[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Stupid MPW Tricks

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (06/13/91)

I was looking for something in my MPW startup scripts, which live in the
same folder as my worksheet.  I did the naive thing:

search something mac:mpw:<option-x>

It found some matches in some files, and then it began "search"ing
mac:mpw:worksheet...

Note For The Oversensitive:  I don't think this is a bug, deficiency,
or plot to rule the world; it's just amusing.

Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

ph@ssd.kodak.com (Pete Hoch) (06/13/91)

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:

>I was looking for something in my MPW startup scripts, which live in the
>same folder as my worksheet.  I did the naive thing:

>search something mac:mpw:<option-x>

>It found some matches in some files, and then it began "search"ing
>mac:mpw:worksheet...

>Note For The Oversensitive:  I don't think this is a bug, deficiency,
>or plot to rule the world; it's just amusing.

At least you could see what was happening because you had your worksheet
window open.  I did this once, but redirected the output to new file in
the same directory. My first reaction was, "Boy search sure is slow on this
machine."  I finally killed the command an discovered what had happened.

I guess this is why the UNIX shells build their command line first and then
execute the command.

Pete

--
Pete Hoch                         | ..somewhere..!kodak!ssd!bashow!ph   ..or..
Color Systems ISPD. 3/65/RL       | ph@ekcolorlink.ssd.kodak.com        ..or..