[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MPW and the console

rjohnson@seas.gwu.edu (Ray Johnson) (06/18/91)

In our current version of MPW (vers 3.0) we try to write output
to standard IO (such as using the writeln command in pascal).  However,
this version does not support standard IO and displays our output on
a dialog box that informs us that the console is not supported.

This is a major problem for us.  We are teaching a beginning asembly
language class here and we can not teach all of the in and outs of
Mac programming.  What is even more of a problem is that printing to the
console was supported in version 2.0!

Has anyone out there had the same problem?  Were you able to solve it?
Currently, we are considering going back to version 2.0 to solve this
problem.  Needless to say we would rather not be working backwards!

--
Ray Johnson
Internet: rjohnson@seas.gwu.edu       Phone: (202)994-6853

ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett) (06/19/91)

rjohnson@seas.gwu.edu (Ray Johnson) writes:

>In our current version of MPW (vers 3.0) we try to write output
>to standard IO (such as using the writeln command in pascal).  However,
>this version does not support standard IO and displays our output on
>a dialog box that informs us that the console is not supported.

If you want to build applications... MPW 3.2 has a 'SIOW' library
that makes console input and output available.
If building MPW tools is acceptable (i.e. programs that only run under
the MPW shell), then any tool can do input and output to console, under
any version of MPW. The console is not quite standard (input is buffered),
but close enough to the "real thing" (Unix) to do the job. Check out
the options in for the CreateMake tool via commando (type CreateMake...
where the ... is an ellipsis).

>--
>Ray Johnson
>Internet: rjohnson@seas.gwu.edu       Phone: (202)994-6853
>The George Washington University
--
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Lanett						mlanett@uiuc.edu

jess@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Jess M Holle) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun18.180140.10553@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mark Lanett) writes:
>If you want to build applications... MPW 3.2 has a 'SIOW' library >that makes console input and output available.
>If building MPW tools is acceptable (i.e. programs that only run under
>the MPW shell), then any tool can do input and output to console, under
>any version of MPW. The console is not quite standard (input is buffered),
>but close enough to the "real thing" (Unix) to do the job. Check out
>the options in for the CreateMake tool via commando (type CreateMake...
>where the ... is an ellipsis).

I assume that this is available from any MPW language. Am I correct in this
assumption? If not which languages is it available from (I'm interested in
MPW C and Pascal mainly).

Out of curiousity, how close does the SIOW library come to normal UNIX IO
and how does this coexist with the Mac environment in general?

An application "console" library is very sorely missing from 3.1. I am very
glad to hear that it's included in MPW 3.2. Now I just have to wait for
it to be released to average "Joe Smoes" like me :-)

Jess Holle