[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Mac II, IIci video speed

stevep@wrq.com (Steve Poole) (06/18/91)

Perhaps someone can explain a couple of Mac II vs Mac IIci video issues.

First, I notice the IIci is tremendously faster when loading a startup
screen.  Is this due to ROM changes?  The II doesn't do any disk access
while loading (none audible, at least) so it wouldn't seem to be a bus
related/frame buffer location issue.

Second, I have simple animation application that performs a CopyBits()
between calls to WaitNextEvent().  The II is far and away faster than the
IIci.  I'd guess it's a factor of 3 or better.  Putting the animation
window onto a monitor using a NuBus video card makes no difference.

Both machines are running System 7.  The II has a SuperMac 24-bit card
and an Apple 8-bit card.  The ci has the onboard video and an Apple
8-bit card.  The only other difference in hardware is an Ethernet card
on the ci.  Same system extensions aside from the network.  Is this related
to the ci's integrated video in some way?  Thanks for any thoughts.

-- INTEL 80x86: Just say NOP -- Internet: stevep@wrq.com -- AOL: Spoole --

bitting-douglas@cs.yale.edu (Douglas Bitting) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun18.003913.14422@milton.u.washington.edu> stevep@wrq.com (Steve Poole) writes:
>Second, I have simple animation application that performs a CopyBits()
>between calls to WaitNextEvent().  The II is far and away faster than the
>IIci.  I'd guess it's a factor of 3 or better.  Putting the animation
>window onto a monitor using a NuBus video card makes no difference.

My guess would be (I don't own a IIci, but I hope to in the near future) that
it doesn't matter which monitor the animation takes place on (I am assuming
that you have a monitor in the built in port and one on a card).  The reason is
that the CPU still has to fight the video circuitry for memry access to the
built in video buffer for the monitor connected to the built in port...  So,
the monitor containing the animation will slow down even though it is not
responsible for the fight over the RAM bank containing the video buffer.
therefore, your animation will go slower... see what happens if you disconnect
a monitor from the built in video altogether --- no cycles should be stolen
from the CPU due to the video circuitry.

I hope that says what I meant it to say... :-)

>--
>-- INTEL 80x86: Just say NOP -- Internet: stevep@wrq.com -- AOL: Spoole --

Just an idea...
--Doug

--
Doug Bitting             | "And we know that in all things God works
PO Box 3043 Yale Station |  for the good of those who love him..."