[comp.sys.mac.programmer] System 7 and Notification Manager

queloz@bernina.ethz.ch (Ronald Queloz) (06/04/91)

Where has the Notification Manager gone in System 7.0?

I'm using the NM traps documented in IM VI. Under system 6.0.x
everything was
ok and I got my notification (blinking apple, alert, sound). But now in
system 7 there is nothing, no blinking apple, no alert and no sound.

I realized that Apple's PrintMonitor has the same problems. You don't
get a
notification when there is a printing problem even when the settings say

to do so.
Same for QuickMail.

Anyone knowing what's going on?

Thanks!

Ronald B. Queloz

time@ice.com (Tim Endres) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun4.053532.27252@bernina.ethz.ch>, queloz@bernina.ethz.ch (Ronald Queloz) writes:
> Where has the Notification Manager gone in System 7.0?
>
> I'm using the NM traps documented in IM VI. Under system 6.0.x
> everything was
> ok and I got my notification (blinking apple, alert, sound). But now in
> system 7 there is nothing, no blinking apple, no alert and no sound.
>
> I realized that Apple's PrintMonitor has the same problems. You don't
> get a
> notification when there is a printing problem even when the settings say
>
> to do so.
> Same for QuickMail.
>
> Anyone knowing what's going on?

I get my notifications no problem. In 6.0.x. and in 7.0!
I use both "Sound, Blinking Icon" and "Sound, Alert" notifications
and both seem to work with no problems.

tim.

Tim Endres                |  time@ice.com
ICE Engineering           |  uupsi!ice.com!time
8840 Main Street          |  Voice            FAX
Whitmore Lake MI. 48189   |  (313) 449 8288   (313) 449 9208

nick@cs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (06/05/91)

I haven't checked in detail, but I think my NM code still works under 7.0.
I've certainly had notifications from some of the System 7.0 utilities as
well. (Of course, they now use the right-hand menu rather than the left...)

Will check if required...

	Nick.

--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
                nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcsun!ukc!lfcs!nick

rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) (06/12/91)

In article <676362366.59@egsgate.FidoNet.Org>
Ronald.Queloz@f98.n250.z1.FidoNet.Org (Ronald Queloz) writes:
> Where has the Notification Manager gone in System 7.0?
>
> I'm using the NM traps documented in IM VI. Under system 6.0.x
> everything was
> ok and I got my notification (blinking apple, alert, sound). But now in
> system 7 there is nothing, no blinking apple, no alert and no sound.
>
> I realized that Apple's PrintMonitor has the same problems. You don't
> get a
> notification when there is a printing problem even when the settings say
>
> to do so.
> Same for QuickMail.

QuickMail (up through version 2.2.3) is not entirely System 7-compatible.
It definitely has problems with notification. I've had no problem with
PrintMonitor, or any other apps which use the Notification Manager.

Rick Holzgrafe              |    {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!rmh
Software Engineer           | AppleLink HOLZGRAFE1          rmh@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.        |  "All opinions expressed are mine, and do
20525 Mariani Ave. MS: 3-PK |    not necessarily represent those of my
Cupertino, CA 95014         |        employer, Apple Computer Inc."

roland@dna.lth.se (Roland Mansson) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun4.053532.27252@bernina.ethz.ch> queloz@bernina.ethz.ch.UUCP (Ronald Queloz) writes:

>Where has the Notification Manager gone in System 7.0?

I spent several hours today to find a bug with notifications. Our app
works OK under sys 6, but under sys 7 NMInstall didn't work.

APple changed a field from Sicon to Icon. They did it to make it clearer
that they now accept both SICNs (as before) and color icons (new in sys 7)
as flashing small icons. I guess they check the size of the handle to
find if its a SICN or a color icon. Our app handed over a SICN *LIST*.
Sys 6 correctly used the first SICN in the list, but sys 7 ignores it.

Now for MY QUESTION: IM-6 tells you to submit a handle to a color icon
family if you want a color icon. Now, what resource type is that???
(I tried ics4, ics8, icl4, icl8 with no success).

(Rhe above is from memory - details could be wrong)
--
Roland Mansson, Lund University Computing Center, Box 783, S220 07 Lund, Sweden
Phone: +46-46107436   Fax: +46-46138225   Bitnet: roland_m@seldc52

boerned@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Dan Boerner) (06/13/91)

Try 'ics8' or 'ics4' or ics#'.  These are the small versions (16x16 pixels)
of the Icon Family.

Caveat:
I've never used the Notification Manager but have carnal knowledge about icons.

-Dan

time@ice.com (Tim Endres) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun12.221141.1266@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU>, boerned@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Dan Boerner) writes:
> Try 'ics8' or 'ics4' or ics#'.  These are the small versions (16x16 pixels)
> of the Icon Family.
>
> Caveat:
> I've never used the Notification Manager but have carnal knowledge about icons.

None of these work. I have tried all combinations.
Apple has documented something that so far no-one has accomplished.
(at least no-one on this net will admit to it).

Tim Endres                |  time@ice.com
ICE Engineering           |  uupsi!ice.com!time
8840 Main Street          |  Voice            FAX
Whitmore Lake MI. 48189   |  (313) 449 8288   (313) 449 9208

schorsch@oxy.edu (Brent William Schorsch) (06/14/91)

I read IM VI's notification manager and can recall nothing
on how to get a flashing SICN over whichever menu (apple, appl)
you want.  I have a product that works fine (doesnt try with
color SICN yet) in systems 6 & 7; but the SICN always appears
over the apple menu (NOte: I am only using SICN and sound in my
notification--it is from an INIT and not an app or DA)

Anyone know how to specify which menu?
Ando

jon@claris.com (Jon Thatcher) (06/14/91)

time@ice.com (Tim Endres) writes:

>In article <1991Jun12.221141.1266@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU>,
> boerned@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Dan Boerner) writes:
>> Try 'ics8' or 'ics4' or ics#'.  These are the small versions (16x16 pixels)
>> of the Icon Family.
>>
>> Caveat:
>> I've never used the Notification Manager but have carnal knowledge about
>> icons.

>None of these work. I have tried all combinations.
>Apple has documented something that so far no-one has accomplished.
>(at least no-one on this net will admit to it).

>Tim Endres                |  time@ice.com
>ICE Engineering           |  uupsi!ice.com!time

I'm in the same boat.  What's entertaining is that using an 'ics#' in
the NMRec works fine with System 6, but doesn't work at all with
System 7.0.  Actually, the icon has half-worked on two occasions so
far with 7.0, both after I was debugging around the NMInstall call.
I say "half-worked" because my icon was flashing above the Apple menu,
instead of the application menu!

I've just verified that PrintMonitor 7.0 uses its 'SICN' 1024 resource
in the NMRec, even on a color screen.  And it does flash the icon
in the right place.  Looks like the "icon family" is stillborn in
System 7.0 as far as NMInstall is concerned.

...5 minutes later...

Yep, the old 'SICN' works just fine with NMInstall and System 7.0 in
my app.  So much for that "7.0 studly" feature.  :-) :-)

--
-- apply standard disclaimer here --
Jon Thatcher, InterNet:thatcher@claris.com, UUCP:{ames,apple}!claris!thatcher

time@ice.com (Tim Endres) (06/16/91)

In article <173432@tiger.oxy.edu>, schorsch@oxy.edu (Brent William Schorsch) writes:
> I read IM VI's notification manager and can recall nothing
> on how to get a flashing SICN over whichever menu (apple, appl)
> you want.  I have a product that works fine (doesnt try with
> color SICN yet) in systems 6 & 7; but the SICN always appears
> over the apple menu (NOte: I am only using SICN and sound in my
> notification--it is from an INIT and not an app or DA)
>
> Anyone know how to specify which menu?

The manual clearly states that it will "depend". Application notifications
will be put in the app menu, except for faceless ones. INIT's and
other extensions without an app will go in the Apple menu.