[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Dialog Box while Printing

CAH0@bunny.gte.com (Chuck Hoffman) (06/11/91)

This may sound trivial but, honest, I've worked on it every night for a
week.  While printing, I want to put up a message like "Press
command-period to stop printing."  Should be easy.  I tried an Alert, but
that waited for a reply.  So did ModalDialog.  I've tried IsDialogEvent in
my main loop, but it never returns a TRUE, even when I click the mouse in
the dialog window.

Right now, I'm just doing a GetNewDialog, then drawing into the window
with TextBox.  Of course, there is nothing to redraw the window if it has
been obscured, so I lose the text after a while.  InvalRect has no effect.
 Installing the text as a useritem, to be drawn with the already existing
procedure for drawing useritems, has no effect.

I am treating the text as a useritem because, except when I was using
ModalDialog, static text never gets drawn in the window, though check
box control titles do.

So what's the best way to do this?  Bring up a regular text window?

Chuck Hoffman, GTE Laboratories, Inc.    |  I'm not sure why we're here,
cah0@bunny.gte.com                       |  but I am sure that while we're
Telephone (U.S.A.) 617-466-2131          |  here, we're supposed to help
GTE VoiceNet: 679-2131                   |  each other.
GTE Telemail: C.HOFFMAN                  |

aep@world.std.com (Andrew E Page) (06/11/91)

In article <11348@bunny.GTE.COM> CAH0@bunny.gte.com (Chuck Hoffman) writes:
>This may sound trivial but, honest, I've worked on it every night for a
>week.  While printing, I want to put up a message like "Press
>command-period to stop printing."  Should be easy.  I tried an Alert, but
>that waited for a reply.  So did ModalDialog.  I've tried IsDialogEvent in
>my main loop, but it never returns a TRUE, even when I click the mouse in
>the dialog window.

   Have you tried using the pIdleProc in the Job subrecord?  Check
IM II 151-154 for details.

--
Andrew E. Page (Warrior Poet)   |   Decision and Effort The Archer and Arrow
Concepts Enginerring            |     The difference between what we are