[comp.sys.mac.programmer] new interface files makes MPW pascal -108

sinteur@ooc.uva.nl (John Sinteur) (06/08/91)

When I received the Golden Master system 7 CD-ROM, I happily copied
the MPW Pascal interface files from it - the docs said it contained
the new 7.0 info and stuff, which was what I've been waiting for.

My sources have stopped compiling however, and pascal aborts with
a -108 error (which is a 'not enough room in heap zone' or some such).

I found it very strange that changing interface files made pascal
ask for that much memory - and even a non-multifinder, init-clean
4 Mb LC was not enough, so I guess there's something else going on.

I was able to find out that the {$IFC ...} clauses that precede
every *.p file was part of the cause, since they somehow influenced
from which files symbol tables were read from resource. I also
found out that compiling the same file (like this: program test;
uses types; begin writeline('blah!'); end.) did not always get the
same behaviour with respect to loading these symbol tables. I never
bothered to look at this before, so I am quite out of my depth here.

Can somebody tell me what is going on? Or give me a manual reference?
Do I have to go back to older interface files?

Thanks in advance,

-John

tel@adimail.UUCP (Terry Monks) (06/10/91)

In article <20683@slice.ooc.uva.nl>, sinteur@ooc.uva.nl (John Sinteur) writes:
> When I received the Golden Master system 7 CD-ROM, I happily copied
> the MPW Pascal interface files from it - the docs said it contained
> the new 7.0 info and stuff, which was what I've been waiting for.
>
> My sources have stopped compiling however, and pascal aborts with
> a -108 error (which is a 'not enough room in heap zone' or some such).

I asked this same question - in a different form - about two weeks ago,
and got only one response saying I should wait for the new MPW, i.e. a
rather misinformed reponse.

I solved this by stepping back to the MPW shell on the previous developer
release (b4) I have had no problems since, and have not massaged interface
files at all.

 If you get a good answer, I hope you will include me.

.
--
Terry Monks        Automata Design Inc    (703) 472-9400

josh@odgate.odesta.com (Josh Golub) (06/14/91)

sinteur@ooc.uva.nl (John Sinteur) writes:

>My sources have stopped compiling however, and pascal aborts with
>a -108 error (which is a 'not enough room in heap zone' or some such).

the release notes for mpw pascal state: use resEdit to change
the HEXA resource in the pascal tool to a larger value, such as
$00018000. this has always worked for me nicely, and is the first
thing that i must do whenever i upgrade the pascal tool.

joshua golub                            | odesta corporation

lasleyse@wam.umd.edu (Scott E. Lasley) (06/15/91)

In article <1991Jun13.205521.1852@odgate.odesta.com> josh@odgate.odesta.com (Josh Golub) writes:

>the release notes for mpw pascal state: use resEdit to change
>the HEXA resource in the pascal tool to a larger value, such as
>$00018000. this has always worked for me nicely, and is the first
>thing that i must do whenever i upgrade the pascal tool.

Josh,

thanks for the tip.  My mail to your account bounced, so I am posting
my questions.  I looked in my release notes for MPW Object Pascal 3.1
and did not find a reference to HEXA resources.  The Pascal tool I have
has 14 HEXA resources.  Which of these do I change?  Thanks in advance
for the help.