[comp.sys.mac.programmer] System Error Handler

brad@gobi.jpl.nasa.gov (Brad Pickering) (06/15/91)

Could anybody point me in the direction of some source code or documentation
for how to create a custom DSAlertTab.  I've seen the description in IM which
seems fairly detailed on the format of this structure but I haven't been able
to get anything working.  I tried to setup a simple alert with some text an no
icon but no luck.  any information would be appreciated.

thanks

Brad Pickering
brad@gobi.jpl.nasa.gov
--

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (06/17/91)

In article <BRAD.91Jun14160728@gobi.jpl.nasa.gov> brad@gobi.jpl.nasa.gov (Brad Pickering) writes:
>Could anybody point me in the direction of some source code or documentation
>for how to create a custom DSAlertTab.  I've seen the description in IM which
>seems fairly detailed on the format of this structure but I haven't been able
>to get anything working.  I tried to setup a simple alert with some text an no
>icon but no luck.  any information would be appreciated.

There's a little documentation in Inside Mac, but I've never seen any
source code. The big question that has to be answered before you
proceed is "Why do you want to do this?" If I had to determine the
absolute hardest way to put up a dialog box, using the System Error
handler has got to be it!

Keith Rollin  ---  Apple Computer, Inc.
INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"But where the senses fail us, reason must step in."  - Galileo

brad@gobi.jpl.nasa.gov (Brad Pickering) (06/17/91)

I've been experimenting with getting MacMINIX (see comp.os.minix) to boot
straight from the floppy using as little help from the mac os as possible.
The boot code from a floppy gets control before any of the high level managers
(ie dialog manager) have been initialized.  My code has been crashing a lot
and I'm getting tired of the sad mac.  I'd like to have something a little
more descriptive like the error number for the reason of the crash.

since my original post I have been able to get a simple alert (just text)
to be displayed but I'd still like to talk to someone who knows the details
of how the System Error handler works.  My main question that remains is:
what value is saved in DSErrCode?  If I do SysError(1234) and there is no
alert for error 1234 so the default alert is used, then does DSErrCode still
contain 1234 or does it contain something else because the default alert is
being used?  My code gives me a value of zero but I'm not sure if the code
that prints this value is wrong or if DSErrCode is actually 0.

Any info would be appreciated.
Brad Pickering
brad@gobi.jpl.nasa.gov