[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Questions from MAC beginner/computing old timer

graham@convex.com (Marv Graham) (06/20/91)

I have just begun to use a MAC.  I have use UNIX for 8 years and like it.
How close to a UNIX-like command interface is MPW?   I really like real
makefiles that aloow me to build several interrelated applications.  I
find ThinkC's projects hard to use in comparison.  Comments please?

I would also like opions/comments on AppMaker <=> Prototyper.  I would like
to use the better of these to ease my way into writing MAC applications in
conjunction with ThinkC.  Which do you recommend?  Something else?

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun19.203232.24353@convex.com> graham@convex.com (Marv Graham) writes:
>I have just begun to use a MAC.  I have use UNIX for 8 years and like it.
>How close to a UNIX-like command interface is MPW?

Imagine somebody took UNIX, changed all the command names, changed almost all
the options and metacharacters, and added a few mouse/window-oriented frills.
This is more or less how I view MPW.

Some of the frills (eg, Commando) are kinda nice.  The changed command
names are rectifiable.  The options aren't that important.  The metacharacters
are HORRID, because they're hard to remember how to type. (Option-shift-
scratch-your-underarm-K types of things.)

There are also numerous minor gotchas that sometimes make MPW behave in
ways UNIX never would.

On the whole, it's a livable environment for a UNIX refugee, though I vastly
prefer the real thing.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

shores@fergvax.unl.edu (Shores) (06/21/91)

In <1991Jun19.212528.24133@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:

>In article <1991Jun19.203232.24353@convex.com> graham@convex.com (Marv Graham) writes:
>>I have just begun to use a MAC.  I have use UNIX for 8 years and like it.
>>How close to a UNIX-like command interface is MPW?

>Imagine somebody took UNIX, changed all the command names, changed almost all
>the options and metacharacters, and added a few mouse/window-oriented frills.
>This is more or less how I view MPW.

A friend of mine here is working on a command-line interface.  I've
played around with a development version.  I don't really enjoy all the
typing involved with these things, but since most of the few commands
he's implemented perform just as they do in unix, it would probably be a
godsend for unix/DOS diehards.  Myself, I was impressed with being able
to do things with wildcards, about the only thing I envy in unix.

   Tom... Tommy... Thomas... the Tom-ster, the Tom-boy, the Tomminator...
   ... Tom Shores, Department of Mathematics, University of Nebraska.
   ... shores@fergvax.unl.edu

francis@zaphod.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (06/21/91)

In article <shores.677458596@fergvax> shores@fergvax.unl.edu (Shores) writes:

   A friend of mine here is working on a command-line interface.  I've
   played around with a development version.  I don't really enjoy all the
   typing involved with these things, but since most of the few commands
   he's implemented perform just as they do in unix, it would probably be a
   godsend for unix/DOS diehards.  Myself, I was impressed with being able
   to do things with wildcards, about the only thing I envy in unix.

Under Sys7 you can do a Find, by whatever criterion you like, and click
the "All at Once" button to select all files matching the criterion.
You can then do whatever you want with them.

This is a nice way to get wildcards of the form part*, *part, and
*part* (and their negations, which I don't think Unix does); it's not
as nice as general regexps, but you can search by file type,
modification date, etc.

It's getting there.  :-)

--
| Francis Stracke	       | My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|