[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Snd Input Mgr. vs SID software for data acquisition

rgonzal@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Ralph Gonzalez) (06/11/91)

I'm not much of an in-depth Toolbox person, but I'd appreciate if
someone could help me sort this out...

I recently got the freeware SID (Sound Input Device) disk from
Educorp, which describes hardware and C routines for recording sound
samples and manipulating them.  It turns out that Cedar Technology
(617-623-3563) sells a kit for $45 to build the microphone + A/D
converter hardware (with a few changes from SID's design), which I
assume is reasonable compared with commercial offerings(?).

What I want to know, however, is whether Apple's recent Sound Input
Manager (new Toolbox routines?) makes SID redundant.  In any case, are
these approaches compatible in terms of the format with which sounds
are stored to disk for editing?

I read recently that Farallon has had to modify their SoundEdit
utility to be compatible with the Sound Input Manager routines...

Thanks for any help you can give me!  Incidentally, the thing I want
to do is to write routines which perform Fast Fourier Transform
analysis on the sound samples, for measuring frequency response, etc.

Regards,
Ralph
(rgonzal@elbereth.rutgers.edu)

ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) (06/14/91)

In article <Jun.11.09.33.44.1991.19521@elbereth.rutgers.edu>,
rgonzal@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Ralph Gonzalez) writes:

> What I want to know, however, is whether Apple's recent Sound Input
> Manager (new Toolbox routines?) makes SID redundant.  In any case, are
> these approaches compatible in terms of the format with which sounds
> are stored to disk for editing?

Apple's Sound Input Manager isn't there to make any *hardware*
redundant, it's there to provide a consistent *software* interface
to whatever hardware you may have. All you need is a sound input driver
to interface between your particular hardware and the Sound Input
Manager. Apple includes a driver for the built-in hardware on
the LC and IIsi, and Farallon supply one for use with their MacRecorder.
The end result is that you can use both these kinds of hardware
with any application that supports the Sound Input Manager, such as the
HyperCard audio palette.

I don't know anything about SID, so I don't know if it feeds its data
through the serial port the same way Farallon's MacRecorder does. If
that is the case, then Farallon's MacRecorder Driver should work with
the SID hardware.

Of course, whether Farallon *like* the thought of you using their
software with somebody else's hardware, is another matter...

> I read recently that Farallon has had to modify their SoundEdit
> utility to be compatible with the Sound Input Manager routines...

Well, they brought out SoundEdit 2.0.3 to support the built-in hardware
on the LC and IIsi, and to fix some odd problems with using the
MacRecorder under System 6.0.7.

SoundEdit 2.0.3 does use the Sound Input Manager when recording
from the built-in mike on the LC and IIsi, but the thing I don't
like is that it opens the "Built-In" hardware device explicitly
by name, rather than just opening the default input device that you have
selected in the Sound control panel. Now, I concede that it might
as well drive an attached MacRecorder directly, rather than forcing
you to go via the Sound Input Manager, but this also means that
you can't easily use SoundEdit with other "fourth-party" (non-Apple,
non-Farallon) input hardware.

I complained about this to Farallon, pointing out how it would
appear to contravene Apple's guidelines etc etc. When I succeeded
in making them understand what the problem was, they said that
they did it to avoid the "support problems" from having to deal
with other people's hardware.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro                       fone: +64-71-562-889
Computer Services Dept                     fax: +64-71-384-066
University of Waikato            electric mail: ldo@waikato.ac.nz
Hamilton, New Zealand    37^ 47' 26" S, 175^ 19' 7" E, GMT+12:00
Any opinions the author has expressed in this posting are sacred to
Epimetheus, the Greek god of hindsight.