[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Is Preferences Folder in PMSP?

<CHARLESW@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> (06/13/91)

  In System 7, does the "Poor Man's Search Path" still exist, and if so, does
it include the Preferences folder (and if so, where in the order)?

  Thanks.  (I'm sure Inside Mac VI will be here any day now...)

Dave Charlesworth

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (06/14/91)

In article <91164.000311CHARLESW@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> CHARLESW@QUCDN.QueensU.CA writes:

>  In System 7, does the "Poor Man's Search Path" still exist, and if so, does
>it include the Preferences folder (and if so, where in the order)?

Yes, the PMSP is still supported. No, it doesn't include the
Preferences Folder.  Remember, the PMSP was implemented to support old
pre-HFS applications that expected to find system resources without
having to look in the system folder (there wasn't really a system
folder back then) or at the root level. None of these applications ever
expected a Preferences folder, so there's no reason to put that folder
in the PMSP.

Keith Rollin  ---  Apple Computer, Inc.
INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"But where the senses fail us, reason must step in."  - Galileo

rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) (06/14/91)

In article <91164.000311CHARLESW@QUCDN.QueensU.CA>
CHARLESW@QUCDN.QueensU.CA writes:
>   In System 7, does the "Poor Man's Search Path" still exist, and if so,
does
> it include the Preferences folder (and if so, where in the order)?

Yes, it exists; no, the Prefs folder isn't in it. When you get your copy
of IM VI, check out the new FindFolder call, which can locate all the
magic folders for you.

Rick Holzgrafe              |    {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!rmh
Software Engineer           | AppleLink HOLZGRAFE1          rmh@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.        |  "All opinions expressed are mine, and do
20525 Mariani Ave. MS: 3-PK |    not necessarily represent those of my
Cupertino, CA 95014         |        employer, Apple Computer Inc."
h friends
and decided to have a big iced tea with dinner.  It was late when we ate
and when I got home I couldn't go to sleep for hours (6 AM) when I "crashed".

The "down" you feel is after the insulin has lowered your blood sugar level
to normal.  But your pancreas is still pumping out insulin which lowers your
blood sugar below normal.  When your blood sugar is low, there is less for
your body to use.  Your body slows down to protect itself--the same way you
pass out when the oxygen is low--your body is conserving energy which requires
the sugar (in various forms) to move, think, type [:-)], etc.  So you feel
tired.

The feeling before the down is known as "Sugar High"; you can get from eating
cookies or candy too.  Most of the energy you get from foods high in simple
sugars is wasted or turned into fat (which takes energy).  The best foods
are complex carbohydrates (from grains and potatoes--most common sources)
which have slower burn times and don't cause exterme blood sugar fluctuations.
Most people find them dry and tasteless initally.  Once you get used to not
having a sugar blast on your toungue you'll start to taste the oats (my
favorite) and nuts and spices.  After a while restaurant nacho chips started
tasting sweet to me! (On The Border's chips).

Bill Biesty