[comp.sys.mac.programmer] getting rid of balloon help

schorsch@oxy.edu (Brent William Schorsch) (06/12/91)

This is only a suggestion (i.e. it may not work).  Try removing
Pack14's resource(s) from the system file.  (That package is the
help manager).	I am assuming that the system can gracefully
continue if it detects that the package is missing.

Ando

jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) (06/17/91)

Isn't it possible to write an INIT... I'm sorry... AN EXTENSION...
that short circuits Ballon Help or at least adds a new menu item to
Balloon Help that disables it?

Let's assume that you want Balloon Help as well as your menu bar
clock.  Is there a way to locate the menu slot to the LEFT of Ballon
Help and somehow add the clock there?  Obviously clocks like
SuperClock would have to be rewritten but hey... that's not so bad.
Be nice to have Balloon Help AND a menu clock.

Oh... I really like "Its Just a Clock" but you nkow what this app
should REALLY do?  It should float the clock in front of all windows
regardless of the topmost key window so that you always know what time
it is... much like a menu bar clock.

ORGANIZATION:  BLETCH (Bletcherous League of Evil Twisted Computer Hackers)
UUCP:          kzin!speaker@mimsy.umd.edu  INTERNET:   jtn@potomac.ads.com
SPOKEN:        Dark Hacker                 PHONE:      (703) 243-1611
FAVORITE MAGAZINE:   Midnight Engineer
TWISTED DIABOLICAL LAUGH:	Mwahh ah ha ha hah ha ha ha!

The Mythos of Dark Hacker:

"Controlled by the sinister and shadowy "suits" Dark Hacker now employs
the tools of computer science to free himself from the suit's will.
By day he is a lackey... but at night when the city sleeps he
becomes.... DARK HACKER!"

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (06/17/91)

In article <173330@tiger.oxy.edu>, schorsch@oxy.edu (Brent William Schorsch) writes:
> This is only a suggestion (i.e. it may not work).  Try removing
> Pack14's resource(s) from the system file.  (That package is the
> help manager).	I am assuming that the system can gracefully
> continue if it detects that the package is missing.

Even if the system can gracefully continue, I doubt all programs that
use ,or will use, the Help manager will be so lucky.

Even though you are suppose to use Gestalt to check for the existence
of various thinks, like the help manager, I wouldn't be surprised
to find System 7 specific programs that take the attitude: I only work
under Sys7, therefore don't bother to check for things that I *know*
exist in Sys7 - like the help manager.

--  Michael Peirce         --   outpost!peirce@claris.com
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--           & Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554, AppleLink: PEIRCE

peterc@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter Creath) (06/19/91)

I know I've seen an extension that turns Balloon Help on/off by hitting
Control-Help.  I'm not sure if that totally disables it or not, and I'm
not sure if I saw it on comp.binaries or on a local system, but I'll try
to get more info on it...