[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Good Mac Programming Books

dxandy@cs.widener.edu (Andrew J. Greenshields N3IGS) (06/05/91)

  I am looking for a good book on Macintosh programming.  I already have
Macintosh Revealed vols I, II,and III, How To Write Macintosh Software
and C Programming Techniques for the Macintosh.  The last two contain
some useful examples, but you have to wade through an awful lot to pick
them out.  Macintosh Revealed is a good reference source, but difficult to
learn from.

  The ideal book would be one which gave individual examples of how to
put a window on the screen, play a sound from a resource and so on.

Thanks in advance

--
Andrew J. Greenshields N3IGS | "We call him Neutron because he`s so positive."
dxandy@cyber.widener.edu     |     Female scientist in  This Island Earth

rat@po.CWRU.Edu (Reza A. Tabib-Azar) (06/05/91)

The bk is "Using the Macintosh ToolBox With C". It is a great book and
it is basicaly all examples and explanation of what each toolbox rotine does and used for.
ISBN 0-89588-572-7

I have nothing to the with book except that I have read it and liked it!

That's not a "bug", that's a feature!

s902113@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Luke Mewburn) (06/05/91)

dxandy@cs.widener.edu (Andrew J. Greenshields N3IGS) writes:

>  I am looking for a good book on Macintosh programming.  I already have
>Macintosh Revealed vols I, II,and III, How To Write Macintosh Software
>and C Programming Techniques for the Macintosh.  The last two contain
>some useful examples, but you have to wade through an awful lot to pick
>them out.  Macintosh Revealed is a good reference source, but difficult to
>learn from.

>  The ideal book would be one which gave individual examples of how to
>put a window on the screen, play a sound from a resource and so on.

I've got the "Macintosh Programming Primer - Using the Toolbox using THINK
C", by Dave Wright and Cartwright Reed. Pub: Addison Wesley.

Anyway, for the review: It's extremely good. Has lots of examples,
and starts from the basics up to windows/events/dialogs/menus, etc.
Resedit is explained, and so are resources. Appropriate references to
IM are made too.

>Thanks in advance

>--
>Andrew J. Greenshields N3IGS | "We call him Neutron because he`s so positive."
>dxandy@cyber.widener.edu     |     Female scientist in  This Island Earth
>dxandy@cs.widener.edu        |    ****** STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY ******
| Luke Mewburn [Zak]                | #disclaimer: I _own_ these opinions, |
| s902113@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au      |      No-one else deserves them  :-)  |

peterhi@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Peter Hickman) (06/06/91)

My favorite books are...

    The macintosh programming primer, dave mark and cartwright reed

    and

    The macintosh programming primer ( Volume 2 ), dave mark

both are very good "lets write some code" style books based around think C
versions 3 and 4, in volume 2 at least. A friend of mine is learning from these
and the Inside Mac books ( Volumes 1 and 2 at the moment ) and has managed to
write his second year project in less than 10 weeks. So I'd say they were
good.

Peter Hi

        Peter "You're doing computing as an ARTS degree!" Hickman
      COGS U/G PH, University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton, BN1 9QH
--------------------------------------- peterhi@uk.ac.sussex.syma ------------
    SOMETHING EMBASASING UNDER CONSTRUCTION (other than the spelling!)
--------------------------------------- peterhi@uk.ac.sussex.tsuna -----------
      "More beer, more shouting, resistance is useless" - USTA bars

dxandy@cs.widener.edu (Andrew J. Greenshields N3IGS) (06/07/91)

  I would like to thank all the people who wrote to me recommending good
Mac programming books.  By almost unanimous consent, the best book is
Mac Programming Primer.  I have ordered it from my local book store.

Thanks again.

--

coxr@piccolo.ecn.purdue.edu (Richard L Cox) (06/12/91)

dxandy@cs.widener.edu (Andrew J. Greenshields N3IGS) writes:
>  I am looking for a good book on Macintosh programming.  I already have
>Macintosh Revealed vols I, II,and III, How To Write Macintosh Software
>and C Programming Techniques for the Macintosh.  The last two contain
>some useful examples, but you have to wade through an awful lot to pick
>them out.  Macintosh Revealed is a good reference source, but difficult to
>learn from.

>  The ideal book would be one which gave individual examples of how to
>put a window on the screen, play a sound from a resource and so on.

There are 2 "Ideal" books then:

Macintosh Programming Primer Vol I,II
by Dave Mark & Cartwright Reed (I)
Addison Wesley

Vol I - Has the Basics Drawing, Windows, Event Manager, Dialogs, Using
        Res Edit to make Resources & Tons of examples - All in Think C

Vol II - More advanced techniques - Code Resources, Color QuickDraw,
         Text Edit, and Object Programming, + tons more Examples a la
         Think C

-Rich

Internet: coxr@ecn.purdue.edu  (no Snappy signature on this machine,
                                you'll have to imagine a cool one  )