[net.micro] Ham Radio packet programs

w8sdz%brl@sri-unix.UUCP (12/31/83)

From:      Keith Petersen <w8sdz@brl>

The following is relayed from the Sysop Clearinghouse RCPM.

---
Title:  Packet Radio transmissions.
Date:   20-Dec-83
From:   Benny D. Miller Jr.  WB8LGH

Protocal: At this time useing Dale Heatherington's
          (of D.C. Hayes fame), packet  programs,
          modifyed  for  modem712, and  m8modem
          overlays.

    To all interested in Radio packet transmisions.  At this
time  there are at least 2 packet radio stations in Columbus
Ohio, and more to be added within the next few weeks.  We in
Columbus  are going to re-write the current programs in  'C'
only  with  the AX.25 protocal,  that seems to  be  in  wide
spread  acceptance.   If any other stations,  or persons are
interested in this form of communications, we can  provide a
common  place,  and  table  for  printing  up  info,  to  be
distributed.   At  this  time their are about  8-12  in  the
Columbus  area  that are interested,  and proably  will  put
packet on their stations.
    The  current  level of operation is simple to interface,
and  can  be  made more  complicated,  as  the  pograms  are
updated.   At this time we have interfaced CP/M, and an MP/M
system.   We  hope that by shifting to th 'C' language  (old
version  in  8080  assembly) that this will  open  up  other
processors, and operating systems to the packet system.

   There  are  good argueing statements as to why  not  just
purchase a  TNC (terminal node controller) and just  use  an
interface  to communicate with the TNC.   I'm not trying  to
bypass  the  TNC,  as they are very good designs,  and  good
support.   Although  there are many that feel their  current
computers are not doing much,  much of the time,  and  would
like  to  persue  another avenue,  and that is what  we  are
doing.   While striveing to stay in, and within the stardard
communications.

   So  there  it is in a nut  (shell),  and  are,  and  will
continue   to   progress  to  an  automated  way   to   pass
documentation,   public   domain  software  and  the  packet
software (all will be public domain).   In the Columbus area
we  have  passed several updated versions by radio just  for
updateing,  and will continue to do so.  So I guess what I'm
trying  to say is if you are interested,  by all means  call
the Columbus Ohio Remote MP/M system, and pickup any updated
software,  or leave any modifyed software, or ideas for this
type of project.

   Columbus Ohio Remote MP/M CBBS
   Data: 614-279-CBBS