[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Sound conversions under 7.0...

danny@utkux1.utk.edu (Danny W. McCampbell) (05/30/91)

Could some of you experienced gurus out there tell me what the best and
most efficient way
to convert old 'snd ' s to double-clickable sounds to use under 7.0?  I
have most all the sounds posted on Sumex and I would like them to be
double clickable under 7.0.  Thanks in advance.

Danny W. McCampbell
Computer Operator/Systems Analyst
University of Tennessee
Office:  (615) 974-0138

pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May29.180444.26084@cs.utk.edu> danny@utkux1.utk.edu (Danny W. McCampbell) writes:
>Could some of you experienced gurus out there tell me what the best and
>most efficient way
>to convert old 'snd ' s to double-clickable sounds to use under 7.0?  I

On a related note, what might cause sounds that are playable under
System 6.0.5 to no longer play under 7.0?  I have a mix of 'snd 's in a
few suitcase, and some play, some don't under 7.0.  I can't spot
anything in particular (all are snd format 1, various sample speeds).

Note that they will neither play via the Sound control panel nor
SoundMover 1.7, nor SNDControl 1.1.1.  Resedit doesn't like them either.
Could this be related to something I saw once regarding fixing 'naughty'
sounds for System 6.0.4/5?

--
| Paul E. Jacoby, 3M Company, 3M Center, 235-3F-27                   |
| Maplewood, MN   55144-1000     .-----------------------------------|

REEKES@applelink.apple.com (Jim Reekes) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May30.163825.21930@mmm.serc.3m.com>, pejacoby@mmm.serc.3m.com (Paul E. Jacoby) writes:

> In article <1991May29.180444.26084@cs.utk.edu> danny@utkux1.utk.edu (Danny W. McCampbell) writes:
> Could some of you experienced gurus out there tell me what the best
> and most efficient way to convert old 'snd ' s to double-clickable
> sounds to use under 7.0?

Here's the easiest method I can think of.

1. Open SoundEdit or ResEdit.
2. Open the Sound control panel device.
3. Open your sound file.
4. Copy the sound.
5. Paste sound into the Sound cdev.
6. Repeat steps 3-5 for all sounds.
7. Quit all applications.
8. Open the System file (by dbl-clicking in the Finder)
9. Drag all the sounds you want to a new folder.

> On a related note, what might cause sounds that are playable under
> System 6.0.5 to no longer play under 7.0?

I've seen this many times to be the fault of badly formatted snd resources.
We improved the error detection in the Sound Manager, and this means
some incorrect sounds will no longer play.  Without seeing the resource
data, I cannot help you.  Refer to the Sound Manager documentation of
Inside Mac VI.

Jim Reekes, E.O.             |     Macintosh Toolbox Engineering
                             |          Sound Manger Expert
Apple Computer, Inc.         | "All opinions expressed are mine, and do
20525 Mariani Ave. MS: 81-EQ |   not necessarily represent those of my
Cupertino, CA 95014          |       employer, Apple Computer Inc."

jhannah@netcom.COM (Jamal Hannah) (06/05/91)

To Jim Reekes:

Jim, has anyone written a program to convert from "snd " resources to AIFF
format, or to directly play from AIFF?  I knew a few people who tried to
write code to do this and they had alot of trouble.

Does anyone else know where I could get some source code to do this?
| Jamal Hannah   | Internet: jhannah@netcom.com                            |
|                |                           UUCP: ..!apple!netcom!jhannah |

REEKES@applelink.apple.com (Jim Reekes) (06/12/91)

In article <676362087.19@egsgate.FidoNet.Org>, Jamal.Hannah@f98.n250.z1.FidoNet.Org (Jamal Hannah) writes:

> To Jim Reekes:
>
> Jim, has anyone written a program to convert from "snd " resources to AIFF
> format, or to directly play from AIFF?  I knew a few people who tried to
> write code to do this and they had alot of trouble.
>
> Does anyone else know where I could get some source code to do this?

Well, SoundEdit will open both snd resources and AIFF files.  You can "save as" any other type of
sound too.  Additionally, under System 7 we wrote all that code for you.  You can play the snd
resource using SndPlay and the AIFF file by calling SndStartFilePlay.

If you're not using System 7, then you'll have to open the AIFF file yourself and create
a standard sound header out of it.  It's pretty easy, but I don't have any sample code
to share.