[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Finder AppleEvent to open any object?

pers@ifi.uio.no (Per Siljubergs}sen) (06/18/91)

I've looked through my IM VI draft, but can't find any information
about which AppleEvents the Finder accepts.

Can anyone help me here?

Spesifically I want to send an AppleEvent that tell Finder to open
a given Finder object (i.e. FSSpec). The object may be of any kind;
application, DA, control panel, folder, whatever. Finder's response
should be the same as when a user double-clicks or chooses "Open"
with an item selected in a window.

tj@kona.cs.ucla.edu (Tom Johnson) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun17.172043.19745@ifi.uio.no> pers@ifi.uio.no (Per Siljubergs}sen) writes:
>I've looked through my IM VI draft, but can't find any information
>about which AppleEvents the Finder accepts.
>
>Can anyone help me here?
>
>Spesifically I want to send an AppleEvent that tell Finder to open
>a given Finder object (i.e. FSSpec). The object may be of any kind;
>application, DA, control panel, folder, whatever. Finder's response
>should be the same as when a user double-clicks or chooses "Open"
>with an item selected in a window.

I just ran across this (after being pointed in the right direction by
a friend--Hi Scott!).  Check out the AppleEvent Registry stack on the
Golden Master CD.  From these docs:

aeOpenSelection
Event Class:	aeFinderEvent
Event ID:	sope

Event Parameters:	keyword			default type
folder	(required)	aeDirectParameter	AliasType
selection (req)		aeSelectionKeyword	ListType

No Reply paramters and no possibe Errors.

This event opens the selection from the folder.  As always, the value of
aeSelectionKeyword must be an AEList of aliases, and these aliases must
all be located in the folder specified by aeDirectParameter.  These
aliases may point to any kind of object which the Finder can open.

Don't ask me what all this means, yet.  I've just started playing around
with this stuff myself.

Tom

Oh, yeah.  The above stuff was quoted without permission.  Hope it's alright.
--
Tom Johnson             "I put this moment.............................here
tj@cs.ucla.edu           I put this moment......................here