[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Shutdown before crash?

huff@mcclb0.med.nyu.edu (Edward J. Huff) (06/11/91)

When debugging an application (prepared with MPW 3.1) which is
likely to crash, is there any way to ask the finder, etc. to
write out all cached data to the disk prior to starting the
application?  I write out all MPW windows, etc., but sometimes
find for example that windows I closed recently in the finder
show up open upon resetting the machine.  Usually I run
disk first aid or Norton Utilities after such an event, but
it takes time.  Sometimes there is something to repair.

Does anyone know of a way to essentially go through
shutdown, then start the application?

jmatthews@desire.wright.edu (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun11.125742.1@mcclb0.med.nyu.edu>, huff@mcclb0.med.nyu.edu (Edward J. Huff) writes:
> When debugging an application (prepared with MPW 3.1) which is
> likely to crash, is there any way to ask the finder, etc. to
> write out all cached data to the disk prior to starting the
> application?  I write out all MPW windows, etc., but sometimes
> find for example that windows I closed recently in the finder
> show up open upon resetting the machine.  Usually I run
> disk first aid or Norton Utilities after such an event, but
> it takes time.  Sometimes there is something to repair.

Programmer's Key (that's a curly apostrophe if you try to Find it) version
1.4 of 4/10/91 found on "Lord of the Files" has a Command-Shift-Power
combination that "works just like the Restart command from the Special
menu in the Finder..." I find it works most of the time, but sometimes
I manage to crash badly enough to break even that.

Hope it helps. John
| John B. Matthews, jmatthews@desire.wright.edu, am103@cleveland.freenet.edu |
| "Now why would Mike Wallace be standing around on MY porch with a TV crew?"|

Edward.Rice@p4214.f421.n109.z1.FidoNet.Org (Edward Rice) (06/18/91)

Are you looking for something like this?  Inside Mac knows all...

FUNCTION PBFlushVol (paramBlock: ParmBlkPtr; async: BOOLEAN) : OSErr;

On the volume specified by ioNamePtr or ioVRefNum, PBFlushVol writes descriptive information about the volume, the contents of the associated volume buffer, and all access path buffers for the volume (if theyUve changed since the last time PBFlushVol was called).

 * Origin: "It's still in beta testing," Tom said pointedly. (1:109/421.4214)