.o
	"{Libraries}"Runtime.o
	-o AppDebug

(option-d's omitted.)

Are the libraries in the right order?  Why the @#$!% doesn't this work?
Any (more...) help would be greatly appreciated.

later,
bobo
bowman@reed.{bitnet,UUCP,edu}

ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett) (06/10/91)

bowman@reed.UUCP (Eric Bowman) writes:

I had the same error message some time ago. I just wish I could remember what
the solution was (sorry). I believe rebuilding the MacApp libraries solved it.
Just remember to include -PasLoad and -Pascal -clean as options.

Someone really ought to keep track of these MPW problems. (Easy enough for me
to say -- it would be a full time job :-( Damn this MPW crap.)

Oh, yes, -Autobuild and -e are other options to stick in there...

--
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Lanett						mlanett@uiuc.edu

bowman@reed.UUCP (Eric Bowman) (06/11/91)

In article <16485@reed.UUCP> I wrote:
>A couple of weeks ago, I posted I was having problems getting dump/load to
>work; I was told I needed the 3.2 libraries.  Well, I got them off of the
>system 7 beta CD.  Here's the current configuration:

>MPW Shell version 3.2b12
>MPW CFront version 1.0
>MPW C version 3.2b1
>MPW Link version 3.2b6.4

>All running under System 7.0, on a IIcx.

>When I link, I get the following error (the same one I got before):

>### While reading file ":SymObj:TApplication.cp.o"
>### Link: Error: Bad object file: (Error 89) inconsistent declaration of a
>### file object
>### Link: Errors prevented normal completion.
>### MPW Shell - Execution of AppDebug.makeout terminated.
>### MPW Shell - Execution of BuildProgram terminated.

I neglected to mentioned that I *am not* using MacApp.

What's up, Apple?  I've been using C-- for over a year now, and the fact
that dump and load don't work continues to waste incredible amounts of time
and money.  Maybe I should switch back to Think...

later,
BoBo                                                 Ready, Willing, & Abelian
bowman@reed.{edu,bitnet,uucp}
"I think that there is a moral to this story, namely that it is more important
to have beauty in one's equations than to have them fit experiment." - Dirac