[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Balloon Help

GHGAQA0@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be (Karl Pottie) (06/05/91)

I've been told that it is possible to add balloon help to an app,
without any programming, just by adding the necessary resources
Since I live in Europe, I couldn't get hold of IM VI yet.
Could somebody please explain in detail how to go about
in adding balloon help ?

Karl

marty@cernvax.cern.ch (hugues marty) (06/05/91)

In article <1CE00001.he1q32@tbomb.ice.com> time@ice.com writes:
>You get an application called "BallonWriter" and you install an INIT
>called BalloonWriter INIT and place it in the Extensions folder.

Where can I get an update of BalloonWriter? I have version
1.0a6, but it crashes... (must be the one from the 7.0b1 cd-rom)
tnx for any help

ps - it would be great if it was on ftp.apple.com...

Hugues.
--
e+ ----> :-) <---- e-                         e-mail :
Les Chercheurs de Bosons Unifies              marty@cernvax.cern.ch

time@ice.com (Tim Endres) (06/05/91)

In article <91156.133445GHGAQA0@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be>, Karl Pottie <GHGAQA0@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be> writes:
> I've been told that it is possible to add balloon help to an app,
> without any programming, just by adding the necessary resources
> Since I live in Europe, I couldn't get hold of IM VI yet.
> Could somebody please explain in detail how to go about
> in adding balloon help ?
>
> Karl

You get an application called "BallonWriter" and you install an INIT
called BalloonWriter INIT and place it in the Extensions folder.

THEN, you launch BallonWriter, as it to "attach" to an application
file that you specify. Then you ask it to load a balloon for each
resource in the Application. Then you add balloon help to the various
balloons for your MENUs DLOGs and WINDs and any other special ones
you want (custom, based on Window title or Kind). Finally, you ask
BW to write a NEW application file with the help built in.

Voila! Help.

Tim Endres                |  time@ice.com
ICE Engineering           |  uupsi!ice.com!time
8840 Main Street          |  Voice            FAX
Whitmore Lake MI. 48189   |  (313) 449 8288   (313) 449 9208

kpottie@icarus.cs.kuleuven.ac.be (Pottie Karl) (06/06/91)

Where can I get 'Balloonwriter' ? Could somebody mail it to me ?

omh@cs.brown.edu (Owen M. Hartnett) (06/07/91)

Since a lot of the menu items are pretty standard, the about box, the
file menu, the edit menu, etc. does anyone have a set of balloons
which already has this info filled in?  Or is it possible to rip the
balloon text out of the finder?

-Owen

Owen Hartnett				omh@cs.brown.edu
"FAITH, n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks
		without knowledge, of things without parallel."
			-Ambrose Bierce - The Devil's Dictionary

Mike.Lininger@p21.f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Mike Lininger) (06/10/91)

PK> Where can I get 'Balloonwriter' ? Could somebody mail it to me

I have been after it as well for some time.  Everyone has seem to have heard
about it, but no one knows where it can be found.

I assume that BalloonWriter is from the Apple, like ResEdit.  Am I correct?

Also, I seem to remember reading about another BalloonHelp program in MacWeek
several months ago.  At the time I was not that interested in System 7 so I
just glanced at the article or ad.

Is BalloonWriter it or are there other utilities like it out there?

Mike

--
Mike Lininger via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!20.21!Mike.Lininger

zben@ni.umd.edu (Ben Cranston) (06/12/91)

In article <286438.28539A07@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG>
Mike.Lininger@p21.f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Mike Lininger) writes:

> I have been after it as well for some time.  Everyone has seem to have heard
> about it, but no one knows where it can be found.
> I assume that BalloonWriter is from the Apple, like ResEdit.  Am I correct?

BalloonWriter should be on the final System 7 CD, the "Lord of the Files"
developer CD, and the Develop magazine volume 6 CD.  N.B. a subscription
to Develop is not that expensive $30.00 US or $50.00 foreign for 4
quarterly issues.  On the other hand, a CD player is NOT cheap...  :-(

paulr@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Paul Russell) (06/14/91)

From article <676362172.36@egsgate.FidoNet.Org>, by Karl.Pottie@f98.n250.z1.FidoNet.Org (Karl Pottie):

> Since I live in Europe, I couldn't get hold of IM VI yet.

I bought a copy of IM 6 in Berlin last week. Where abouts
in Europe are you ?

//Paul

--
           Paul Russell, Department of Experimental Psychology
         University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton BN1 9QG, England

rjc@css.itd.umich.edu (Robert John Churchill) (06/21/91)

In Article 26294, peterc@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter Creath) writes:
>  I know I've seen an extension that turns Balloon Help on/off by hitting
>  Control-Help.  I'm not sure if that totally disables it or not, and I'm
>  not sure if I saw it on comp.binaries or on a local system, but I'll try
>  to get more info on it...

That sounds exactly like "Help Meister", an extension (INIT) I wrote to
allow you to toggle Balloon Help on and off via pressing control-Help on
an ADB extended keyboard. Note: it does NOT make the Balloon Help menu
icon disappear.

However, "Help Meister" is available for ftp'ing from the mac.archive.umich.edu
archives... look inside of  /mac/system.extensions/init  for the file
help-meister.sit.hqx

(Disclaimer(s): I work for the UM mac archives, I wrote the INIT, and just
 today, Randy Carr at Apple (who wrote the Help Manager) sent me thanks for
 Help Meister!  Yes, this is horn tooting, I know... but thanks, Randy!)

--
  Robert_John_Churchill@um.cc.umich.edu
  University of Michigan ITD Consulting & Support Services

mxmora@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) (06/22/91)

In article <1991Jun20.183536.26867@terminator.cc.umich.edu> rjc@css.itd.umich.edu (Robert John Churchill) writes:
>That sounds exactly like "Help Meister", an extension (INIT) I wrote to
>allow you to toggle Balloon Help on and off via pressing control-Help on
>an ADB extended keyboard. Note: it does NOT make the Balloon Help menu
>icon disappear.
>
>However, "Help Meister" is available for ftp'ing from the mac.archive.umich.edu
>archives... look inside of  /mac/system.extensions/init  for the file
>help-meister.sit.hqx

Robert,

I had problems with help Meister and Programmers On Line Companion (POLC).

After I installed the Help Meister, POLC no longer worked. The
small window would come up but I was unable to type any characters
into the window. And I can't live without POLC :-)

Matthew Mora                |   my Mac  Matt_Mora@sri.com
SRI International           |  my unix  mxmora@unix.sri.com

rjc@css.itd.umich.edu (Robert John Churchill) (06/22/91)

In Article 26435, mxmora@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) writes:
> I had problems with help Meister and Programmers On Line Companion (POLC).
>
> After I installed the Help Meister, POLC no longer worked. The
> small window would come up but I was unable to type any characters
> into the window. And I can't live without POLC :-)

Hi Matt,

I own "The Programmer's Online Companion" as well, just haven't used it in
quite a while. I dug out the disk and tried using it. It worked with no
problems along side of "Help Meister" being toggled both on and off. Note
that I have version 2.0 of POLC and didn't "install" it, I just copied it
over to my hard drive. I was able to type, cmd-Click on items, etc.

Could you try using POLC and Help Meister with no other CPs or extensions?
Please e-mail me with your results (to save on net bandwidth). I'll do my
best to help you get HM running. Let me know what version of POLC you have
as well, ok?

As a side note to everyone: please, if you are using "Help Meister" and
have noticed any problems, let me know... EVEN IF YOU HAVEN'T SENT IN THE
$5 I REQUESTED FOR USAGE. (Note: so far, even though several people on the
net asked for an extension like "Help Meister", only TWO have sent in their
$5... yep, shareware is alive and kickin'!) Anyway, I will do my darndest
to get it working for ANYONE so that they can use it a while and decide
whether they like it! PROMISE.