[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MacsBug

proctor@cme.nbs.gov (Fred Proctor) (01/11/90)

I recently got my copy of Think C 4.0, and it came with MacsBug, the
debugger.  Unfortunately, the Think C documentation doesn't cover how
to use MacsBug.

I've tried the two standard "let's see what happens when I..." tricks--
double-clicking on it (Mandelbrot set, pretty strange), and put-it-it-the-
System-Folder-and-reboot (hangs up).

Can someone steer me in the right direction?  Just curious, really.

ma199at@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (L J Cris) (01/11/90)

In article <2521@manta.cme.nbs.gov>, proctor@cme.nbs.gov (Fred Proctor) writes:
> ...Unfortunately, the Think C documentation doesn't cover how
> to use MacsBug.
> I put it it the System Folder and reboot (hangs up).

Call APDA at 1-800-282-APDA to order the MacsBug Reference manual.
Macsbug should have loaded when it was put in the system folder and
rebooted. You should have seen "MacsBug Installed" under the
"Welcome to Macintosh" greeting.
If you aren't then something is wrong. (Not enough memory?)
Once loaded Macsbug has a simple on-line help. Just type help when you
have entered the debugger. You may enter the debugger with the
interrupt button.

-Cris Rys

kellogg@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu (Lars Kellogg-Stedman) (05/07/90)

Would some one out there be willing to mail me the latest version of
Macsbug (6.2 something beta)?  Or at least tell me if it's available anywhere
(apple.com?  I didn't see it...).

Thanks!

Lars
kellogg@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu

lindahl@violet.berkeley.edu (Ken Lindahl 642-0866) (09/11/90)

Hi,

Can someone tell me what version of Macsbug I should be using with my
Mac IIci running 6.0.5? And what I need to do to get it?

Ken Lindahl				lindahl@violet.berkeley.edu
Advanced Technology Planning,
Information Systems and Technology
University of California at Berkeley

das@Apple.COM (David Shayer) (09/12/90)

In article <1990Sep10.181816.16815@agate.berkeley.edu> lindahl@violet.berkeley.edu (Ken Lindahl   642-0866) writes:
>Can someone tell me what version of Macsbug I should be using with my
>Mac IIci running 6.0.5? And what I need to do to get it?

You can run MacsBug 6.1 on a Mac IIci.  You can order it from APDA.
On a Mac IIfx, you need MacsBug 6.2.  6.2a10 is the latest version.
I'm not sure where you get it from, it may be on Applelink, or MacDTS
might be able to tell you where to get it from.

David

bochner@lange.harvard.EDU (Harry Bochner) (09/12/90)

An independent Macsbug question: are there PD dcmd extensions for MacsBug
available at any ftp archive sites? Pointers/recommendations would be
appreciated.
Thanks,

Harry Bochner
bochner@das.harvard.edu

eyal@vis.toronto.edu (04/26/91)

Could a kind soul provide meinformation about the INIT macsbug,
basically how to work with it (or where i could get the info about
how to operate it).
thanx a lot, eyal

tisu@quads.uchicago.edu (Seth Tisue) (05/22/91)

When I run MacsBug 5.4 on my SE/30, it works in the sense that I can type
in commands and it will execute them, but the screen display is all messed
up; the letters appear as spaced-out dots, and once you scroll off the screen,
the display gets completely trashed.  Is there something I need to patch to
fix this, or do I need either an earlier or later version of MacsBug?  The
same file works fine on a Mac IIx with 13" color monitor.

(If I need a different version, can I get it via ftp, etc..?)

--
---- Seth Tisue                     USMail: c/o Plaster Cramp Press
---- (tisu@midway.uchicago.edu)                       P.O. Box 5975

tisu@quads.uchicago.edu (Seth Tisue) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May21.234346.8093@midway.uchicago.edu> tisu@quads.uchicago.edu (Seth Tisue) writes:
>When I run MacsBug 5.4 on my SE/30, it works in the sense that I can type
>in commands and it will execute them, but the screen display is all messed
>up; the letters appear as spaced-out dots, and once you scroll off the screen,
>the display gets completely trashed.  Is there something I need to patch to
>fix this, or do I need either an earlier or later version of MacsBug?  The
>same file works fine on a Mac IIx with 13" color monitor.
>
>(If I need a different version, can I get it via ftp, etc..?)

Ok, I've had my question answered; the most current version anyone knows about
is 6.2b5, and it is available on the Developer's CD, but not via ftp.

--

anders@verity.com (Anders Wallgren) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May22.201528.20404@midway.uchicago.edu>, tisu@quads (Seth Tisue) writes:

>Ok, I've had my question answered; the most current version anyone knows about
>is 6.2b5, and it is available on the Developer's CD, but not via ftp.

Wrong.  The most current version is 6.2 Final.

anders

lamont@convex.com (Bradley Lamont) (05/31/91)

Where can I get the latest version of Macsbug?  I have a
Mac SE with a Dove Marathon 030 accelerator.  The version
I was using crashes too often to be usable.

Thanks,
Brad Lamont
lamont@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (05/31/91)

In article <lamont.675705686@trojan> lamont@convex.com (Bradley Lamont) writes:
>Where can I get the latest version of Macsbug?  I have a
>Mac SE with a Dove Marathon 030 accelerator.  The version
>I was using crashes too often to be usable.

The latest version, 6.2.1, can be ftp'ed from ftp.apple.com.

     << Brian >>

| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"

Charles.E.Dubuque@dartmouth.edu (Charles E. Dubuque) (06/01/91)

In article <lamont.675705686@trojan>
lamont@convex.com (Bradley Lamont) writes:

> Where can I get the latest version of Macsbug?  I have a
> Mac SE with a Dove Marathon 030 accelerator.  The version
> I was using crashes too often to be usable.
>
> Thanks,
> Brad Lamont
> lamont@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

Anonymous FTP to ftp.apple.com
I think the pathway is dts/mac/utilities or something like that. The
new ResEdit is there too.

lamont@convex.com (Bradley Lamont) (06/03/91)

Thanks everyone,
I got the new copy of Macsbug

Later,
Brad Lamont

orion@iesd.auc.dk (Hjerre Faurschou Hviid) (06/17/91)

Hi,

Ehm, is there some kinda documentation for MacsBug floating around in
netland somewhere ????

Please answer by eMail..

(if this is a dumb questing, punch your keyboard --- the resulting impulse
will probably knock me out :-)

H. F. Hviid, Dat7     | - Marvin, he is all yours ...
orion@iesd.auc.dk     | - Thanks, Sahib !