[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Followup to Pasting Icons in 7/ and also / Inside Mac VI

jkeegan@hawk.ulowell.edu (Jeff Keegan) (05/30/91)

First of all, thank you to all who replied, and the final word is this:
(forgive me if everything I say here has been posted, I've lost the ability
to distinguish mail and news in my mind at this point.. blame it on hunger
and fatigue    :(        )

  To touch up an icon you've pasted onto a folder or hard drive,
    Edit the invisible file called "Icon" in the root directory of the
    folder or drive and change the mask there

and second, the color icl8's and icl4's and ICON's etc for files are in the
resource fork.

Come to think of it, I'm starting to remember that being posted here. Hmm.
Could this be the first instance ever of something on the net being posted
twice?       (said in extreemely sarcastic tone, for those flame-happy
              not-so-sarcastic people out there in netland)

Ok the second part of my post... I hesitate to post a message saying something
like "I finally got System 7!" or "I finally got Inside Macintosh VI!", but
I feel I just have to throw in a comment here, and to set up the statement, I
feel compelled to say .....

		"I finally got Inside Macintosh VI!"  *

But that's not my statement.. My statement is..

          "WOW, is that book BIG!"

I kind of expected it, since it HAS been described as the most impressive
software release in Macintosh history since 1984, but I didn't expect it to
be HUGE.. Wow..  Great job Apple!  I'm glad everything was covered, and
someone didn't sit there and complain about how much bookshelf space that
information would take up, and wouldn't it be such a waste to have the book
that big.... (I know, an apology was posted for the "No-silly-disk-wasting-
stuff-in-my-system-software" post, but I just had to get in SOMETHING..
I apologize myself)...  I look forward to exploring it in detail..

..Jeff Keegan

p.s.  By the way, am I the only person on the net that noticed the mountains
in the "option"-about box in system 7?  I hate to ruin suprises like that, but
I was touched...

   Nostalgia is great, even if I don't know if I spelled it correctly or not...

| Jeff Keegan                | I clutch the wire fence until my fingers bleed |
| jkeegan@hawk.ulowell.edu   | A wound that will not heal                     |
|----------------------------| A heart that cannot feel                       |
| This space intentionally   | Hoping that the horror will receed             |
| left blank                 | Hoping that tomorrow we'll all be freed  -RUSH |

Edward.Rice@p4214.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Edward Rice) (06/02/91)

Try Apple-Option when you pull down Abouthte Finder, and watch the cursor.

 * Origin: "It's still in beta testing," Tom said pointedly. (1:109/421.4214)

Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Lawson English) (06/03/91)

Jeff Keegan writes in a message to All

JK> p.s. By the way, am I the only person on the net that noticed
JK> the mountains in the "option"-about box in system 7? I hate to
JK> ruin suprises like that, but I was touched..
JK> Nostalgia is great, even if I don't know if I spelled it correctly
JK> or not..

I don't know what you mean about "nostalgia," but did you notice the lop-sided
"smiley" cursor that you get when you do <cmd><option>-about?

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!300!15.88!Lawson.English
Internet: Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org

jkeegan@hawk.ulowell.edu (Jeff Keegan) (06/04/91)

In article <13179.284AE760@stjhmc.fidonet.org> Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Lawson English) writes:
>Jeff Keegan writes in a message to All
>
>JK> p.s. By the way, am I the only person on the net that noticed
>JK> the mountains in the "option"-about box in system 7? I hate to
>JK> ruin suprises like that, but I was touched..
>JK> Nostalgia is great, even if I don't know if I spelled it correctly
>JK> or not..
>

>I don't know what you mean about "nostalgia," but did you notice the lop-sided
>"smiley" cursor that you get when you do <cmd><option>-about?
>

>--
>Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!300!15.88!Lawson.English
>Internet: Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org

That is the about screen for the first Finder..  Waaaaaaaaay back then..
That's what I meant..

The hunt for cute option-cmd-ctl-shift clicks continues.......

Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Lawson English) (06/06/91)

Jeff Keegan writes in a message to All

JK> That is the about screen for the first Finder.. Waaaaaaaaay back
JK> then.. That's what I meant..
JK> The hunt for cute option-cmd-ctl-shift clicks continues....

The really neat ones occur when you use your right hand for the option/cmd/ctl/shift
's instead of your left...

Lawson

--

In article <13451.284F96B6@stjhmc.fidonet.org> Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Lawson English) writes:
>Jeff Keegan writes in a message to All
>
>The really neat ones occur when you use your right hand for the option/cmd/ctl/shift
>'s instead of your left...

Really?  <tries it>.  Nope, nothing different-- how would it know which hand
I'm using in the first place?

Oh.  EXTENDED keyboard.  Nevermind.. (now what do those of us stuck with
Apple's standard keyboard do?)

Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Lawson English) (06/11/91)

Matthew T. Russotto writes in a message to All

>The really neat ones occur when you use your right hand for the option/cmd/ctl/shift
>'s instead of your left...
 Really? <tries it>.  Nope, nothing different-- how would it know which hand
MTR> I'm using in the first place? Oh. EXTENDED keyboard. Nevermind..
MTR> (now what do those of us stuck with Apple's standard keyboard
MTR> do?

Actually, I was joking. It may be possible to tell which side is which on some
keyboards, but I doubt if anyone has done it...

I can see it now: use your right hand and a gigantic  Gothic splash screen pops
up over the dialog and a spectoral voice booms out "a lefty! <bruu ha ha ha>"
or some such idiocy.

Lawson

--

d88-jwa@byse.nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) (06/13/91)

Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Lawson English) writes:

   Actually, I was joking. It may be possible to tell which side is which
   on some keyboards, but I doubt if anyone has done it...

Check inside macintosh volume V (how old-fashioned ! :-), in the
chapter about toolbox event and new keyboards. It's in the toolbox !

--
						Jon W{tte
						h+@nada.kth.se

In article <13758.28567932@stjhmc.fidonet.org> Lawson.English@p88.f15.n300.z1.fidonet.org (Lawson English) writes:
>Matthew T. Russotto writes in a message to All
>
>>The really neat ones occur when you use your right hand for the option/cmd/ctl/shift
>>'s instead of your left...
> Really? <tries it>.  Nope, nothing different-- how would it know which hand
>MTR> I'm using in the first place? Oh. EXTENDED keyboard. Nevermind..
>MTR> (now what do those of us stuck with Apple's standard keyboard
>MTR> do?
>
>Actually, I was joking. It may be possible to tell which side is which on some
>keyboards, but I doubt if anyone has done it...

It is, it is documented, and I have done it-- to see what KeyCaps would do.
KeyCaps didn't understand the keycodes for the changed set of mod keys--
I meant to report it as a bug, but I never got around to it.

I tried all those 'cuties' in System 7 with the right hand keys, and it didn't
seem to make a difference.  I'm glad you were joking-- I thought I had missed
something. (now to return the Extended Keyboard before the cops get here. :-) )