[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Question on List Mgr.

kish@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kishore Sarathy) (06/17/91)

I am in the process of writing an editor for a statistical program.
I am using the List Manager & there are a few problems I can't seem
to fix. I would appreciate any hints/suggestions from  the mac
programmers in this news group.

Problem 1 : Highlighting of selected cells.
The program is  written such that clicking on a column or row heading
selects all the cells in  that column or row. I do this by repeatedly
calling LSetSelect. This works fine & all cells are properly
highlighted. If I now click on one of these highlighted cells, the
List Manager should unselect & invert all the previously selections &
select only the last cell I clicked on. Instead, the List mgr inverts
only new cell I clicked on. It does not invert the the other unselected
cells ! It works fine if my mouse click was on an unselected cell.
The selection flag I use now is lNoDisjoint.

Problem 2 : Selecting cells by pressing mouse & dragging.
I want to be able to select cells ( in rectangles ) by pressing the
mouse & dragging it. So I set the lExtendDrag flag also ( in addition
to lNoDisjoint). In this mode I cant seem to shrink selected cells by
moving the mouse in reverse i.e once the selection is made by dragging
the mouse, it can only be increased, not shrunk !

I am not very clear on how the List Mgr handles highlighting of
selections ( especially the way LClick operates).

This is my first program on the mac & obviously I am missing something !
The program is in Pascal & I am using Think Pascal 3.01.

Thanks in advance !!

Kishore Sarathy.

emmayche@dhw68k.cts.com (Mark Hartman) (06/18/91)

In article <50621@ut-emx.uucp>, kish@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kishore Sarathy) writes:

>I am in the process of writing an editor for a statistical program.
>I am using the List Manager & there are a few problems I can't seem
>to fix. I would appreciate any hints/suggestions from  the mac
>programmers in this news group.
> [lots of stuff about spreadsheet-like selection methods deleted]

With the "cell" references you're making, you seem to want to treat the
List Manager as though it could be a spreadsheet.  There's a Technote
that specifically warns against this.  You should try to find some other
way to do this.
--
Mark Hartman, N6BMO           "What are you just standing there for?  Where
Applelink: N1083 or BINARY.TREE      do you think you are, DIS-ney World??"