[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Capps Editor Toolkit

xpress@jessica.Stanford.EDU (Brad Hochberg) (11/30/89)

I've been trying to get a hold of a copy of Capps Editor Toolkit.  Symantec
stopped selling it a while ago and I was hoping I could find someplace with a
leftover copy laying around.  No such luck.  I called Symantec and asked them
if they had any remaining copies and they didn't.  However, they told me that I
could copy it from someone and it wouldn't violate the copyright because
Symantec no longer makes a profit by selling it.  Does anyone have a copy?  If
so, could you mail me a copy of it?  I would be forever greatful.

Thanks.

--Brad Hochberg
(xpress@jessica.Stanford.EDU)

xpress@jessica.Stanford.EDU (Brad Hochberg) (11/30/89)

I've been trying ot obtain a copy of Symantec's Capps Editor Toolkit.  This has
been difficult because Symantec no longer sells it.  I have been unable to
locate a place with any leftover copies.  I called Symantec and they didn't
have any remaining copies either.  However, they said that I could legally copy
it because they no longer make a profit by selling it.  So, does any one have a
copy?  (I need the Pascal version).  If so, could you email me a copy of it?  I
would be forever grateful.

Thanks.

--Brad Hochberg
(xpress@jessica.Stanford.EDU)

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (12/01/89)

In article <7110@portia.Stanford.EDU> xpress@jessica.Stanford.EDU (Brad Hochberg) writes:

>I've been trying to get a hold of a copy of Capps Editor Toolkit.  Symantec
>stopped selling it a while ago and I was hoping I could find someplace with a
>leftover copy laying around.  No such luck.  I called Symantec and asked them
>if they had any remaining copies and they didn't.  However, they told me that I
>could copy it from someone and it wouldn't violate the copyright because
>Symantec no longer makes a profit by selling it.  Does anyone have a copy?  If
>so, could you mail me a copy of it?  I would be forever greatful.

	I can't believe that anyone in a position of responsibility would
tell you such a thing. Capps is discontinued, but it is still covered
by copyright and license agreement, so it is illegal to get a copy from
a licensed owner.

	You may find a dealer with old stock who is willing to sell you a
copy; that is your best bet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Rich Siegel
 Staff Software Developer
 Symantec Corporation, Language Products Group
 Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
 UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel

"There is no personal problem which cannot be solved by sufficient
application of high explosives."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

amanda@intercon.com (Amanda Walker) (12/01/89)

In article <3301@husc6.harvard.edu>, siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel)
writes:
> Capps is discontinued, but it is still covered
> by copyright and license agreement, so it is illegal to get a copy from
> a licensed owner.

So, Rich, any idea why Capps' was discontinued?  The "how can I get a copy"
question seems to be perennial, and the package does work...

Symantec advertised it hard enough for a while there that I'm surprised
they aren't interested in recouping at least some of that investment, even
if all they do is sell copies when people call asking for them...

As for me, I'm glad I bought a copy a couple of years ago; it was one of
the most cost effective software purchases I've ever made.

--
Amanda Walker
InterCon Systems Corporation

earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) (12/01/89)

In article <3301@husc6.harvard.edu> siegel@endor.UUCP (Rich Siegel) writes:
>In article <7110@portia.Stanford.EDU> xpress@jessica.Stanford.EDU
	(Brad Hochberg) writes:

>>I've been trying to get a hold of a copy of Capps Editor Toolkit.
>	You may find a dealer with old stock who is willing to sell you a
>copy; that is your best bet.

     The terminal driver for the Macintosh version of MicroEmacs 3.10
now supports arbitrary text fonts and sizes.  It provides a single
window in which a host program can manage text buffers of any size.
The terminal module is structured so that it would not be too
difficult to support multiple windows, merely by changing global
variable definitions into a structure definition.  Mouse control of
the text in the window is supported by two mechanisms, either by
sending application defined mouse events to the emacs kernel or by a
more conventional direct manipulation of window contents from the
mouse tracking routines.  When combined with MicroEmacs, it implements
nearly everything that standard TextEdit does with the (current)
exception of hilighted selection ranges.  The terminal driver can be
programmed using escape codes, and it would be possible to write a
termcap entry for it, if you want to port UNIX code or whatever.

     I plan to post an alpha version of the editor to sumex soon, and
I will be sending Dan Lawrence the source code as soon as I am done
with some more testing.  Inquiries concerning the source code should
be sent to the address contained in the "About..." box.  I believe
there will be some (nominal) fee.  It is useless to send Dan Lawrence
inquiries before the binary appears on sumex, as I haven't sent him
the code yet.  It is useless to send me inquiries for anything, as I
am gearing up for The Big Move, and will be busy.  An older version of
the MicroEmacs source is now on sumex, but the terminal driver is
harder to use, and doesn't support proportional fonts.  Besides, it
doesn't work with 64k ROMs, as the new driver does.

     Writing a text management package which is based on QuickDraw is
not difficult, it just takes a fair amount of time.  It is the
Apple-recommended way to implement a high performance word processor
or text editor.  Get the MicroEmacs source code, or start from
scratch, brew up a pot of double-strength coffee, and start coding it
now.

Earle R. Horton

In article <1584@intercon.com> amanda@intercon.com (Amanda Walker) writes:
>In article <3301@husc6.harvard.edu>, siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel)
>writes:

>So, Rich, any idea why Capps' was discontinued?  The "how can I get a copy"
>question seems to be perennial, and the package does work...

	I'm not really sure myself; I think that the product wasn't selling
enough copies to justify the expense of producing and marketing it.

	The sources to the package are available for licensing; the price
is negotiable, but it's fairly expensive.

R.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

minow@mountn.dec.com (Martin Minow) (12/02/89)

In article <17498@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
(Earle R. Horton) writes:
>     Writing a text management package which is based on QuickDraw is
>not difficult, it just takes a fair amount of time.  ...
>Get the MicroEmacs source code, or start from scratch, brew up a pot
>of double-strength coffee, and start coding it now.

Or, you can wait until the spring, when my TextEdit clone is published
in MacTutor.

It's a two-part article: the first part describes how mouse-tracking
works, while the second part has the sources for about 90% of TextEdit.
(I didn't implement ScriptManager or Styles.)  By rewriting the data
storage module, you could build your own editor kernel without too much
difficulty.  (He says, not having done so.)

Ps: it takes a large amount of time.

Martin Minow
minow@thundr.enet.dec.com

amanda@intercon.com (Amanda Walker) (12/02/89)

In article <3309@husc6.harvard.edu>, siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel)
writes:
> 	I'm not really sure myself; I think that the product wasn't selling
> enough copies to justify the expense of producing and marketing it.

That sounds reasonable, but I still wonder why it isn't for sale at all
anymore.  It's not as though it was expensively packaged :-).

There seems to be a low but constant demand for the package.  Very few
people ask for source, since it is useful enough for most people just as
it is in binary form.  Is there some marketeer at Symantec that people
could lobby for alternatives to multi-thousand dollar source license?

Maybe somebody like BMUG or MacTutor could handle making disks & photocopying
the docs, and then pay a royalty to Symantec for each copy sold...

It's a shame that such a well-done and useful product is unobtainable
because someone decided it wasn't worth selling.

--

pete@cavevax.ucsb.edu (GurgleKat) (12/04/89)

In article <7111@portia.Stanford.EDU>, xpress@jessica.Stanford.EDU (Brad Hochberg) writes:

> [Symantec's Capps Editor Toolkit]
> Symantec...  said that I could legally copy it because they no longer make
> a profit by selling it.

Nope. At the very least, you will have to double-check the information they
gave you. I asked the very same question of Symantec's customer support people
on CompuServe and the answer was a resounding NO. Be careful.
--
Pete Gontier   : pete@cavevax.ucsb.edu; outgoing .UUCP cause me grief
Hire this kid  : Mac, DOS, C, Pascal, asm, excellent communication skills

"This was it. This was what he was, who he was, his being. He forgot to eat.
 Sometimes he'd resent having to leave the deck to use the toilet..."
                                              -- William Gibson, _Neuromancer_

CXT105@PSUVM.BITNET (Christopher Tate) (12/05/89)

In article <1593@intercon.com>, amanda@intercon.com (Amanda Walker) says:

>It's a shame that such a well-done and useful product is unobtainable
>because someone decided it wasn't worth selling.

[ re: Capps ]

I should think that once Symantec (or whoever) decides that it's no longer
worth selling, then there'd be no objection to releasing it to the public
domain.  If need be, they could retain the copyrights to try to keep it as
a purely "instructional" product.

As Amanda said, it's a shame that Capps' is no longer available.  Several
people responded to my question on editor/word-processor data structures with
the statement that I should try to get hold of a copy of Capps', since it
is apparently "done right:" clean and tight and elegant.

-------
Christopher Tate                  |  "Hear perfect strangers call you by name,
cxt105@psuvm.psu.edu              |   Pay good money to hear "Fire and Rain"
 ..!psuvax1!psuvm.bitnet!cxt105   |   Again and again and again....
cxt105@psuvm.bitnet               |   That's why I'm here!"   -- James Taylor

mullerd@prism.CS.ORST.EDU (06/15/91)

Can anyone give me information on this product?
I would greatly appreciate any information on competing
products as well.

	Thank You

bradk@wimsey.bc.ca (Brad Kollmyer) (06/15/91)

In article <1991Jun14.204137.27178@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> mullerd@prism.CS.ORST.EDU writes:

>Can anyone give me information on this product?
>I would greatly appreciate any information on competing
>products as well.

Capps Editor toolkit was sold a few years ago, and I don't think it is
available any more. You might try Word Solution engine available from
Datapack. Their phone number is (800)327-6703. They offer a more complete
word processor toolkit.

Brad Kollmyer.