[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Unified Postscript Fonts {Was: Neat Idea for a System Extension}

robertk@rkrajewski.lotus.com (Robert Krajewski) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun7.101930.28539@athena.cs.uga.edu> fore@athena.cs.uga.edu (Howard Fore) writes:

   Then the laser fonts were divided further into one each for Bold,
   Italic, Bold Italic, and Roman (Book) faces. Now there is TrueType and Adobe's
   latest creation, Multiple Master (is this really any good?). Adobe fixed some
   of the problem with their TypeReunion (a truely awesome INIT, oops, system
   extension).

As soon as you buy the Adobe Plus Pack, you're going to run into font
menu clutter. Adobe will happily sell you Type Reunion, which pretty
much does what it's supposed to, but it can't work on font menus that
appear as list boxes, or use other non-standard presentations.

The real solution is to fix the problem at its source. There is a way
to unify the description of a Macintosh Type 1 font so that the family
variations do not appear in the enumerated list of fonts to begin
with. Some vendors unify their fonts in this manner, but Adobe
doesn't. I have Gill Sans and Perpetua from Monotype; the former is
not unified but the latter is.

Anyway, I would be very grateful if there was a utility out there that
performed this unification once and for all. Do such a beast exist ?

lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim) (06/13/91)

In article <ROBERTK.91Jun11120100@rkrajewski.lotus.com> robertk@rkrajewski.lotus.com (Robert Krajewski) writes:
>In article <1991Jun7.101930.28539@athena.cs.uga.edu> fore@athena.cs.uga.edu (Howard Fore) writes:
>
> Then the laser fonts were divided further into one each for Bold,
> Italic, Bold Italic, and Roman (Book) faces. Now there is TrueType and Adobe's
> latest creation, Multiple Master (is this really any good?). Adobe fixed some
> of the problem with their TypeReunion (a truely awesome INIT, oops, system
> extension).
>
>As soon as you buy the Adobe Plus Pack, you're going to run into font
>menu clutter. Adobe will happily sell you Type Reunion, which pretty
>much does what it's supposed to, but it can't work on font menus that
>appear as list boxes, or use other non-standard presentations.
>
>The real solution is to fix the problem at its source. There is a way
>to unify the description of a Macintosh Type 1 font so that the family
>variations do not appear in the enumerated list of fonts to begin
>with. Some vendors unify their fonts in this manner, but Adobe
>doesn't. I have Gill Sans and Perpetua from Monotype; the former is
>not unified but the latter is.
>
>Anyway, I would be very grateful if there was a utility out there that
>performed this unification once and for all. Do such a beast exist ?

Yes, a shareware or PD program called N-Font does this.  Font Harmony, which
comes with Suitcase II, also does this.  The Suitcase II manual also contains
an excellent discussion of the issues involved.

If you REALLY use fonts, this kind of unification doesn't solve all of the
problems.  I look at my Helvetica family and there is Light, Light Oblique,
Regular, Regular Oblique, Bold, Bold Oblique, Black, and Black Oblique.
And I don't even own all of the weights that are available!  Let's not even
talk about the Expert fonts...  (Yes, programmers do a lot more than just
program - especially if you're trying to run a one-man company.)

I think Adobe did the right thing here.  Type Reunion groups families better
than any unification could hope to do.  Service bureaus also have other users
to consider.  Some users will unify and some won't.  If the bureau used
unified families, the majority of users who didn't unify would not be able
to work with some fonts.  However, if you don't unify and use Type Reunion,
any user can print with any font.  List boxes and other nonstandard
presentations are just that - nonstandard; the HIG prefers menus.  Type
Reunion does work with pop-up menus in dialogs though.

As to Multiple Master, I can't see the average user really wanting or needing
it but I know some graphic designers who would love it.

+++
Lloyd Lim     Internet: lim@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu
              America Online: LimUnltd
              Compuserve: 72647,660
              US Mail: 215 Lysle Leach Hall, U.C. Davis, Davis, CA 95616

kenh@eclectic.COM (Ken Hancock) (06/18/91)

In article <ROBERTK.91Jun11120100@rkrajewski.lotus.com> robertk@rkrajewski.lotus.com (Robert Krajewski) writes:
>The real solution is to fix the problem at its source. There is a way
>to unify the description of a Macintosh Type 1 font so that the family
>variations do not appear in the enumerated list of fonts to begin
>with. Some vendors unify their fonts in this manner, but Adobe
>doesn't. I have Gill Sans and Perpetua from Monotype; the former is
>not unified but the latter is.

I have to disagree here.  Harmonizing families isn't the way to go
because it restricts you to 4 fonts/family: plain, italic, bold, bolditalic.
Take Helvetica.  You have Light/LI/Plain/PI/Bold/BI/Black/BI.  You could
harmonize them into two families, say Helvetica Light and Helvetica.
Bold the light and it gives you black.  But this becomes much more
complicated when you start talking Semibolds or even numerical weights
(as seen in Multiple Master demos).  The best solution is to have
true style menus.  None of the standard QuickDraw BS -- if the chosen
family has Light, Black, Semibold, Bold, etc., show them all in the
Style menu.

Apple currently has sample code which does exactly this for TrueType
fonts.  The logical extension would be to have developers have this
code for both TrueType and bitmap-driven (Type 1) fonts.

Ken

--
Ken Hancock             | INTERNET: kenh@eclectic.com
Isle Systems            | Compuserve: >INTERNET: kenh@eclectic.com

amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) (06/18/91)

In article <237@eclectic.COM> kenh@eclectic.COM (Ken Hancock) writes:
>Apple currently has sample code which does exactly this for TrueType
>fonts.  The logical extension would be to have developers have this
>code for both TrueType and bitmap-driven (Type 1) fonts.

Adobe Type Reunion does pretty much the same thing for Type 1 fonts.
It makes the Font menu hierarchical, with the available styles as a pullright
from the family name.  It seems quite compatible with most applications.

--
Amanda Walker						      amanda@visix.com
Visix Software Inc.					...!uunet!visix!amanda